WOW Certainly a Lot of Spammers Lately

Place to complain that the intertoobs isn't doing what it should be

WOW Certainly a Lot of Spammers Lately

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:46 pm

Been lots of them getting through (especially with emails ending with @moneymakingtips.list) so I changed it so that all new users have to go through me. We don't have high enough traffic that I think this'll overwhelm me. We'll see how it goes

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: WOW Certainly a Lot of Spammers Lately

Postby Klcp » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:09 pm

THANK YOU!!!
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:03 pm

AAANNNDD Caught my first one. Surprise, Surprise, @moneymakingtips.list. Hope you don't mind waiting in the queue a very Very VERY long time...

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Suddenly, I have the urge to create a website with email accounts and sign in with about a hundred puppet accounts...
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:32 am

Went to the phpbb forums and found out this spam invasion seems endemic. Fortunately there are a few plug-ins I don't have and have downloaded one. We'll put it in and see how it goes...

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:16 pm

Welp, the new re-Captcha seems to be working like a charm. No spammers have gotten through for a couple of days now. Course, saying this jinxed the whole thing...

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:38 pm

Hello am trying to get back instated. Am for nigerian diplomat and buy stuff at website you can. Cheap cheap. You go there with link and bring friends.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:41 am

CONTENT REMOVED.
Sister Sonya

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:01 am

Yep, I got one of them in my mailbox today (my personal one, not the one here). That was what I left the message about on your phone this morning.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:46 am

What's weird is that I got that same spam in one of my other personal mailboxes, not the one I use for this account... :evil:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:00 pm

It probably all started with me. I got that spam email several times last week from Frank. I never opened them but somehow they hacked my Yahoo account and sent a spam email sometime last night. I'm guessing they got into Mike's account too and posted it here (thus why it's now missing, I deleted it). So if I have your email, it was probably sent by me. It'd be best for you to change your password like I did (and for gods sake don't open it or click the link).

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:57 am

Marcalicious: I've had to temporarily block your email address from my home email. My server is sending additional spam messages.
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:07 am

Hmm I changed my password so they shouldn't be able to get back in and I'm not receiving the "Not Deliverable" messages. They've all been from me?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:35 am

Mike and Mark:. Update your anti-virus programs and run them just to be sure it's not something hiding in your systems. Then switch passwords again.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:32 am

Can't be a virus. I don't download my email. I leave it entirely on yahoo. So they must have hacked the email account. Changing the password should have worked.

EDIT: It also occured to me that I have two separate emails for Mike so it could have sent them twice.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:28 am

Ok we're being innundated with spammers ever since the beginning of GenCon (hmm they wait till I'm away, brilliant of them...) so I switched the registration process to require Admin approval (maybe that'll slow em down for a while).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:20 am

Or you could just stop going to cons. Thus seems to be the regular pattern. Mark goes to con. Spammers appear. Very clear cause and effect.
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:24 am

spizio wrote:Or you could just stop going to cons. Thus seems to be the regular pattern. Mark goes to con. Spammers appear. Very clear cause and effect.

Fell for the classic "Correlation" vs. "Causation" did we? ;)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:56 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
spizio wrote:Or you could just stop going to cons. Thus seems to be the regular pattern. Mark goes to con. Spammers appear. Very clear cause and effect.

Fell for the classic "Correlation" vs. "Causation" did we? ;)

If we could apply the scientific method to this we may be able to prove causation. We would of course need to observe other states of being. Such as having you skip a con, I'm sure Her Majesty would approve. We could also have you go away but not to a con, again HM would probably approve. We need to check out all the variables before we jump to any conclusions.
spizio

Postby DrKwang » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:19 pm

We have that second one. How were the spammers after your cruise in July?

A further point of consideration: does the effect only apply to out-of-town cons? Did you have spammer problems after TotalCon or OGC?
DrKwang

Postby Lady Grace » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:23 pm

I think the spammers in general have been a lot more aggressive. One of the other forums I'm on has been hit by the veritable flood (and some of them have been the same ones that hit here).
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby spizio » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:51 pm

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff" - The Doctor
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:11 am

Restored the system to email verification, we'll see if the spammers flood us (and if so, I'll go back to doing it by hand).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:58 am

Good peoples

I represent the family of Castle-Ian noble people's. They lives in part of the Side of country invaded with Montains. Please to be helping them get guilders out to free lands?! Please to send you bank information and we will be transfer money to u. You can then keeps 100000 guilders. Need all you to do is transfer 9000000$ to account we will tell you about after money sent to you. It is like free money!,, how can you say no to this oppertuniti?
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:55 pm

spizio wrote:Good peoples

I represent the family of Castle-Ian noble people's. They lives in part of the Side of country invaded with Montains. Please to be helping them get guilders out to free lands?! Please to send you bank information and we will be transfer money to u. You can then keeps 100000 guilders. Need all you to do is transfer 9000000$ to account we will tell you about after money sent to you. It is like free money!,, how can you say no to this oppertuniti?

I'm gonna go ahead and give you a 3 on this Scott. While I appreciate your obvious mis-spellings and the ludicrous amounts of money you quoted, you heavily borrowed from any of a hundred scams and simply changed the names to fit 7th Sea. Plus, there is not a single ALL CAPS word in the whole thing.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Next

Return to Website Issues