n00b Question

Introductions, Greetings, Salutations, and other Noob Questions.

n00b Question

Postby groovy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:07 am

So I'm planning to show up on Domingo Gigante at Origins, but before I finish creating my character I wanted to know how often Backgrounds come into play outside of the Personal Agenda events. Is there anybody out there with experience who has an answer?
groovy

Re: n00b Question

Postby kenderleech » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:05 am

it depends on the background. There are some we check for every session, and some we check for only when they might be relevant. the majority of backgrounds only come up at PAs tho. My advice would be to buy 1 background at 1-2 points that interested you, and do that for your PAs, and see what comes up as you play otherwise.
kenderleech

Postby Sister Sonya » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:31 am

groovy wrote:... but before I finish creating my character I wanted to know how often Backgrounds come into play outside of the Personal Agenda events.

;) that depends... on who your character is and upon your own roleplaying style.

My character was a spoiled little rich girl, with parents being cousins from family Ochoa, who never had paid much attention and consideration for others, prior Episode 1.

Mark has led Lora Antonia, alias Sister Sonya (and others), on a merrie chase between the Inquisition and her heretofore Invisible College mentors, (and some NPCs <sighs>).

She has learned some tough lessons in the campaign, and may have to learn some more. Her increasing/increased Wits should certainly help, but it's not a guarantee. And, that's where role 8-) playing helps a lot...
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:49 am

If you have no plans for Personal Agendas, skip the Background. Most of the adventures have some way of learning one to keep you occupied down the road should you want to play in a Personal Agenda session down the road.

We also are cool with players rebuilding a character after playing with us when they realize their home games pet skill isn't asandatory as they thought. So if something strikes you during the game, you can always turn around, drop something and add a background in for next year.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby groovy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:18 am

To switch gears, is it possible to pick up new languages as you go along or not, since technically they count as Advantages?
groovy

Postby salamanca » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:46 am

I will tell you that I'm pretty lenient about adding languages but realistically, all you need to get by is Castillian. Nothing has been done that sticks the party for not knowing any other language.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:10 am

I've been remiss in adding my own 2 cents to this. As for your OP, remember that I need a little lead-in time for Backgrounds (since I will be writing the adventures for you based on that) which means I need to see your write-up before I can start. So just paying points for your background is going to get me winging it (of which I am not NEARLY as good as Dave).

We really only check for the Backgrounds you earn in game (yes there are quite a few) because those directly involve the meta-plot. Backgrounds you payed character points for are not related to the meta-plot (unless I see that one of my NPCs is perfect for you), but will still star you as THE hero of the story.

I agree with Dave, if you're just showing up for DOMINGO GIGANTE! Don't bother with a Background yet. You can always add one later.

As for your second question, by all means grab all the languages you want! Nothing special to get them, just pay your XP and voila!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:42 pm

salamanca wrote:I will tell you that I'm pretty lenient about adding languages but realistically, all you need to get by is Castillian. Nothing has been done that sticks the party for not knowing any other language.

I will admit that speaking Eisen DID come in handy for one (early) adventure... :twisted:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby spizio » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:51 pm

salamanca wrote:I will tell you that I'm pretty lenient about adding languages but realistically, all you need to get by is Castillian. Nothing has been done that sticks the party for not knowing any other language.

Yet...

Just wanted to fix that for you. :lol:

You should also be aware that there are more Vesty's living in Altamira than Castillians in the HoA campaign.
spizio

Postby salamanca » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:16 am

Not anymore. The nation thing has balanced out.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:24 am

<Annie>"Thank Theus!"</Annie>

8-)

Seriously, I think she's the token Vendel in HoA...
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby spizio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:30 am

salamanca wrote:Not anymore. The nation thing has balanced out.

Not around here.
spizio

Return to Welcome