XP

Introductions, Greetings, Salutations, and other Noob Questions.

XP

Postby Oxymoron » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:22 pm

So I played for the first time at Gencon, and recently posted my character on the Forum. Some mentioned both Hero points and XP. I know what Hero points are for, but I'm not sure what XP is used for? Can anyone explain this?
Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Oxymoron

Re: XP

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:03 pm

Not a stupid question at all!
Ok, since I know you have the Player's Guide, just turn to page 191 and that will explain everything.
But barring that, like most rpgs you're going to get Experience Points (XP) at the end of the game. You can use those points to improve your character (get new backgrounds, increase Traits/Skills, buy new Advantages/Skills/Languages).
Costs are as follows:
Increase Trait: XP cost 5x(New Trait Number). So going from a 2 Brawn to a 3 Brawn would cost 15 XP
Increase Skill: Basic and Advanced Knacks now cost the same. 2x(New Trait Number). So going from 3 Attack (Fencing) to 4 Attack (Fencing) costs 8 XP
New Background: 3x (Number of Background) so getting a Hunted 3 would cost 9 XP
New Skill: Flat 10 XP
New Advantage: 3xHP cost of Advantage (Subject to GM approval). So going up a rank in the military would be a fine expenditure, getting Legendary Trait wouldn't (that's just something you're born with)
New Language: 3xHP cost to get Language. So if you wanted to learn Cymric (3HP cost for your Montaigne) the cost would be 9 XP. If you wanted to Read/Write, that'd be an additional 3 XP.
New Swordsman School: First you must possess the two skills required for the school then the cost is 50 XP
Hope that answered everything!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Oxymoron » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:11 pm

I think I got it. Thank you!

Edit: Actually, I do have one question. I still want to get a Montaigne Puzzle Sword. It says it costs HP, can you use XP instead, and if so what's the cost?
Oxymoron

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:29 pm

Oxymoron wrote:Edit: Actually, I do have one question. I still want to get a Montaigne Puzzle Sword. It says it costs HP, can you use XP instead, and if so what's the cost?

Oops, Sorry didn't see you'd added to this question. Puzzle Swords are advantages like Legendary Trait (in that you either have them from the start or you don't), so no XP cost.

That said, if you poke around the corners of the campaign, you MIGHT just find some magic items you might like as much (if not more)...

(I say because there were three magic swords and some other things in HoA and only one has been found*...)

*These cost you nothing (you "pay" for them by playing adventures)
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Oxymoron » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:55 pm

Ok, good to know. I'll definitely keep an eye out for one of those.
Oxymoron

Return to Welcome