Year 3 to Year 4 Changeover

Place to complain that the intertoobs isn't doing what it should be

Year 3 to Year 4 Changeover

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:32 pm

We're down to the wire on Year 3 Conventions (just Con on the Cob left to go), so it's time to start talking about what changes you'd like to see.

Things I know need to be done.

1) As of next year the Templates need to have XP added (to keep the n00bs from being completely overshadowed by you veterans).

2) Along with that we need upgrade a new set of templates for our new Completed Character sheets (so folks who didn't make characters ahead of time will have something to play, since there won't be time to make characters at the table anymore).

3) Also, the Character Creation page needs to be tweaked to reflect that players now get to add both HP and XP (for those who are late to joining us but early enough to make their own character).

4) I need to add in a "Retired Events" page that will detail the 'official' results of the first two adventures so you all can remember what happened (up to) 4 years ago when you started all this ;)

5) The Town Crier page needs an update to reflect the events of Year 3's PAs (for those of you who didn't play through all of them).

6) Not sure how much there is to do here yet but I need to update the People page (with both descriptions and pics)

7) As usual, I need to update the Conventions page with all the correct dates/times for 2014 events.

8) Though I've been putting it off, I really need to knuckle down and fix all the Crystal Keep PDFs to reflect HoA and then create a page for (or simple link them to the Character Creation page)

EDIT 9) Add the descriptions of the two newest releases to Episode Listing (and either take the first two out or make a link to the full description/mention they are retired).

SECOND EDIT 10) Fix the Links page as Poisoned Shadows is now gone :(

That's all I thought of, anyone else have any suggestions?
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Year 3 to Year 4 Changeover

Postby kenderleech » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:33 pm

My link to poisoned shadows works fine.
kenderleech

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:57 pm

hmm, when I typed it in it worked fine (though there are significantly fewer links within the site that still work) I'll have to adjust the web addy then...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:34 pm

Steps 1 and 2 are on me. I volunteered for it. There will be no more templates, just pregens. Each year we will have 20. This year it will be the 10 current pregens and 10 upgraded templates. In year 5 we will 0ut the original 10 on sabbatical and upgrade 10 more templates. I would leave the system as is but episode 4, 5 and 6 all run long and we can't spare time for players to debate about spending 30+ points. We had players this year that couldn't work it out during the entire session.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:02 pm

I figured we'd keep the Templates here on the site and let folks who sign up early (and want to use them as the basis for characters) do so before sitting down at the table. But I suppose we could simply leave them "as is" and tell folks to add 30HP and some XP too.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:42 am

I think it would just be better if they were already upgraded to where you want them to be for the games, as I know people are lazy (taking myself in consideration), and may print out the template, and say "Oh, I'll fix it later", but later usually ends up during game time, so making them up to grade now is easier on you in the long run. Or they are not sure exactly how you are "creating" your numbers for the pips, like your short cuts, etc... and again its easier to have them all set and ready, than to have to go through 10 dozen during game time (along with teaching the newbies the rules).
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:55 am

I think you're misunderstanding my comment. The Completed Character Sheets will be the only things available if you sit down at the game without having previously made a character. So the 20 that Dave is taking care of is all you can use if you didn't already drop by here before the game started.

However, for those who do drop by earlier, I don't know whether to leave the templates 'as is' and tell them to add HP and XP or upgrade them to have the XP added so all the players will have to do is add the HP.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:36 am

Yes, I understood what you ment, is that "earlier" as in arrive half an hour or so before we game so that they can play with the points (or like now with no gaming time), and what I am saying is that it is not good enough.

Having them all ready and set to go keeps them up to date, and ready to play without having to wait to have someone "fix" it during play, because everyone always wants to or needs to change it half a dozen times before they get it "right". But they have all the time they want to change it after the game to what they want, if they are already "set" to a particular point in their creations.

Yes, I know there are some players out there that will and do fix and create their characters quickly, and there are a lot like me, who are not sure of the rules, all of the short cuts, and again, are lazy and wait til the last minute to even think of a character. I'm trying to get you to have all things ready to play, so that you don't have to walk through short cuts, etc.... with the unsure players, so all we have to do is sit them down, and play and you can point out the rules while playing. I would also like to point out that, like I said to you many times, I am not as good as you are in setting up characters and knowing the shortcuts and rules, so it also helps me out, when I'm running new people, rather than haveing to keep interrupting you to have them done.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby spizio » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:03 pm

What I'm interpreting Mark as saying is; earlier means is nonprocrastinators. People who want the option of customizing. These are the players who are working their characters and likely posting them for review in the weeks before the con. So that everything is worked out before they hit the table. In fact you might want to add to the templates a note to post them for review to save time at the table just in case. If you get unprepared people at the table just hand them a pregen and tell them they have to play that. Well actually let them choose from amongst the pregens. They can then transfer experience to whatever they want to build.

Another thought might be to have a slot of just character prep at each con.
spizio

Postby salamanca » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:41 pm

Scott got it right on this. Earlier means online BEFORE the convention takes place. That said, we still have time at any event to look over a completed character at the start of a session for scratch builders. But we will not have time to sit at a table and spend (and explain what each knack and advantage does) 30 hp and 8xp for 6 players. To let you all behind the curtain a second, I am also looking at the emplates with the goal of removing the over used ones and encouraging the overlooked in an effort to balance nationalities, skill sets and talents. (making the character pool more diverse).
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Dave's taking on the template duties, and I've already written up the complete Ep 1&2 run-throughs. Anyone else have any suggestions for changes to make that haven't already spoken up?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:56 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:Things I know need to be done.

1) As of next year the Templates need to have XP added (to keep the n00bs from being completely overshadowed by you veterans).

2) Along with that we need upgrade a new set of templates for our new Completed Character sheets (so folks who didn't make characters ahead of time will have something to play, since there won't be time to make characters at the table anymore).

3) Also, the Character Creation page needs to be tweaked to reflect that players now get to add both HP and XP (for those who are late to joining us but early enough to make their own character).

4) I need to add in a "Retired Events" page that will detail the 'official' results of the first two adventures so you all can remember what happened (up to) 4 years ago when you started all this ;)

5) The Town Crier page needs an update to reflect the events of Year 3's PAs (for those of you who didn't play through all of them).

6) Not sure how much there is to do here yet but I need to update the People page (with both descriptions and pics)

7) As usual, I need to update the Conventions page with all the correct dates/times for 2014 events.

8) Though I've been putting it off, I really need to knuckle down and fix all the Crystal Keep PDFs to reflect HoA and then create a page for (or simple link them to the Character Creation page)

EDIT 9) Add the descriptions of the two newest releases to Episode Listing (and either take the first two out or make a link to the full description/mention they are retired).

Ok, been hard at work this morning. Since Dave is doing 1 & 2, I took care of 3, 4, 7, & 9

If anyone has a free couple of minutes, poke around the main site and let me know if everything looks ok.

EDIT: Took care of 5 also.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:39 am

Noticed two other things I need to take care of. Sir Ian's site seems to have gone to 404 heaven, and Poisoned Shadow needs a new link.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:49 am

I hate strange while "stones". I greatly prefer white ones.

In the episode list you may want to remove the underlines from the current adventure names to emphasize that the retired ones are links.
Last edited by spizio on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:30 am

spizio wrote:I hat strange while "stones". I greatly prefer white ones.

Huh?

spizio wrote:In the episode list you may want to remove the underlines from the current adventure names to emphasize that the retired ones are links.

Unfortunately I set that up as a header in the css file, and if I change those I change all the headers on the site.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:43 am

I hate while stone.

Despite being artistic you are not allowed to make up new colors.

Reread the description to professor screams like a girl's adventure.
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:56 am

Ah found (and fixed) it!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:16 am

I still need to get my butt in gear and put in the "Year 4" Character Templates... I'm thinking I will just make a different section for them, probably at the top of the Character Sheets page.

And lets not forget the edited Crystal Keep cheatsheets

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:21 am

Laura mentioned this on the OGC thread, but I need to fix the dates for the con!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:39 pm

Dates for OGC fixed on the main site.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Return to Website Issues