Later on in the day of the attempted abduction

Is your hero looking to reach out to their fellows? Here's the place to do it.
Forum rules
Just a reminder that all posts in this forum should be in character and unless you address your comments to a specific person in the subject line, assume that anyone (PCs and NPCs both) can (and will) 'overhear' your conversation.

Later on in the day of the attempted abduction

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:25 pm

Sonya relaxed after completing her responsibilities at the cathedral and reviewed events of earlier in the day.

What was Altamira coming to? An attempt had been made to kidnap a young woman- and in broad daylight! She wondered at the boldness of the strega and her ruffians in the attempt to capture Senorita Orianna and take her back to Vodacce. It was hard to believe that women were held in such low regard there, that they had so few personal rights.

Praise to Theus, Castille was more enlightened in its outlook! Sure there were issues, which she could enumerate at length; but at least the more serious criminal activity in Castille occurred after dark when most of the innocents were safely behind closed doors. Well, there was the Inquisition, of course, which seemed to make its own rules.

Ha! She remembered the proposal several days past to get together at the Dos Caballeros y Doncellas. Why not suggest it again? They could gather to discuss the abduction and other events as well.

She wrote several notes, with invitations to Orianna, Rafael, and Dr. Miguel.

"Bring a friend!"
Sister Sonya

Re: Later on in the day of the attempted abduction

Postby Orianna » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Orianna examined the note. "'Bring a friend,'" she murmured. "Are you up for a trip, Hector?"

The little winged mouse squeaked slightly, and Orianna smiled. Probably not a trap—it wouldn't say "bring a friend" if they want to get me alone. Besides, there's not much point in them leaving the city if they're just going to return a few hours later.

She shivered, despite the warmth in the room. Growing up in Vodacce, she had heard many stories of the strega and their fearsome powers, but to know that a single Fate Witch could find her so easily, with height and walls no obstacle... it didn't matter if she was in line of sight, so her ill-gotten gift would almost certainly be of no help.

And then that man with the chain-hand-thing. Why do they want me back so badly? I'm Senzavista; I'm useless. She sighed. Well, technically I'm Senzavista...

Orianna swept her hat onto her head, scooped up Hector, and walked to the tavern at a brisk, confident pace that she hoped would deter any would-be kidnappers.
Orianna

Postby Rafael » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:06 am

Rafael walked into the tavern and nodded to the bartender and saw two people he recognized and sat with them.

He looked to Sister Sonya and Orianna, "Hello ladies, its nice to see you both. How have you been since our last meeting?"

Rafael looked at Orianna and over to a man in priestly robes and looked back to her.
Last edited by Rafael on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rafael

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:59 pm

As his coach comes to a stop, Dr. Miguel steps out and tells Juan that he might be a couple of hours and goes into the Dos Caballeros y Doncellas. Right away he sees his new friends and heads for their table. "Good evening Sister Sonya, Don Rafael and Senorita Orianna. It is so good to see all of you alive and well. After that encounter earlier today I did have some concerns for everyones safety, especially for yours Orianna. May I be so bold as to ask what that was all about? Two different groups coming after you and one of them led by a Fate Witch no less!"
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Orianna » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:38 pm

Orianna's cheeks, paler than those of most Vodacce, flushed pink. "I'm surprised myself," she murmured, leaning in and gesturing for the others to do the same. "I think it was one group that split into two sections so they could search the city more efficiently. They were very open about their intentions, which is a bad sign - Father seems like the sort who'd try not to let on that I was missing."

She glanced around the tavern, suddenly fearful. "I shouldn't mention this sort of thing in public. Does anyone have a pen and some paper?"
Orianna

Postby Rafael » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Rafael grew a bit more relaxed as the young man in priest robes left when the tavern owner gave him what seemed to be a bottle of sacrimental wine.

"Doctor Miguel it is good to see you as well. Please come and talk and enjoy some tamales. They are free from the tamale man."

Rafael looked to the door and frowned.

"Strange my cousin Alejandro usually is a punctual gentleman.I do hope he isn't in trouble."
Rafael

Postby Sister Sonya » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:00 am

Rafael wrote:"Strange my cousin Alejandro usually is a punctual gentleman.I do hope he isn't in trouble."

Sonya was pleased that all of the New Chorus recruits could show up, but realized that she had not included two others from that day in her invitation. "Don Rafael, that is likely my fault.

Let me correct my oversight!"
She extracted a folio of paper from a large pocket in her robe, folded a sheet in half, and then tore it to create two new invitations.

She brought out one small vial of ink and passed it, with another sheet and a pen, to Orianna, "Here you are." Then she brought out another vial and pen, then began to write invitations to Rafael's cousin Alejandro and to Helena O'Roarke. "Rafael, if I may take the liberty to address you by your first name, here is a note for your cousin, if you would be so kind as to address it for me! And, please call me Sonya.

And, if Eladio, here, doesn't know Miss O'Roarke's address, I'm sure I can find an urchin outside who will!""
Sister Sonya

Postby Orianna » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:52 pm

After thinking for a moment, Orianna set pen to paper and began to write. She held the paper up briefly so that each of her companions could see what was written on it:

My father is Conte Enrico Vestini. I ran away. Under Vodacce law, I am to be retrieved and executed by burning.

As soon as the others had had a chance to read what was on the paper, Orianna folded it in half, rubbing it so that the wet ink smudged into an illegible blob. For good measure, she began to tear the paper into small pieces.
Orianna

Postby Rafael » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Rafael looked towards Sister Sonya, "No, its fine Sister. He is a bit late at times. I did make sure to inform him to arrive here at the tavern. I'm sure he was delayed by his younger brother. He should be here soon enough. It just means we have a bit more time to enjoy the wine."

Rafael motioned to the tavern keeper, "Could we have a bottle of Soldano wine. Also whats on the menu?"

After a quick list Rafale nodded and asked to have a loaf of bread brought along with some olives and cheese.
A roast was being prepared for later.

Rafael looked at the message Orianna had written and was very disturbed.

"I was not aware such horrible acts occurred in your lands. I know that in Castille if such a situation does occur after negotiations and matters are settle a child will be sent to a convent but to burn a child? How horrible and they call themselves Vaticine?"
Rafael

Postby Alejandro » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:25 pm

All of a sudden, an out of breath nobleman hurried through the tavern door. "Forgive me, cousin, friends, for my lateness," Alejandro began. "One of the servants mislaid my best shirt." He flashed a smile and pulled up a chair, adjusting his jacket as he sat down. What he failed to mention, however, was that his 'best shirt' simply happened to be the one that was the least worn, and with only a small tear hidden away beneath his dark blue jacket. "What have I missed?"
Alejandro

Postby Rafael » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Rafael smiled as his cousin arrived, "Don't worry Alejandro, your just being fashionably late is all. I had a bottle of wine brought over right now. I took the liberty of having some small tapas to be served as well."

Rafael moved over a bit to allow his cousin a better seat at the table.

"You haven't missed much just the barbaric nature of the Vodacce and how they treat any wayward daughter."
Last edited by Rafael on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rafael

Postby Orianna » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:32 pm

"Please be cautious, Don Rafael. I'm not sure who may be listening." Orianna smiled and tried to look brave. "Perhaps you can relay what I wrote earlier to your cousin? I don't want to use too much of Sister Sonya's paper." The young woman glanced around, her golden eyes almost glowing with the intensity of her gaze. "The, um, people from this afternoon mentioned that they intend to return—this was shortly before you arrived, Don Alejandro." She nodded to the third nobleman.

"They said, if I recall, that they would be coming back when I don't have as much help. I can only guess that they have someone in Altamira waiting to let them know when I'm alone, or perhaps they didn't go as far as they implied—for all we know, they're still in the city, biding their time." She couldn't suppress a shudder. "Maybe they already know where I live. Maybe they're waiting for me to come back tonight."
Orianna

Postby Alejandro » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:44 pm

Alejandro shrugged, and waved off the wine, at least for now. "We seem very good at attracting enemies," he said, glancing at his cousin Rafael and the young lady both. "We shall see if we have learned anything about scaring them off."
Alejandro

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:45 am

With Don Alejandro's appearance, one of Sonya's oversights went poof. "I am pleased that you could come, Don Alejandro!" She bowed from her seat rather than got up to curtsy.

She finished her other note, then sealed it and looked at Orianna, "Orianna, I make my own paper. If you would observe your pieces, the paper is rough and crude but serviceable. And, if you trust me, you may give me the pieces and I will recycle it by turning it into new paper! And then, no one will be able to piece it back together."

She got up from her seat. "Now, if everyone will excuse me for a moment, I will try to have this delivered to Miss O'Roarke!" She held up the note, then moved toward the front door to go outside.

Once there, she looked about, and then saw the inevitable bunch of young persons. Calling out and walking up to them, she smiled and made an offer, "If one of you knows the name of Helena O'Roarke, you might earn this," as she held up a coin.

OOC: Does protocol offer a GM to become involved or should I "find" someone that knows the name?
Sister Sonya

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:58 am

OCC: Thanks Mike, but I'll not be involved in "In Character" stuff. My character is quite preocupied elsewhere, thanks to Mark.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:05 pm

OOC: Well then, Sonya's missive can be ignored or apologies can be sent!
Sister Sonya

Postby Orianna » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:00 pm

"Oh, you make your own paper? How skilled you must be!" Orianna passed the pile of paper pieces to the young priest. "Yes, please take them. And I'll use this other piece, if you don't mind." The young fugitive scribbled something on the new sheet of paper, then quietly held it up so that the rest of the table could see.

You have already helped me more than I would dare ask, and I hesitate to trouble you further. All that said, do you have any advice on how I can avoid such a close call again? The Fate Witch was right; I will not always be so fortunate as to have several friends around. I thought about hiring a guard, but I have no money or skills to offer. Furthermore, these people have no qualms about attacking in public and in the presence of nobility.
Orianna

Postby Sister Sonya » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:30 am

It seemed that Miss O'Roarke was well known among the young persons of Altamira, particularly among young girls as a heroine for wearing pants. Three spoke up, Sonya produced two more coins, and the message was off with three guardians...

She returned inside,
Orianna wrote:"Oh, you make your own paper? How skilled you must be!"
and accepted the pieces of paper from Orianna.

Sonya smiled and responded, "It's not such great paper. Take a closer look! It's pretty rough. But it is good enough for sketching and recording one's ideas for later."

Having read Orianna's latest written comment and request, Sonya replied, "I can suggest several things, and for you to be employed at the theater, as you had thought, would be one of them. There are always people around, and there may be accommodations available there at the right cost.

Another would be to become employed at the cathedral! What other skills do you have?"
(OOC: I usually suggest that players pick at least one skill from among the Merchant lists as something to fall back on. You could ask BJR if you could rearrange your character sheet retroactively.)

"Perhaps I could ask the Father what jobs might need filling, or even hire you myself for a while to assist with the chorus." Sonya was thinking how many guilders she could supplement as a salary. "There are always people around at the cathedral, and it might not be so easy to surprise you here."
Sister Sonya

Return to "In Character"