At a small house in the merchant quarter

Is your hero looking to reach out to their fellows? Here's the place to do it.
Forum rules
Just a reminder that all posts in this forum should be in character and unless you address your comments to a specific person in the subject line, assume that anyone (PCs and NPCs both) can (and will) 'overhear' your conversation.

At a small house in the merchant quarter

Postby Orianna » Fri May 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Orianna slipped through the door, keeping a careful grip on her bundled-up winged mouse.

"Girl? Is that you?" The housekeeper, Señora Consuela, appeared at the entrance to the kitchen. "Where have you been all day, and what's that you're carrying?"

For a moment, Orianna frowned; she wished Consuela would call her something other than "girl." "I've brought a surprise, Señora," she said brightly, holding up the bundle. "It's something you said you'd like to have in the house."

The older woman sighed. "Just tell me what it is, then. I'm too busy to be playing guessing games."

"I'll do better than that," Orianna countered, unwrapping the veil. "See? I've brought a winged mouse, to help with the insects!" The winged mouse twitched at the sudden brightness and moved its head from side to side. "Don't worry, pipistrello. I'll find a box where you can sleep."

Consuela seemed unsure whether to laugh or scold, so she settled for raising both eyebrows very high. "You went out and found a winged mouse? Why in the world did you do that?"

"I... I thought it would help you," Orianna explained, faltering slightly. "You said you wouldn't mind having one around, and, well, I wanted a pet very badly."

"I suppose it would be useful to have around," the housekeeper conceded. "Just don't let it make a mess."

Orianna nodded enthusiastically, her eyes almost glowing with happiness. "I'll keep a close eye on him! He won't be any trouble." She paused. "Oh, and also, do you know where the tavern is? I've been invited to dine there with some friends."

"What friends? And which tavern?" Consuela turned her back and went to check the boiling water.

Which tavern? "The, um, the local tavern?" she clarified.

"Local to where, girl? There are dozens of taverns in this area. Did any of your friends tell you the name of this tavern?" Consuela looked over her shoulder and sighed. "Sometimes I wonder if you're a little bit simple. Can't have looks and brains, my father used to say. You'll have to find your friends another time and ask them which tavern they mean—although, depending on who they are, maybe you should be careful. A newcomer like you could get into all kinds of trouble."

Crestfallen, Orianna shook her head. "But, but one of them is a priest! And my invitation was for tonight, and the Don said it was a matter of his family's honor, and now he'll be insulted, and—"

"I'm sure your life is a vale of tears, but I'm here as a housekeeper, not a governess. Speaking of which, you shouldn't go out tonight anyway. The gown for the next painting came in—seems you're going to be a Montaigne courtesan. Scandalous, if you ask me. But it's not my job to give my opinion, just to make adjustments to the dress. We'll do it after dinner."

Orianna did her best to smile politely. "I appreciate your help. I'll go find a box for the winged mouse."

((OOC: And that is why Orianna will not be at the tavern that evening!))
Orianna

Return to "In Character"