Aging rules

Introductions, Greetings, Salutations, and other Noob Questions.

Aging rules

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:13 pm

As my mind ruminates on when we switch Campaigns...

1. When we switch over to the next living Campaign approx. 3 years from now, would you make use of the Aging Rules in the GM Guide (pg 167)?

2. More generally, when it says +1 or -1 as a modifier, does it mean by 1 point to the roll? It makes no mention of either Kept or Unkept dice taken away or added.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Re: Aging rules

Postby salamanca » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:24 pm

The books are not in front of me so no comment on part 2.

As for part one, if you want to play a little old lady, that is up to you but the campaign (like the current one) will cover a year of time from start to finish so no need to apply aging during the campaign. Except to Mark and Myself.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:35 pm

Dave's right, and as a bonus it's the exact same year (1667) so technically none of us can age! WOO I'M IMMORTAL!!!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:23 am

And the second part of the question, Mark?
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:29 pm

Lady Grace wrote:And the second part of the question, Mark?

TL/DR Answer, Kept Dice.

Longer Answer
IC (p. 82) says the Age and Wisdom Advantage allows your character to begin either Middle-Aged (1HP) or Old (2HP), both confer the penalties and bonuses listed in the GM's Guide (p. 167). So far so good.

Ok looking at the GMG p. 167 the chart shows modifiers (+1, 0, -1, etc.) for Martial and Civil Skills. But above, in the written text, it mentions specifically the modifiers affect the trait you are using. So the bonuses/penalties are all kept dice.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Also, I guess, if your character starts off as Middle/Old Age in the new living campaign, would the GMs be applying the aging penalties/bonuses?

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:00 pm

We would be expecting you to self police that. We have 300+ participants spread over 4 cons. At least half of them are active. We can't track every last flaw each of you have.

If you want the benefits of age, you will pay the penalty of age.

BUT...

If you just want to play a very old cranky lady and don't care about the bonuses, just say your character is old and we will let it slide as flavor. (El Conquistador doesn't have the age and wisdom listed and he may be the third oldest NPC in the campaign.)
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Return to Welcome