Journeyman Donovan and the Watered-Down Riposte

Introductions, Greetings, Salutations, and other Noob Questions.

Journeyman Donovan and the Watered-Down Riposte

Postby Alejandro » Thu May 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Journeyman Donovan says that, if you parry your opponent's attack, you deal Xk1 damage to that opponent, where X=1+(1 per every increment of 5 that your parry roll beats your opponent's attack roll). It sounds like a Riposte that automatically hits and deals less damage than the knack of the same name, and yet, Donovan students get Riposte as a school knack. So my question: how does the Journeyman ability for Donovan interact with the Riposte knack?
Alejandro
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Journeyman Donovan and the Watered-Down Riposte

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu May 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Alejandro wrote:Journeyman Donovan says that, if you parry your opponent's attack, you deal Xk1 damage to that opponent, where X=1+(1 per every increment of 5 that your parry roll beats your opponent's attack roll). It sounds like a Riposte that automatically hits and deals less damage than the knack of the same name, and yet, Donovan students get Riposte as a school knack. So my question: how does the Journeyman ability for Donovan interact with the Riposte knack?

Simple answer is, it doesn't.
Donovan's Twist works only when you use Parry (Fencing) as your active defense. Riposte uses half your Parry (rounded down).

So you really have a choice, use Parry (automatic damage) or Riposte (more ability to fine-tune vs different opponents)

For Example:
Assume (for the sake of argument) 4 in all Traits, 4 in all skills
Parry (Fencing) - 8k4 to parry, automatic 1k1 (+1k0 for each 5 above the attack roll) damage
Riposte - 6k4 to parry, 6k4 to hit (with 4 dice to split between the two however you want) damage by weapon type plus Brawn...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
User avatar
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Journeyman Donovan and the Watered-Down Riposte

Postby Alejandro » Thu May 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks. I didn't think they really went together, and it bothered me.
Alejandro
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Journeyman Donovan and the Watered-Down Riposte

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu May 24, 2012 6:08 pm

Overall it's not one of the best schools. The Master ability is rarely if ever used (most just assume everyone can do it anyway). I have never, in all the time I've played/GM'ed 7th Sea, seen anyone who liked Donovan over Andrews or Robertson.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
User avatar
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Journeyman Donovan and the Watered-Down Riposte

Postby Alejandro » Thu May 24, 2012 6:11 pm

Yeah Andrews and Robertson are both pretty interesting. I was actually struggling to decide between them for a while.
Alejandro
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Journeyman Donovan and the Watered-Down Riposte

Postby salamanca » Thu May 24, 2012 10:23 pm

The nice part is that since you see the attack result first, you know roughly what your chances are. An attack that barely hit you is probably better responded to using the "twist" as you have a greater chance of adding dice. An attack that went well over your defense may be better riposted by pouring all your dice into the parry and possibly getting lucky on the follow up attack.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: Journeyman Donovan and the Watered-Down Riposte

Postby thistledown » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:21 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:Overall it's not one of the best schools. The Master ability is rarely if ever used (most just assume everyone can do it anyway). I have never, in all the time I've played/GM'ed 7th Sea, seen anyone who liked Donovan over Andrews or Robertson.


On the other hand, it's in the core book while the others are not. I haven't known any GM's who would enforce having the book as a requirement, but it could happen.
thistledown
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:36 pm


Return to Welcome

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron