At the Altamira Cathedral

Is your hero looking to reach out to their fellows? Here's the place to do it.
Forum rules
Just a reminder that all posts in this forum should be in character and unless you address your comments to a specific person in the subject line, assume that anyone (PCs and NPCs both) can (and will) 'overhear' your conversation.

At the Altamira Cathedral

Postby Sister Sonya » Mon May 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Sister Sonya, a young priest who had come to Altamira recently for reasons not completely transparent, was just concluding an hour of practice for the new chorus.

There had been a rumor that the new priest had some sort of political connection in San Cristobal, but that has yet to be confirmed. She denies it.

The new chorus, unlike the regular chorus, consists of some of the poorer young people of Altamira. There has been another rumor around that the sister offers a token stipend to her new chorusters, to encourage their participation. Since the sister has been seen passing coins to some of these, that rumor may be true.

As the last of these chorusters depart, leaving Sonya alone, she sits down, stares at the big window over the altar, and seems to contemplate the colors of the stained glass...
Sister Sonya

Re: At the Altamira Cathedral

Postby spizio » Mon May 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Aye lass are ye paying for song? Well ye better have a deep purse based on the many poor I've seen in me brief time in this city. Worse yet ye could have a chorus of Vestenmannjavnjar try'n to earn enough coin to chase after the ever rarer mead. Now that would be a sound to avoid.
spizio

Postby Orianna » Mon May 14, 2012 3:44 pm

There came a faint sound of someone humming the tune that the choir had last sung before leaving. The sound grew louder as a lithe figure drifted toward the altar. As the figure approached, it proved to be that of a young woman in her late teens. She wore a sombre black dress, very plain but made of a thick satin, and the hat atop her head trailed a black veil, covering most of her hair.

When she saw Sister Sonya, she stopped humming and curtsied silently, then looked up. There was something otherworldly about her face, especially the wide eyes that seemed more gold than brown.

"Excuse me, Sister," she began, in Vodacce-accented Théan. "Do you know where, um, where I might find a winged mouse?"
Orianna

Postby Rafael » Mon May 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Rafael stepped out from one of the pews and blessed himself after finishing his prayers. It had been many years since he had set foot in the cathedral of Altamira. He had missed his hometown and he would need to visit his mother's grave before seeing his father at the Rancho.

Rafael noticed the new priest and what seemed to be a lady in mourning. He walked up at a slow pace and gave a courtly bow and introduced himself to the two ladies.

"Greetings to both. Allow me to introduce myself I am Rafael Seville Guzman de Soldano. It has been some time since I have stepped foot on Altamira. I was hoping to become familiar with my home once more. May I have the honor of your names, ladies?"
Rafael

Postby Orianna » Mon May 14, 2012 10:05 pm

The black-clad woman shifted, turning her gaze to the newcomer. She curtsied again, a look of slight confusion (or perhaps nervousness) on her face.

"Pleased to meet you, Don Rafael. Excuse my..." she gestured vaguely to herself, not really clarifying what she wanted to be excused. "Um, my name is Orianna. I hope your homecoming is a joyous one for you and everyone who's missed you." She backed away after that, definitely nervous now. "I mean, not to presume that... I was just here looking for a winged mouse. I don't mean to be any trouble."
Orianna

Postby Rafael » Mon May 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Rafael smiled and bowed to her, "A pleasure to meet you Senorita Orianna. I thank you for your kinda words. My father and family I'm sure will be happy to see me. It has been some time since I have set foot on the Rancho of my youth."

Rafael chuckled, "Do not worry about presumption, it is something to think, being I have been away for sometime. As for your request of a winged mouse, I must say it makes me curios to wonder why the need of such a creature? I would assume some might live in the belfry of this cathedral."

Rafael looked to Sonya for any input into the conversation.
Last edited by Rafael on Tue May 15, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rafael

Postby Orianna » Mon May 14, 2012 10:33 pm

Orianna tilted her head to look up at the ceiling of the cathedral, suddenly more enthusiastic. "Indeed, the belfry was my first thought—someone in the marketplace suggested it. I know that bats sleep during the day, so perhaps I could catch one and bring it home. Consue—I mean, the housekeeper has requested that I stop feeding the mice, but she says she wouldn't mind having a winged mouse around, since they eat insects." The emphasis she placed on "requested" suggested that the cessation of feeding the mice had been more of an edict than a request.

"I would like to have someone to talk to at the house, and I want to be helpful with the insects, so I decided to seek out a winged mouse." She smiled at last, looking back at Rafael and Sister Sonya; the new warmth in her face and voice made her seem like a different person. "I hope I can catch one. Do you think the cathedral would mind?"
Orianna

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue May 15, 2012 1:00 am

spizio wrote: Worse yet ye could have a chorus of Vestenmannjavnjar try'n to earn enough coin to chase after the ever rarer mead.

Sonya heard some comment in a foreign accent and looked around for its source. "Well, sir!

Whether it be poor Castillians, or poor Vestenmannjavnyar, that wish to join the new chorus, it matters not to me- provided that they can and are willing to sing!

If mead can help our choristers, then I will buy a round at the end of each practice!"

As the foreign voice faded away, it was replaced by a more famiiar dialect, which mentioned a winged mouse. A winged mouse!?

A conversation developed and Sonya decided to let it take its course until there was a natural lapse for her to jump in. "Senorita Orianna. Senor Rafael, I am Sonya Ferreira. You may call me Sister Sonya."

If you are serious about the winged mouse, Senorita, I can ask the Father for his opinion. I can't imagine that he would refuse. But, then, one never knows. Priests can often get ideas into their head, and it can be difficult to change their minds." She gave an enigmatic smile to both.

"Would either of you care to offer support to our new chorus? It is quite the first of my efforts here in Altamira Cathedral, and I would like to make it a success! You two can be my charter subscribers!

Your names will appear prominently at the back of each of our programmes!"
Her grin grew progressively broader.
Sister Sonya

Postby Orianna » Tue May 15, 2012 7:58 am

The young woman clasped her hands together and cast her gaze at the floor. "I don't have much money of my own right now," she murmured, her cheeks going pink, "though I donate what I have each week." She brightened. "But I may be able to convince my employer to subscribe. He's been very successful lately."

She looked around the cathedral, clearly embarrassed and in search of another subject. "I am serious about the winged mouse, Sister. I live alone most of the time, so it would be nice to have some company. I'd be very grateful if you could ask the Father, as long as you don't think it would upset him."
Orianna

Postby Rafael » Tue May 15, 2012 9:35 am

Rafael bowed and smiled to Sister Sonya, "It is a pleasure to meet you as well Sister Sonya. Meeting a servant of Theus brings me great joy. As for your choir, I must say they have talent among them. I believe I can offer some support to your endeavor. My mother always made sure that the family was well invested in service to Theus and his children."

Rafael gave a soft rub to his chin in thought, "Now that I have returned to Altamira I do plan to once more start my mother's charities and other services. I think this would be a wonderful way to begin my reintroduction to the city."

Rafael turned to Orianna, "Perhaps it would be best you find a young person to do this service for you. I would not advice climbing up to the belfry in such a fine dress. It might get damaged or soiled. If you wish it I can find a youth to do this task very quickly."

Rafael smiled, "Sister Sonya, I'm curios to ask would you be confident in your choirs skill to perform at a festival? I have been slowly organizing one and would think you choir would be perfect in such a occasion. The funds earned would be used to assist those in need. I have hopes to have a gala for the nobles later in the year, but that might be a bit much for your choir at the moment."
Rafael

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Tue May 15, 2012 12:02 pm

A coach pulls up in front of the Altamira Cathedral and a finely dressed Castillian nobleman steps out of the coach. He is wearing a blue tabard with gold trim that has a seal in its center showing an emblem of a cross surrounded by four entwining roses. He tells the driver that he'll be back shortly and steps inside.

Upon entering he looks around for someone of the clothe to give his tithe to. He sees a Sister of the Church talking to a man and a woman and approaches them. He says, "I am sorry to interrupt Sister, but I have come to give my tithe to the church, whom can see regarding this matter?"
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Orianna » Tue May 15, 2012 1:53 pm

Orianna took two quick steps back to allow the newest nobleman to converse with Sister Sonya. She glanced from one noble to the other, looking increasingly uncomfortable as her smile faded.

"Maybe this isn't the best day to find a winged mouse," she muttered. Still, she could not let Don Rafael's courtesy go unacknowledged. "If the Father allows it, though, I'd be very grateful for an introduction to someone who can catch the winged mouse." Her smile returned, at least slightly. "If it were on the ground I could do it myself, but as it is..." she shrugged.
Orianna

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed May 16, 2012 3:35 am

Sonya's grin stayed, "Well, Orianna, if I may address you that familiarly? I don't wish to appear to give out the impression that my chorus is competing with the Father's projects, or other priests' initiatives here at the cathedral, but there it is! There are good works and there are greater works, in my opinion! And, if you are able to convince your employer to subscribe, that works for me! He may have the added benefit of feeling that he is helping to providing a skill towards helping the poor to improve themselves!

And, Orianna, if you want some company, stop by and join in when the chorus practices! Can you sing? There are other young people to sing and to speak with here."
(OOC: Add Artist: Singing to your character sheet- plug-plug!)

"Do you require the winged mouse immediately? Perhaps I could devise a device to assist us in our task! I invent things, by the way! The Father won't really mind- as long as we don't hurt ourselves!"

Sonya turned to Rafael, bowed, and smiled, "I am glad that you can offer support to the new chorus, sir! And, if I may be so bold as to say so, we can use you in the chorus too! Do you sing!?" (OOC: Add Artist: Singing to your character sheet- plug-plug!)

Sonya frowned, "Any prospective young climbing person must have some experience in climbing. I would not wish to be responsible for a serious injury."

She was smiling again at the thought of the new chorus becoming skilled enough to perform in public, "I have complete confidence that the new chorus will be skilled enough to perform in public before too long! How far off is your festival? Of course, my response could be that any funds earned in such a way should be shared with the chorus, sir!"

At the introduction of a new, well-dressed young man to the group, Sonya's confidence was waxing. Another prospective subscriber! "You may interrupt me with the offer of money at any time sir! If you wish I can accept your tithe right now, and I will give it to the Father personally when I can search him out.

Now, if I may propose a separate good cause to you, we were just discussing my new effort here at the cathedral, a chorus of young people. By the way, do your sing, sir?"
(OOC: Add Artist: Singing to your character sheet- plug-plug! If not, you can always pay 10 XP later on. But it will be cheaper now!!) "The chorus is expanding by leaps and bounds at the moment." She winked at Orianna and Rafael.

But when Orianna stepped back and her smile faded, Sonya was contrite, "I must apologize to you, Orianna, if I may call you that familiarly? It was not my intent to seem to push your concern to the side. I often let my enthusiasms overcome my courtesy. Will you forgive me?" Sonya gave a the young woman a conspiratorial smile...
Sister Sonya

Postby Orianna » Wed May 16, 2012 8:05 am

Orianna shook her head quickly. "But no forgiveness is needed, Sister. I just wasn't expecting the cathedral to be so busy. But it is a good thing, no? It means the people of Altamira are enthusiastic about their involvement with the Church. Would you really let me join the choir? I was in the girls' choir back at the convent, and I enjoyed it very much. It's just that... in Vodacce, most women do not sing when there are men around, so I wasn't sure if... but here in Castillo it is different, I see. I will ask my employer if I may join!" Her sudden smile made her eyes seem to sparkle with unexpected delight.

(OOC: Three ranks of Singing!)

She brushed her veil away from her face and tilted her head in contemplation. "I would be happy to have a winged mouse today, if the Father allows it, but wouldn't it take you time to make a bat-catching, um, device? Perhaps it would be easier to find a skilled climber, if the task is not too dangerous." She turned to Don Rafael. "The young person in question wouldn't be at risk of getting hurt, correct?"
Orianna

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Wed May 16, 2012 4:34 pm

Sister Sonya wrote:At the introduction of a new, well-dressed young man to the group, Sonya's confidence was waxing. Another prospective subscriber! "You may interrupt me with the offer of money at any time sir! If you wish I can accept your tithe right now, and I will give it to the Father personally when I can search him out.

Now, if I may propose a separate good cause to you, we were just discussing my new effort here at the cathedral, a chorus of young people. By the way, do your sing, sir?"
(OOC: Add Artist: Singing to your character sheet- plug-plug! If not, you can always pay 10 XP later on. But it will be cheaper now!!) "The chorus is expanding by leaps and bounds at the moment." She winked at Orianna and Rafael.

Miguel pulls out a bag of coins and hands it to Sister Sonya saying, "Very well Sister here you go. As for your chorus, I would be honored to join. I love to sing." (OOC: 6k3). "When is the first practice session?"
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Wed May 16, 2012 6:05 pm

As Miguel awaits an answer from Sister Sonya, he turns to the Senorita and Senor and says, "Allow me to introduce myself, I am Dr. Miguel Sanchez Contreras de Soldano. But please, call me Miguel. I have recently come back to the area of my birth in hopes of finding a teacher of the Soldano sword school. May I please have the honor of your names?"
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Rafael » Wed May 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Rafael smiled and nodded to Sonya, "It has been many years since I sang in the cathedral's choir. I must have been only 10 at the time. But if I find the time to drop by once in a while perhaps I will be able to perform. Or if you wish I do play the guitar. Would you be in need of a musician?"

"Perhaps you are correct on the part of finding a child to climb. I did serve on a ship for a time. Perhaps I can climb up there and find a winged mouse. I don't think it will be too much trouble. And if I fall I know I will be protected by Theus." Rafael gave a smile at this comment.

He looked to the spot where the choir had been practicing, "I was under that assumption that what ever donations that went to the church they would of course compensate the singers for their time and lovely performance. As for the time of the festival, well I have spoken a bit with the mayor and he is trying to see what week would be reasonable to have the festival. I'm hoping perhaps after common mass. I should probably also touch up on my guitar playing."

At the appearance of a member of the peerage Rafael took a proper stance and bowed to Miguel, "It is an honor to meet you Dr. Miguel, I am Rafael Seville Guzman de Soldano, recently returned from travels abroad as well. It seems that mother Castille has called her children home once more." Rafael gave a smile and appraised the Doctor.

"Do you wish to learn the way of the Soldano school or merely continue your tutelage? I am a practitioner not fully advanced in the circle but I can handle the blade. My deepest apologize for not showing my pin or blade but I think it only proper etiquette to not carry a weapon or show aggression on a holy site. Would you not agree?"
Rafael

Postby Orianna » Wed May 16, 2012 8:13 pm

At the pause, Orianna spoke up, a little hesitantly, and curtsied again. "Don-Doctor Miguel, I am Orianna. I have only been in Altamira for a few months myself. I'm very fond of it so far."

She turned to Don Rafael, looking up at him with astonishment. "Oh no, sir, I couldn't ask you to fetch me a winged mouse yourself! You might ruin your clothing, and besides, it would be rude of me to demand so much of your time when you're working so hard to help the city. Of course, I don't want a child to get hurt either. If I want a winged mouse, I suppose I have to be willing to accept the risks and the consequences." She squared her shoulders, golden-brown eyes narrowing in determination.

"I can climb in this dress if I'm careful, and the bats will be sleeping anyway. It can't be that difficult."
Orianna

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Thu May 17, 2012 12:53 am

Rafael wrote:At the appearance of a member of the peerage Rafael took a proper stance and bowed to Miguel, "It is an honor to meet you Dr. Miguel, I am Rafael Seville Guzman de Soldano, recently returned from travels abroad as well. It seems that mother Castille has called her children home once more." Rafael gave a smile and appraised the Doctor.

"Do you wish to learn the way of the Soldano school or merely continue your tutelage? I am a practitioner not fully advanced in the circle but I can handle the blade. My deepest apologize for not showing my pin or blade but I think it only proper etiquette to not carry a weapon or show aggression on a holy site. Would you not agree?"

After hearing Don Rafael state that he is a practitioner of the Soldano school, Miguel's eyes light up as he says, "It is very nice to meet you Don Rafael. I wish to learn the way of the Soldano school and it is an honor to meet a practicing member. Perhaps you could introduce me to one of your instructors, or maybe, if it is permitted, you could teach me some things yourself. You see I am more of a scholarly type and the art of fencing is still rather new to me."

Miguel then turns to the Senorita and says with a smile, "It is a pleasure meeting you Orianna." Then with a look of confusion he asks her, "Did I hear correctly? You wish to climb to the top of the Cathedral to acquire a winged mouse? Well if that is the case, perhaps I can be of some assistance, I too have spent some time as a sailor. Maybe the 3 of us can work together to capture this soon to be winged mouse of yours?"
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Sister Sonya » Thu May 17, 2012 1:19 am

Sonya knew that good public relations would be what she would most need to get her initiatives going here at the cathedral. However, she responded, "Well, I hope that the cathederal will be busier and busier as time goes by. Not only should it be the spiritual center of Altamira, but it should also be the social and artistic center of it as well!

Of course you may join the chorus! We will, of course, have auditions for new prospects, but I am confident that a young ladies' accomplishments must meet a certain threshhold! Nothing personal against customs in Vodacce, of course, but we in Castille are a little more progressive!

Besides, how are we to have soprano and alto singers in our chorus unless women and girls are accepted? Of course, we cannot adopt practices that the Vodacce are rumored to use to have boys retain their high voices. Castille is a modern nation!"
(Sonya has three ranks in singing as well.)

"And, yes, it might take a little longer to devise a means of catching a winged mouse. Someone actually climbing in the dome might have more immediate success!"

With the nobleman's generosity, Sonya is speechless for a moment. Just a moment, mind you! A big grin appears on her face in short order when he entrusts her with a bag of coins, "I believe you should have a receipt for this, Senor!" She gives him a deep curtsy, commensurate with its weight, then writes a short receipt and hands it to him.

"You will join too!? Gracias! Call me Sister Sonya! "
She looks around. Rafael is the only one not yet recruited. "Our next practice will be tomorrow, at the same time."

When Rafael spoke up about playing the guitar, Sonya's eyes lit up, "But, I play the guitar also, Senor!" (Three ranks w/guitar) "If you are volunteering, you may play with us as well as sing!"

Sonya thought it better not to comment upon his statement concerning Theus' protection. She was more of a mind that Theus rewarded faith and good works, if in a less obvious way. She also thought it best not to show more than a moderate interest in sword fighting.

When Orianna spoke up about climbing after a winged mouse herself, Sonya had to try to appraise her fitness. It would not be a good thing to seem to encourage a new acquaintance beyond her capabilities! "Senorita Orianna! If you are to climb, then I must also!"

Sonya's wounds were not yet fully healed, but it would not do to have a gently raised female climbing in the heights, if she, herself, would not.

When the nobleman also was showing indications of climbing, Sonya was beginning to regret her tardiness in taking charge. She tried to appraise his fitness, as she had that of Orianna.

"Alright! I have not climbed in the dome since I arrived here two weeks ago, but perhaps it is time that I did." She looked around to see if all were game...
Sister Sonya

Postby Orianna » Thu May 17, 2012 8:02 am

At the words "Castille is a modern nation," Orianna nodded earnestly. "I can see that it is. I am a soprano, though I've been known to sing the alto line when the choir needed someone who could hold her own against the melody. If my employer agrees, I will certainly join the choir."

As she listened to three different people offer to climb to the belfry, the young woman's face took on a look of consternation. She finally shook her head when Sister Sonya offered to make the climb. "You are all more generous than I deserve, but surely it won't require four climbers to catch one sleeping winged mouse. Perhaps one person can make the climb and the rest of us can do our best to ensure that person doesn't fall." She smiled cautiously at Rafael. "Much as I trust in Theus' protection, I expect He also approves of us helping each other."
Orianna

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Thu May 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Miguel takes a look at everyone and compares their physical strength to his and decides that maybe he should help in some other way besides climbing (OOC: 3k1) and he says, "I have 50ft of rope and a grappling hook in my coach. I can go and get them if you think that might be helpful."
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Sister Sonya » Thu May 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Sonya notes that Dr. Miguel seems to have been neglecting his physical fitness lately. While she could claim the excuse that she had been injured in battle, that did not excuse her own lack of conditioning at the moment. " Do not become alarmed, Senorita! I can do this.

Besides, there is a staircase to enable workers to reach the dome. It is not challenging climb at all! You will see."

As she prepares to go, she asks, "Who would like to assist?"
Sister Sonya

Postby Rafael » Thu May 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Rafael nodded to Miguel, "Well I'm sure I can see if my old instructor is still teaching at the school. He was well versed in the style. I think I can arrange a letter of introduction to have him give you an evaluation."

Rafael's attention was momentarily pulled towards Sister Sonya as she made her comment about her musical talent.

"Well then I will try to come to your practices when I can. I will be mostly managing my father's affairs and the charities. So when I'm in town I will see when I can drop by for practice."

Rafael thought for a moment as Sonya spoke, "Sister Sonya, I don't recommend you climbing up to the belfry. I don't believe I'm a superior athlete but as I did mention being on a ship does allow for a man to gain some benefits."

OOC: climb 5k3

Rafael returned his look to Miguel, "And if I should take a tumble I would prefer that you would be at my side to render aid of a medical purpose. As for the Sister will have the ability to provide spiritual aid. Does this not seem as a reasonable solution to our winged mouse adventure?"

Rafael then turned his gaze to Orianna and smiled.
Last edited by Rafael on Fri May 18, 2012 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rafael

Postby Orianna » Thu May 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Orianna stood frozen for a moment, then nodded, a smile slowly spreading over her face. "I think—I mean, if everyone else is in favour—I'm very happy with that plan. There's just one thing... Don Rafael, what should I do to help?" She looked down. "My skills don't tend toward the athletic, but, um... if you need somewhere to put the winged mouse, we could use my veil."
Orianna

Next

Return to "In Character"