Mapping a Combat Encounter

Introductions, Greetings, Salutations, and other Noob Questions.

Mapping a Combat Encounter

Postby Lady Grace » Tue May 23, 2017 2:51 pm

I am expecting a major combat the next time I GM 7th Sea. Most of the time, I don't bother with maps. But given potential NPC shenanigans (both pro & anti PC), plus the environment (mountains of Castille/cavern) itself PLUS the MacGuffin threat that may unite the sides (a Fire Mountain), I need to keep track of where everyone will be.

My drawing skills SUCK, however. And I probably wouldn't be able to get a backdrop/terrain in time.

Any advice?
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Re: Mapping a Combat Encounter

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 23, 2017 3:38 pm

There are dozens of map generators online available for free. I use a couple if I haven't envisioned the environment beforehand. But as I often have the map in mind when I write, I usually know what it looks like where they're going to fight. In that case, I will use Penultimate on my iPad (you've probably seen me drawing on it at the games.)
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Tue May 23, 2017 6:59 pm

grab some minis, a handful of junk to represent terrain and just layout the immediate area when it happens.

if you need them to have an idea of where they are headed, do a bad pirate map drawing of it.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed May 24, 2017 8:41 am

Oh and for GOD'S SAKE don't draw a lot of details. Players will inevitably ruin your great idea exploring some inconsequential building or other...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed May 24, 2017 10:24 am

Yes, make sure all your buildings have doors and windows.... :lol:
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Lady Grace » Wed May 24, 2017 11:06 am

Fortunately, no buildings. Just cliffs and a cavern...
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed May 24, 2017 2:27 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:Players will inevitably ruin your great idea exploring some inconsequential building or other...

Ahem... really!?
Sister Sonya

Return to Welcome