Heroes of Altamira Rules Clarifications

Introductions, Greetings, Salutations, and other Noob Questions.

Re: Heroes of Altamira Rules Clarifications

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed May 25, 2011 1:39 pm

well, when we all have a couple of months free and one or more of us has finally wrestled the rights to 7th Sea away from AEG, we can sit down and write up 2nd Ed and fix all those nasty little problems.

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
User avatar
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Heroes of Altamira Rules Clarifications

Postby salamanca » Wed May 25, 2011 3:26 pm

It does not need a rewrite. All.of these problem spots work just fine so long as nobody looks too long or hard at the printed page. The desired result is normally very obvious all the GM needs to do is assess a fair TN and let the rest fall in place.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: Heroes of Altamira Rules Clarifications

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed May 25, 2011 4:26 pm

salamanca wrote:...all the GM needs to do is assess a fair TN and let the rest fall in place.

I can agree with that.
Sister Sonya
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:59 am

Re: Heroes of Altamira Rules Clarifications

Postby Klcp » Thu May 26, 2011 1:50 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:well, when we all have a couple of months free and one or more of us has finally wrestled the rights to 7th Sea away from AEG, we can sit down and write up 2nd Ed and fix all those nasty little problems.

Mark


You don't understand how much I wish someone could do that...
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
User avatar
Klcp
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Re: Heroes of Altamira Rules Clarifications

Postby salamanca » Fri May 27, 2011 6:47 pm

Again, you don't need a revision, you just need someone to get clearance to restart the line with new material.

(ideally, that person needs to involve Dana, if you all had any idea where he wanted to take things, you would be camped on his front lawn)
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Noob Character creation: weapon skill

Postby quithanire » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:46 am

My wife and I are playing at Origins. Bought the rulebooks and I am working on our heroes. I am working on a Vesten hero and I have a question. Can I become skilled with a hand axe, as one would a knife, wihtout taking the Siggursdottir school? I could really see a Vesten using the handaxe as a closing weapon more dependable than a flintlock and better than a bow at close range. I was suprised this wasnt a basic weapon really. I hope this is not a stupid question.

C. Taylor
quithanire
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:07 am

Re: Noob Character creation: weapon skill

Postby salamanca » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:22 am

You can. The skill was not added until around the time the vesten book came out. Off the top of my head it would be a martial skill with basic knacks in attack and parry and an advanced knack in throw. It may have another advanced knack but I'm not looking at a rulebook at the moment.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: Noob Character creation: weapon skill

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:41 am

Sal is correct, but he did mean Hand Axe didn't come out until the Ussura book (I'll just knock a few points off his geek cred). And he's also correct, basic knacks are Attack and Parry, and the only advanced knack is Throw.

Welcome to The Guild.

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
User avatar
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Noob Character creation: weapon skill

Postby salamanca » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:58 pm

You post that reply at 6:15 am and see how accurate you are... Nevermind, I'll come pound on your door thursday and ask you directly.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: Noob Character creation: weapon skill

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Alright I fess up, I had the pdf right here at my disposal...

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
User avatar
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Massachusetts

background question

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:27 pm

EDIT: Merged this into the proper forum/post

Mark

I would like to create a character that starts out as a Wandering Knight of the Rose & Cross. Is this doable? If so are there any special prerequisites? In the last campaign that I played in, the requirement was that you have Servant, Doctor (surgery) and Leaping in order to start as a Wandering Knight.
Dr. Miguel Contreras
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: background question

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Dr Van Stuben wrote:I would like to create a character that starts out as a Wandering Knight of the Rose & Cross. Is this doable? If so are there any special prerequisites? In the last campaign that I played in, the requirement was that you have Servant, Doctor (surgery) and Leaping in order to start as a Wandering Knight.


Doctor, first off, Welcome to GoSM!

Ok easiest questions first, yup its certainly do-able to start as a Wandering Knight. Rather than the full restrictions, we require that you just have the basics. So, as long as you have Athletics, Doctor, Fencing, Servant and two Traits at 3 you're ready for Knighthood (Wandering that is).

Sound ok to you?
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
User avatar
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: background question

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:45 pm

I should probably also have mentioned there's already a Knight's Template on the Template page.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
User avatar
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: background question

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:35 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
Dr Van Stuben wrote:I would like to create a character that starts out as a Wandering Knight of the Rose & Cross. Is this doable? If so are there any special prerequisites? In the last campaign that I played in, the requirement was that you have Servant, Doctor (surgery) and Leaping in order to start as a Wandering Knight.


Doctor, first off, Welcome to GoSM!

Ok easiest questions first, yup its certainly do-able to start as a Wandering Knight. Rather than the full restrictions, we require that you just have the basics. So, as long as you have Athletics, Doctor, Fencing, Servant and two Traits at 3 you're ready for Knighthood (Wandering that is).

Sound ok to you?


Sounds great, thanks.
Dr. Miguel Contreras
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: background question

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:37 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:I should probably also have mentioned there's already a Knight's Template on the Template page.


i'll check it out.

Also, how do I change my name on this forum? I now am thinking about a different character concept.
Dr. Miguel Contreras
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Heroes of Altamira Rules Clarifications

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:07 pm

Dr Van Stuben wrote:how do I change my name on this forum? I now am thinking about a different character concept.


You know, I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure I allowed it. So lemme look into it.

As for the new character concept, great! I'd rather have you playing a character because you're invested in it rather than playing a character because you mentioned an idea to me first.

If you're undecided, you can always take one of the Premades and play it for the con THEN decide what character you want to play or even if this campaign is your cup of tea. If you go that route, you can transfer all the xp, stuff, and Rep to the new character.

Mark

EDIT: well that was easy. Ok changing your forum name. Log in (obviously), click on User Control Panel, then click on Profile, the first line should have your current forum name. Change it and hit save changes. Voila! (oh you might have to put in your password, not positive about that).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
User avatar
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Heroes of Altamira Rules Clarifications

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:55 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
Dr Van Stuben wrote:how do I change my name on this forum? I now am thinking about a different character concept.


You know, I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure I allowed it. So lemme look into it.

As for the new character concept, great! I'd rather have you playing a character because you're invested in it rather than playing a character because you mentioned an idea to me first.

If you're undecided, you can always take one of the Premades and play it for the con THEN decide what character you want to play or even if this campaign is your cup of tea. If you go that route, you can transfer all the xp, stuff, and Rep to the new character.

Mark

EDIT: well that was easy. Ok changing your forum name. Log in (obviously), click on User Control Panel, then click on Profile, the first line should have your current forum name. Change it and hit save changes. Voila! (oh you might have to put in your password, not positive about that).


Great, thanks.
Dr. Miguel Contreras
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Heroes of Altamira Rules Clarifications

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Tue May 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
Dr Van Stuben wrote:how do I change my name on this forum? I now am thinking about a different character concept.


You know, I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure I allowed it. So lemme look into it.

As for the new character concept, great! I'd rather have you playing a character because you're invested in it rather than playing a character because you mentioned an idea to me first.

If you're undecided, you can always take one of the Premades and play it for the con THEN decide what character you want to play or even if this campaign is your cup of tea. If you go that route, you can transfer all the xp, stuff, and Rep to the new character.

Mark

EDIT: well that was easy. Ok changing your forum name. Log in (obviously), click on User Control Panel, then click on Profile, the first line should have your current forum name. Change it and hit save changes. Voila! (oh you might have to put in your password, not positive about that).


Mark,

I did everything as you stated and I could edit everything but my name. It was in bold and I couldn't change it. I clicked on it, I highlighted it, I tried deleting it, but nothing worked. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
Dr. Miguel Contreras
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Heroes of Altamira Rules Clarifications

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Dr Van Stuben wrote:Mark,

I did everything as you stated and I could edit everything but my name. It was in bold and I couldn't change it. I clicked on it, I highlighted it, I tried deleting it, but nothing worked. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?


Wow I sure am learning a lot about this board I never knew before. I have allowed name changes but the board minimum is 10 posts so you can't change it until you've posted that many times. So, tell us about your character, ask some forum questions and post an introduction of yourself (maybe even in character). You should get there in no time. Once you do change your name, the system should go and retroactively put it on your old posts.

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
User avatar
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Heroes of Altamira Rules Clarifications

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Wed May 02, 2012 11:21 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
Dr Van Stuben wrote:Mark,

I did everything as you stated and I could edit everything but my name. It was in bold and I couldn't change it. I clicked on it, I highlighted it, I tried deleting it, but nothing worked. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?


Wow I sure am learning a lot about this board I never knew before. I have allowed name changes but the board minimum is 10 posts so you can't change it until you've posted that many times. So, tell us about your character, ask some forum questions and post an introduction of yourself (maybe even in character). You should get there in no time. Once you do change your name, the system should go and retroactively put it on your old posts.

Mark


Gotcha, thanks Mark
Dr. Miguel Contreras
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Noob Character Creation Question

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Wed May 02, 2012 2:33 pm

I have a noob character creation question. I'm creating a Castillian Noble/Doctor/Scholar Wandering Knight of the Rose & Cross. I'm putting so many points in so many areas that I won't have enough left over for a sword school. What is the in game process of becoming an Initiate of the Soldano school? Also, can I spend 6HP to purchase a Soldano sword if I am not part of the school to start? And if that is ok to purchase one, can I purchase it for 5HP if I am from Soldano as stated in the Castillian book?

Another noob question: if I pick 2 Civil Skills with overlapping knacks, do I start with Rank 2 with those knacks?
Dr. Miguel Contreras
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Noob Character Creation Question

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed May 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Dr Van Stuben wrote:I have a noob character creation question. I'm creating a Castillian Noble/Doctor/Scholar Wandering Knight of the Rose & Cross. I'm putting so many points in so many areas that I won't have enough left over for a sword school. What is the in game process of becoming an Initiate of the Soldano school? Also, can I spend 6HP to purchase a Soldano sword if I am not part of the school to start? And if that is ok to purchase one, can I purchase it for 5HP if I am from Soldano as stated in the Castillian book?


Oh boy MORE fun 1st time questions!
1) Becoming an Initiate - First, find someone willing to teach you (Oh boy I am seeing a Background here, you can do this at the Personal Agendas). Then gather the 20 xp required, and you're an Initiate!

2) Buying a Soldano Blade - You don't have to have a sword school in order to have the blade (though I DO recommend having the Fencing Skill ;) ).

3) HP Cost of Soldano Blades - I can't seem to find any mention of that in the Castille book, but we aren't using the 'Family advantages' anyway so just go with the 6 HP cost.

Mark

Oh and just as a reminder, we do use the 'synergy bonus' so if you've got overlapping skills that can help save you some points.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
User avatar
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Noob Character Creation Question

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Wed May 02, 2012 5:33 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
Dr Van Stuben wrote:I have a noob character creation question. I'm creating a Castillian Noble/Doctor/Scholar Wandering Knight of the Rose & Cross. I'm putting so many points in so many areas that I won't have enough left over for a sword school. What is the in game process of becoming an Initiate of the Soldano school? Also, can I spend 6HP to purchase a Soldano sword if I am not part of the school to start? And if that is ok to purchase one, can I purchase it for 5HP if I am from Soldano as stated in the Castillian book?


Oh boy MORE fun 1st time questions!
1) Becoming an Initiate - First, find someone willing to teach you (Oh boy I am seeing a Background here, you can do this at the Personal Agendas). Then gather the 20 xp required, and you're an Initiate!

2) Buying a Soldano Blade - You don't have to have a sword school in order to have the blade (though I DO recommend having the Fencing Skill ;) ).

3) HP Cost of Soldano Blades - I can't seem to find any mention of that in the Castille book, but we aren't using the 'Family advantages' anyway so just go with the 6 HP cost.

Mark

Oh and just as a reminder, we do use the 'synergy bonus' so if you've got overlapping skills that can help save you some points.


Great, thanks Mark
Dr. Miguel Contreras
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Noob Character creation: weapon skill

Postby salamanca » Wed May 02, 2012 6:33 pm

And I will double check everything at the table for everyone. Just make a list of what you spent where and it will go fast.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: Noob Character creation: weapon skill

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Fri May 04, 2012 2:41 pm

salamanca wrote:And I will double check everything at the table for everyone. Just make a list of what you spent where and it will go fast.


Ok, thanks.
Dr. Miguel Contreras
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron