At the Altamira Cathedral

Is your hero looking to reach out to their fellows? Here's the place to do it.
Forum rules
Just a reminder that all posts in this forum should be in character and unless you address your comments to a specific person in the subject line, assume that anyone (PCs and NPCs both) can (and will) 'overhear' your conversation.

Re: At the Altamira Cathedral

Postby Rafael » Thu May 17, 2012 6:08 pm

Rafael nodded and grinned, "Excellent, I think that allows for all of us to participate in the acquisition of this winged mouse."

He looked to Sister Sonya and smiled to her, "Sister Sonya do you believe perhaps your grounds keeper would have a ladder he would be wiling to lend us for a short moment?"

His attention then moved to Doctor Miguel, "Also Doctor Miguel have you your bag ready to make sure if misfortune befalls me I will have the best medical care in the cathedral?"

Rafael smiled and awaited a reply.
Rafael

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Fri May 18, 2012 12:04 am

Miguel has a look of concern, "Hopefully it does not come to that, but just to be safe I will go to my coach straight away and return with my medical bag." Miguel then quickly heads for the door.
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Sister Sonya » Fri May 18, 2012 12:50 am

Sonya remembers where the ladder may be found, "I'll get it myself," and off she goes to get it.
Sister Sonya

Postby Orianna » Fri May 18, 2012 7:53 am

Orianna watched as the doctor and the priest left. Finding herself alone with a member of the nobility, she smiled nervously.

Should I curtsy again? Perhaps I shouldn't speak unless he speaks to me first. Then again, "Castille is a modern nation," so maybe not...

"Oh, I nearly forgot this." She removed her veiled hat, a little hesitantly. Please don't notice the hair, please don't notice the hair... "I hope it will be sufficient. It's a thin fabric, but it stretches a bit, so the winged mouse won't hurt himself if he wakes up and starts fluttering."

Footsteps echoed from somewhere in the cathedral—perhaps Doctor Miguel or Sister Sonya returning? Orianna reached out, offering the hat and veil to Don Rafael. "You know," she mused, "I think it will be very helpful for your charity if you sing with the choir once in a while. It will show everyone that you're personally invested, and when other members of the nobility see how much you're admired for it, perhaps they will follow your example." Her smile vanished, replaced by a look of trepidation. "Not that it's any of my concern to speak of such things, of course..."
Orianna

Postby Sister Sonya » Fri May 18, 2012 11:18 am

Sonya dragged the ladder back to where the others were waiting. It was not the weight, precisely, that was giving her difficulty; it was that she was almost as out of shape as the doctor.
Rafael wrote:"Sister Sonya, I don't recommend you climbing up to the belfry. I don't believe I'm a superior athlete but as I did mention being on a ship does allow for a man to gain some benefits." OOC: climb 5k3

She smiled, remembering Rafael's comment. Why did men often underestimate women? Under aliases, she had participated in two military campaigns on board ships. OOC: climb 5k2

Oh, well! Sometimes one must swallow one's pride, even though it may be difficult. "So, when our physician returns we are ready to go, eh?

Senorita, you shall soon have your winged mouse. Senor, you soon shall have our admiration."
Sister Sonya

Postby Rafael » Fri May 18, 2012 1:52 pm

Rafael smiled and walked over to Sister Sonya.
"Please allow me to assist you. The ladder will be a
bit of a chore to get up those stairs."

Rafael paused as he smelled some familiar scents
when he got close to Sonya.

"Pardon is someone hurt? I smelled some familiar
smells and am curious is all. If so perhaps Doctor Miguel
can take a look."

Rafael looked to see who could be injured the only person
close to him was Sonya.
Rafael

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Fri May 18, 2012 3:38 pm

Miguel returned with his medical bag a little winded, "I am ready ... Don Rafael ... hopefully I will not need ... to be of service."
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Orianna » Fri May 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Orianna glanced from Rafael to Sonya.

Injured? I have a bad feeling about this conversation. If anyone around here is injured and doesn't want to admit it, there's probably a serious reason.

"I'll help with the ladder as well," she offered. "The three of us can get it up the stairs, and Doctor Miguel will bring his bag." She nodded to the doctor. "I doubt I am as athletic as Don Rafael or Sister Sonya, so perhaps I ought to go at the head of the ladder to guide its progress. We wouldn't want to shatter any windows, or turn stained glass into bloodstained glass!"
Orianna

Postby Sister Sonya » Fri May 18, 2012 6:10 pm

Aside...

Rafael wrote:
<Rafael paused as he smelled some familiar scents
when he got close to Sonya.>

<I beg your pardon, sir? I'll have you know that I washed this morning and also applied some delicate scent of my own invention. Are you insinuating that it has failed and you are smelling perspiration?>

OOC: I'll be able to post only intermittently shortly as I'll be on vacation.
Sister Sonya

Postby Rafael » Fri May 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Rafael smiled and shock his head.

"No, Sister Sonya I said nothing of the sort. I was just wondering if someone was injured. The smell of antiseptic was in the air. I recall its familiar smell from my years at the University. Unless your invention uses said antiseptic. Which would be a marvel unto itself since it would refresh and keep one from contracting an infection. Perhaps it could be something for those recovering from injuries."

Rafael looked to Doctor Miguel and nodded, "I believe we are just about ready to depart on our trip to the bell tower and the bats that lay within."

"Senorita Orianna perhaps we can have you walk ahead to make sure the way is clear from any unexpected obstacle. I can ask for your veil later as we prepare to trek up the ladder to the bats roost."

Rafael turned to Sister Sonya, "Tell my Sister what end should I carry as we travel up to the belfry?"
Rafael

Postby Orianna » Sat May 19, 2012 9:00 pm

((OOC: I'm moving ahead a little here because I doubt going up the staircase is terribly exciting. I hope that's okay.))

Orianna gazed up at the dome; she had never felt so close to Paradise. She squinted, getting a closer look at the rafters. At least one beam had a cluster of dark shapes attached to it.

"I think I see some," she whispered, awestruck. She gestured to the beam. "Over there. Shall we set up the ladder?"

She tried to ignore the voice at the back of her head. I shouldn't be here. Something like me doesn't belong here.
Orianna

Postby Rafael » Sun May 20, 2012 4:18 am

"Yes Senorita Orianna, I do believe that would give us the best opportunity to capture a winged mouse. Now if I could borrow your veil for a short time."

Rafael set foot on the ladder and shook it a bit to make sure it was sturdy upon the beam. He then moved his hand down towards Orianna to carry the veil up with him.
Rafael

Postby Orianna » Sun May 20, 2012 11:07 am

"Ecco—I mean, here it is." Orianna tried to clear her head of the conflicting thoughts the dome inspired; she couldn't afford to lose herself now. She removed her hat once more and passed it to Don Rafael, curtsying briefly. "I'll help hold the ladder steady."

She gripped one side of the ladder in both hands and braced herself, then glanced at Doctor Miguel and Sister Sonya to see how they wanted to help.
Orianna

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Sun May 20, 2012 8:22 pm

Orianna wrote:She gripped one side of the ladder in both hands and braced herself, then glanced at Doctor Miguel and Sister Sonya to see how they wanted to help.

Miguel grabbed one part of the other side of the ladder while Sister Sonya grabbed the other. "We have this end, let's go on up," said Miguel.
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Rafael » Mon May 21, 2012 9:20 am

Rafael had been up in the belfry for some minutes.
He saw some bats and one seem a bit old. Another
seemed too young. He finally found one the right size
and quicky put the veil over it and began to descend. He
covered his head as the little creature began to make
nose waking his fellow bats take flight.

The swarm began to fly around the belfry in a fury and
then departed as one. Rafael looked to the group.

"Well that was interesting to say the least."

He smiled as he handed the animal to Orianna.

"Here you are Señorita Orianna."
Last edited by Rafael on Mon May 21, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rafael

Postby Orianna » Mon May 21, 2012 10:26 am

Orianna's face practically glowed with joy as she accepted the squirming bundle. She adjusted her veil so that it formed a sort of pouch, allowing the winged mouse some freedom of movement. "Don't be frightened, little winged mouse! I'll let you out as soon as I get you home."

She beamed at Rafael. "A thousand thanks, Don Rafael." Turning to Miguel and Sonya, she directed her smile at them. "And to you as well. It will be so nice to have a pet!"

Holding the winged mouse close to her, she began to sing.

"Mio pipistrello,
Dolce come agnello
Vieni a casa mia
Viviamo in allegria!"
Orianna

Postby Rafael » Mon May 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Rafael smiled, "Ah you speak Vodacce...Are you from the lands of the Princes? You don't strike me as a lady from those parts."

Rafael hopped off the ladder and looked at his coat a bit dusty and pulled out a hanker-chief and began to clean himself up.
Rafael

Postby Orianna » Mon May 21, 2012 8:02 pm

Orianna pulled the winged mouse closer, stroking its wings soothingly, though her own face was anything but calm.

"I came to Altamira from Mantua, yes," she said cautiously. "I, um, took a riverboat. It's a—I'm on, um—I'm doing some artistic work here," she finished weakly. "I don't know how long I'll be staying. Have you visited Vodacce, sir? It sounds like you're familiar with the language, at least enough to recognise it."

She glanced rather desperately at Sister Sonya. "Of course, Vodacce is similar to Théan in many ways. I find it remarkable, the ways languages meet and diverge, how they draw on each other, what changes and what stays the same. It would be a fascinating thing to study." Her gaze took in Doctor Miguel as well.

Perhaps they'll all start talking about scholarly things now and forget to ask me questions.
Orianna

Postby Rafael » Mon May 21, 2012 9:12 pm

Rafael nodded and smiled, "Oh your from Mantua? I have family in Mantua a second cousin on my mother's side of the family. She is a nice lady, some what quiet but very wonderful hostess. She would always treat us with a lovely blend of bread and olive oil. I recall needing to learn Vodacce since she only spoke that language and of course Thean. I do miss her at times, maybe I should arrange for a visit some months from now. It would be nice to see her."

Rafael noticed the strange way Orianna began to speak, "Are you well, did you catch a chill?"

At hearing her side profession he raised a eyebrow, "Your a painters model? Really? Whom do you pose for or is it for sculpture?"

Rafael gave a slight frown, "Oh you will be departing in some time? Tell me have you been to the local tavern? Its a wonderful place to meet and socialize. Also that is one of the only places that the Soldano wines are sold. Its a very rare treat to try a glass. They have even learned to make sangria with it. Of course the sangria is for the youngsters but it is nice to drink on a warm day as well."

At the mention of language Rafael smiled, "You are correct about languages. On my travels I picked up a language or two. Its very interesting to hear them and find some words are shared, perhaps a after affect of the Numan occupation so long ago."

"So will you be returning to Mantua after your stay here? I don't think traveling to Montaigne would be advised. I hear Avalon or Eisen are a bit more...receptive to visitors."
Last edited by Rafael on Mon May 21, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rafael

Postby Orianna » Mon May 21, 2012 9:24 pm

At this barrage of questions, Orianna blinked before composing her face into a smile.

"I didn't mention anything about being a model; I suppose I don't seem cultured enough to be an artist myself! I don't think I'm catching a chill. I'm a little nervous, though, being all the way up here. I hope nobody objects to our presence; we never did ask the Father's permission."

The winged mouse in her veil seemed to have gone back to sleep.

"I don't really know how long I'll be staying here; it will depend on the work opportunities. If I can make a life for myself here, perhaps I'll stay for good! I'll be sure to visit the tavern one day and try the sangria. It won't be today, though—as I mentioned, I don't have any money of my own at the moment."

She surprised herself with her own nonchalance at that last statement. "I have everything I need, though," she added. "My employer looks out for me."
Orianna

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Tue May 22, 2012 12:11 am

Rafael wrote:Rafael gave a slight frown, "Oh you will be departing in some time? Tell me have you been to the local tavern? Its a wonderful place to meet and socialize. Also that is one of the only places that the Soldano wines are sold. Its a very rare treat to try a glass. They have even learned to make sangria with it. Of course the sangria is for the youngsters but it is nice to drink on a warm day as well."

"Going to the local tavern is a great idea Rafael," Said Miguel. "My coach is waiting right out front, I can take us all there. The first round will be on me. It has been awhile since I have had a good Soldano wine."
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Rafael » Tue May 22, 2012 1:21 am

Rafael looked to Orianna, "Your hands are the reason I make the mention of not painting or sculpting. Your hands aren't stained from paint pigment or clay. Its more of a assumption then a reality of the situation. My father always said I should have taken an interest in being a magistrate, but I enjoyed the sea too much to be tied to the land for too long."

He smiled to Orianna,"Oh an employer? Do you perhaps mean a patron for your artistic endeavors? Have you any of your works on display anywhere we can see? Which one of the Don's has the great fortune to have you as an employee? And also as for the matter of the tavern you will be my guest. I feel it only proper since I seem to have offended you and I wish to make amends. Perhaps over dinner and I won't take no for an answer its a matter of family honor, I have a meeting to get to first and..."

Rafael looked at the clock tower in the distance, "Oh no! I'm late I had to meet Alejandro some minutes ago. This is very bad." Rafael began to walk towards the stairs to walk down.

He looked the Miguel, "Doctor Miguel, perhaps we can meet later tonight at the tavern, after my meeting and the evening siesta. As an apology you are more then welcome to be my guest as well. I would like to speak more on your travels as well as Senorita Orianna's."

He looked to Sonya who had been very silent in the past minutes of this adventure to the belfry, "Sister Sonya, if you find yourself in the area of the tavern tonight I would be most happy to have your company."

Rafael's head stuck up out of the stair well, "Good afternoon my friends and may Theus watch over you and keep you."
Rafael

Postby Orianna » Tue May 22, 2012 10:28 am

Turning toward the staircase, Orianna curtsied once more. "And you as well, sir. Thank you so much for your help, and your invitation."

As Rafael departed, Orianna looked back at her other comrades in bat-catching. "I would like to talk more, but I should get this little fellow home so he'll have a chance to adjust. Sister Sonya, I'll see you at the choir's next meeting, as long as my employer doesn't object. And some other time, I'd like to hear about your inventions. Doctor Miguel, I suppose I will see you at choir practice as well-oh, and the tavern, of course."

She cradled the winged mouse, her oddly golden eyes sweeping over the dome once more. "Thank you again."
Orianna

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Tue May 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Miguel turns towards Rafael and Orianna as they depart. "Yes, I look forward to seeing you both at the tavern tonight." He then looks over to Sister Sonya. "I will see you at the next choir practice, I'm looking forward to it." Miguel then takes his leave.
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed May 23, 2012 10:45 am

Sonya had been uncharacteristically quiet. Perhaps she had been thinking about each of her new acquaintances, trying to remember something about each.

"Thank you everyone for showing interest in the new choir.

Please take care of your new pet.

I will try to stop by for a glass of wine."

OOC: found a good Internet Point at which to post.
Sister Sonya

Previous

Return to "In Character"