Played at GenCon Saturday night...

Introductions, Greetings, Salutations, and other Noob Questions.

Played at GenCon Saturday night...

Postby Zhenn » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:02 pm

...and now I'm here. I played Mikhail (Misha for short) doing the 1st scenario with a couple of you. Thank you to those who deigned to sit with the other guy (sorry, I'm terrible with names) and me; especially for me, the total noob to the game. I very much appreciated the help and all the explanations.

So... last night I acquired all the PDFs I could find. Quite a bit to read, and I hate reading on my computer or even tablet. I've been cruising around the website, and I realize I probably won't be able to play again until next year, but I may as well indulge my current fascination by making a character. So, please correct me if I am wrong, but I am going to create a character from scratch so that I can figure that all out and make the character a bit more my own and learn the rules better while I'm at it. I believe that is kosher, according to what I've read thus far, and to still use the experience and such that I've acquired through play?

I used a pre-made. I plan on building a similar character, but by the standards now set. My understanding is that I build off of 130 hero points and 4xp per retired scenario and whatever xp I earned. I assume that, since I played one of the scenarios retired, I should substitute the experience I earned for the scenario retired. Thus, I should be building a character on 130 hero points and 4xp * 3 scenarios plus the 6 xp I earned in that first scenario... so 130 HP and 18 xp. Am I correct in this?

I plan on building an Ussuran Swordsman with similarities to the pre-made. I plan on only using the core rulebook, the Ussuran book, and perhaps the Swordsman's Guild book if I'm feeling frisky. I've already read the suggestions for new players thread, so I may even have a clue about what to do.

Hello to everyone and hopefully this is in the right area...
Zhenn

Re: Played at GenCon Saturday night...

Postby MacShidhe » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:09 pm

Indeed, you did. It was a pleasure to run a table for you. Welcome aboard!
MacShidhe

Postby salamanca » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:47 pm

Hello, welcome aboard.

You have interpreted the information correctly concerning HP and XP (including the 6xp from your session). You do need to spend the HP first and are restricted to maximum rank 3 with that (as per the rules in the Players Guide). You may then increase those higher with the XP if you wish.

Also note there is no use of the destiny spreads in this campaign or any follower advantages.

Drop any further questions here and we will take care of you.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Zhenn » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:59 pm

McSidhe, thanks for running the game! I appreciate you stepping up to the plate for a noob. =)

Salamanca, thank you for those clarifications. I haven't gotten that far in the player's book, yet, but plan to do so within the next couple days.

I haven't a clue what a destiny spread is, yet, and have no inclination towards followers, so I doubt those will be an issue. What little I've read in that arena seems to be outside of my interests in any case.

I should be able to muddle through character creation, it doesn't seem like a complicated system. Hero System was my main game for a long time, so crunch doesn't bother me much. In the past few years I have learned to appreciate softer systems much more than I used to. =)

Thank you for the offers of advice. I will definitely make use of it when needed.
Zhenn

Postby daundelyon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi there!
It was fun to play with you as well. I enjoy seeing how new people approach the game. Plus, new member for Team Heritic, yay!
Don't worry too much about names. Last I checked, there are at least four game related names I'll answer to.
Looking forward to playing with you again. :)
~Alexandra, tpo Ekaterina
"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby Zhenn » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:41 pm

daundelyon wrote:Hi there!
It was fun to play with you as well. I enjoy seeing how new people approach the game. Plus, new member for Team Heritic, yay!
Don't worry too much about names. Last I checked, there are at least four game related names I'll answer to.
Looking forward to playing with you again. :)
~Alexandra, tpo Ekaterina

Sorry to reply SOOOO slowly, I was super excited when we got back and then a series of unfortunate events (car engine fell apart, daughter has an undecipherable medical condition we are trying to get figured out, etc.) obliterated my whole character creation plan. I have to start over. =/

Team Hereitic? I don't remember that part... ?

In any case, ya'll seem like a fun bunch, so I'm looking forward to next year. =)
Zhenn

Postby daundelyon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:05 pm

Hehehe, yeah, Team Heretic refers to those of us who don't exactly fall in line with the Inquisition's ideas about the church and who frequently have way too much fun ticking off said Inquisition. Pretty much the Ussurans, the Objectionist, etc.
Hope your daughter feels better soon!
~Alexandra
"He used the Force!"
daundelyon

Postby salamanca » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:32 pm

Alexandra has not figured out that this label actually covers all but three characters currently in the campaign.

If you think your character is in the clear...well, good luck with that.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:06 pm

The inner circle of team heretic however, is francois, all the ussurans, an eisen priest and an inish fighter.

Or, as perhaps we should be called, Francois and the guilty by association.
kenderleech

Postby daundelyon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:24 pm

kenderleech wrote:The inner circle of team heretic however, is francois, all the ussurans, an eisen priest and an inish fighter.

Or, as perhaps we should be called, Francois and the guilty by association.

Pretty sure I was guilty before I ever met him. ;)
"He used the Force!"
daundelyon

Return to Welcome