At the Guild of San Marcos

Is your hero looking to reach out to their fellows? Here's the place to do it.
Forum rules
Just a reminder that all posts in this forum should be in character and unless you address your comments to a specific person in the subject line, assume that anyone (PCs and NPCs both) can (and will) 'overhear' your conversation.

At the Guild of San Marcos

Postby Alejandro » Sat May 19, 2012 11:55 pm

Five long years.

It was five long years since Alejandro Bejarano de Soldano returned to his beloved Altamira, and he had found that things had changed. "Fair enough," he thought as he looked up at the imposing Guild of San Marcos. "So have I."

He had already been to see his family - it was odd to sleep in his childhood bedroom again, it seemed as though the walls were closer than he remembered - but his mother had insisted: "No son of mine is going to sleep in some hole-in-the-wall while I have a good home here! And who would feed you, eh?" It was a little cramped, but Alejandro knew there was no place he'd rather be.

Coming back to the present, Alejandro approached the Guild's heavy oak doors and pushed, easing them open after much protestation. As his eyes adjusted to the light, he saw a fair dozen men and women, paired off and sparring in the large great hall. As he stood in entrance, unsure of where to go, all eyes fell upon the strange newcomer.
Alejandro

Re: At the Guild of San Marcos

Postby Rafael » Wed May 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Rafael dismounted his horse and handed to a servant as he began to enter the guild hall.
He placed his blade onto his belt and took out his pin and placed it on the lapel of is jacket.
He saw his cousin and called out.

"Alejandro! Sorry for the delay. I would have been here earlier but it seems my business at the church took
a bit more time."

Rafael stepped forward and gave his cousin a good strong hug.

"Its been too long Alejandro its good to see you again." He let him go and looked him over. "I think you've grown a bit taller since last we met. Life abroad has been good to you. I only hope it hasn't made you soft like a fop."

Rafael took stock of all the others within the building.

"So has anyone said anything yet?"
Rafael

Postby Alejandro » Wed May 23, 2012 7:55 pm

The younger man grinned and clapped his cousin on the back. "And you, Rafael! Cómo estás?" Alejandro appraised his cousin from head toe, and then flashed a nervous grin at the other Swordsmen. "No, they haven't said anything yet. At least, not about my dashing good looks!" Turning back to his cousin. "So you've had business at La Trinidad? I thought you confessed all two of your sins years ago."
Alejandro

Postby Rafael » Thu May 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Rafael laughed a bit, "Don't think me so holy, if you recall I never did take the vow to become a priest. As for the matter at La Trinidad it was more in assisting someone then sinning."

Rafael smirked at his younger cousins bravado, "Your looks huh? I notice your trying to grow a mustache, but I have to say I think cousin Estevan can grow a fuller one."

Rafael laughed, as the both knew cousin Estevan had just turned thirteen last spring.

"But it is good to see you again. Have you been home? How is the family?" Rafael motioned to a table with available seats.
Rafael

Postby Alejandro » Thu May 24, 2012 7:33 pm

Alejandro sat down with a thunk. The other swordsmen started to lose interest when it seemed like someone knew who the newcomer was after all. "Estevan, eh? He'll be taller than me, too, no doubt." He feigned a sigh, but kept his eyes downcast. "The family is getting by. Barely, but they're making ends meet somehow. Father has some ideas for new investments, and mother keeps her hopes up, but they've dismissed every servant but Rosa. She's been with them - with us - for so long she's almost a part of the house." He laughed a little, and sighed again. "This time next month, Javier will have been gone six years to the day. The Avalons, they wait that long before they... bury the ones lost at sea." Alejandro smiled, and tried to laugh, but it seemed like all his bravado had turned to heaviness, and his heart wasn't really in it. "Listen to me talk like no one else has cares. What's going on with you?"
Alejandro

Postby Rafael » Fri May 25, 2012 7:44 pm

A slight frown appeared on Rafael's face at the mention of financial problems, "I wasn't aware that your family had not recovered yet. I know I had been away for some years. Didn't my father assist in any way? I mean if your father would just go and talk and explain the situation."

Rafael made the attempt to ignore the pain at the loss of Javier. Even though he was a cousin, Javier and Rafael had grown up together like brothers. Alejandro played the roll of the little brother tag a long. Rafael
kept up a lively tone in his voice even though his face didn't reflected it as much.

"Six years? Are they that certain their kin can tread water for that long, that they would wait so long?" A bit of a chuckle and smile escaped Rafael.

He leaned back in his chair and sighed, "Same old same old, I received a letter a month ago from my father. He says the final arrangements have been signed. So in a couple more months I will marry. So begins my life as a gentleman of Soldano, marry have children and watch the grapes grow on the Rancho. I guess I shouldn't complain its not a terrible thing."

Rafael noticed a servant come over and they bowed to the two seated gentlemen, "Excuse me would you both wish a drink? We have fresh sangria to serve."

Rafael sat up a bit at the mention of sangria.

"I think that is perfect. Bring two glasses and a pitcher. Also have you any olives and sausage? It is almost siesta and I would like a small snack before I nap."

The servant bowed and departed.
Rafael

Postby Alejandro » Sat May 26, 2012 11:46 pm

"No. I'm happy for you, Rafael - you know where you're going, what your place is. Someday maybe I'll see you there. About father," he said, shrugging his shoulders, "you know how stubborn father can be. He wouldn't ask King Sandoval himself for help if he thought he could manage it himself. 'A man must lie in the bed he made,' he'd always say, 'reap the crops he raised, and right what wrongs he can.' It's a shame I never appreciated those words before now."
Alejandro

Return to "In Character"