Rogues of Canguine Character Creation Help

The repository for all things "Rogues of Canguine." Post your character, discuss their in-character adventures, speak with local Secret Societies (if you can find them).

Rogues of Canguine Character Creation Help

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:37 pm

Here you can find any/all the stuff that'll be the most helpful to create characters for RoC. I have finished updating the old Crystal Keep books. Here are the new ones that have been edited to be specifically for RoC along with the new Sophia's Daughters book!

NOTE: This is the SD we will be playing with, so if you were planning on using the old book, make sure nothing has changed between the books (and I can almost guarantee that something did, so be forewarned).
Attachments
The First Tome.pdf
The NEW Sophia's Daughters
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 427 times
RoC Hero Creation Cheatsheet.pdf
Character Creation
(767.52 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
RoC Sorcery Cheatsheet.pdf
Sorcery
(454.94 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
RoC Sword School Cheatsheet.pdf
Sword Schools
(561.73 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Rogues of Canguine Character Creation Help

Postby daundelyon » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:29 pm

*I read forum description, starts laughing like a loon, go to show Sam*
Sam: *huffs, puts on a silly voice* "I've only got 47..."
*I loose it completely*

Thank you Mark, I needed that!
"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby salamanca » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:45 am

Well, Sam needs to start paring down.

We are probably going to limit this to ONE character per player.

If a player is allowed into an event a second time, it will be in control of a weaker pregen to play a supporting role to the first time in the event players.

Those players deserve to need to figure out the problems of an adventure for themselves instead of geeting to ride the coattails of a player with out of character information.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby MacShidhe » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:50 pm

salamanca wrote:Well, Sam needs to start paring down.

For the record, I've got 40 pre-gen 100 point templates made. I think it only took me a weekend to make those. :lol:

salamanca wrote:Those players deserve to need to figure out the problems of an adventure for themselves instead of geeting to ride the coattails of a player with out of character information.

I apologize if I've been providing OoC info with any of my secondaries.
MacShidhe

Postby salamanca » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:04 pm

I am not saying you. Any of us can do it with a second character because we want the character to be the hero.

We want our back ups to shine in the spotlight. It is a natural instinct. Nothing wrong with the concept. The problem is that with limited numbers of GMs and limited spaces at tables, some players always get shifted to waiting a year or more to play the event and we want to minimize loading the table with people who just want to go again because, inevitably, situations come up for problem solving and that leads to 3 outcomes.

1- the first time players take the lead and solve the problem.

2- the first time players realize they have people at the table and wait for them to solve the challenges for them.

3- the return players just solve the challenge and don't give the first run players a chance.

I hate 2 of those options.
It is the reason i opted to play a 10 year old boy for rhe first campaign, to keep people from waiti g for me to be in charge. (Option B was a waissen)

But the hard truth is that if a player is on a second or third playthrough, they should be there to fill a space at the table and not to roleplay everybody's socks off. And that happens far easier when working with a pregen.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:21 pm

daundelyon wrote:*I read forum description, starts laughing like a loon, go to show Sam*
Sam: *huffs, puts on a silly voice* "I've only got 47..."
*I loose it completely*

Thank you Mark, I needed that!

I was wondering how long it would take you all to notice ;)

Though in truth, I put this up because I discovered I can't use Chaosium's Explorer's Society to post the new Sophia's Daughters (they only allow 2nd Ed. stuff). So I thought, once I get the rest of the editing done, I'd post it here.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:43 am

Test

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:44 am

I grade your test a C+.

While correct, I expect more content out of a written answer examination as well as the use of punctuation.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:39 am

Sorry I thought I'd deleted that. But now I have to leave it in for posterity

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Nutmeg_25 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:11 pm

My backup is sorely sorely broken
Twos in stats and fives in skills
http://nanowrimo.org/widget/MyMonth/megsong23.png
Nutmeg_25

Postby vogelsong » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:00 am

I have a few questions about the upcoming setting, if it's not too early to ask:

1) Is there anything specific we should keep in mind about Canguine when thinking about characters?

2) How accurate is the information on Canguine in the Pirate Nations 1st ed sourcebook?

3) Are the characters expected to have some sort of affiliation with the Sea Dogs?

4) Which secret societies would be most appropriate to play in this setting? Are there any that are outright restricted?
vogelsong

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:38 am

Good a place as any to ask, and no, you're not too early.

vogelsong wrote:1) Is there anything specific we should keep in mind about Canguine when thinking about characters?

Well it is the ROGUES of Canguine as opposed to the HEROES of Altamira. So the focus will be more mercenary in its outlook. That said, you will not be playing villains so I often tell folks think of Han Solo, Lando, Barbwire, Starlord, Selene (from Underworld), Grimjack (comic book), etc. You're generally on the side of the angels but you have your own way of doing things. We're even working on a new way to do reputation (points for dealing with problems quietly and efficiently rather than heroically)

vogelsong wrote:2) How accurate is the information on Canguine in the Pirate Nations 1st ed sourcebook?

Almost word for word. I am using it as the basis for the NPCs (though there were be far more in the campaign than are written about in the writeup).

vogelsong wrote:3) Are the characters expected to have some sort of affiliation with the Sea Dogs?

You can if you want to, but it's certainly not necessary.

vogelsong wrote:4) Which secret societies would be most appropriate to play in this setting? Are there any that are outright restricted?

Just like HoA I have a list of those allowed. They are, Die Kreuzritter, Rilasciare, and Sophia's Daughters.

Some caveats:
1) as for Rilasciare, you may not be a member of the Guerilla Alliance (the bomb throwers/terrorists) or the Oppositionists (Fate Witch murderers)
2) Sophia's Daughters will not be RAW. Instead I re-wrote the whole book and we'll be using that instead (I am waiting on final approval from two of my readers and then I will release it into the wild. You'll be able to find it here when it's ready)

Last, you didn't ask for this but it seems as good a place as any to post it. Here are the full rules I wrote up

Rogues of Canguine Character Creation
Nationalities –
Heroes may be of any of the basic nations (Avalon, Castille, Eisen, Montaigne, Ussura, Vendel-Vesten, Vodacce) plus Kanuba and Marcina in the Midnight Archipelago. No other exotics are available (Bryn Bresail, Cathay, Crescent Empire, or other Midnight Archipelago).

HP/XP
Players may select any 105HP templates then individualize with an additional 30HP
Or players can simply build a character on their own with 130HP

Sorcery –
All sorceries/shamanisms from the Mainland Nations are available save Zerstorung. In addition, Nacht, Opah, Erego, and Sophia's Daughters' potion brewing school are also available.

Swordsman Schools –
All schools from the mainland nations and the various secret societies are available. In addition, Nahgem from the Midnight Archipelago is also available.

Backgrounds –
All base backgrounds are available along with any from the secret societies and nation books in play. Those from other books will be taken on a case by case basis. If taken, heroes can play their backgrounds during any “Personal Agendas” adventures. They receive an additional 1XP for each adventure. For every HP invested, heroes will have 4 adventures to complete the background. Heroes may also earn backgrounds over the course of the campaign. In that case, the number of adventures is pre-determined.

Secret Societies –
Available – Die Kreuzritter, Rilasciare (no Guerilla Allegiance, or Oppositionists), Sophia’s Daughters (Using The First Tome: Sophia’s Daughters Re-Imagined)

Unavailable – Explorer’s Society, Invisible College, Knights of the Rose and Cross, Los Vagos

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:23 pm

The new and improved Daughters will be worth waiting to look into. I have had a chance to peek at part of it and it has some very interesting options.

Mark, just double checking... are you allowing Fuego mages?
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:33 pm

salamanca wrote:Mark, just double checking... are you allowing Fuego mages?

No reason to keep them out that I can see. Plus as a bonus, Fuego Mages won't have to keep looking over their shoulders for the Inquisition. I am CERTAIN there won't be any problems with using it... heh heh heh.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:40 pm

Romero hits puberty! :twisted:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby vogelsong » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:55 pm

Thank you very much for the quick answers! This will definitely be helpful in eventually deciding which direction to go.

salamanca wrote:The new and improved Daughters will be worth waiting to look into.?

With the first games a ways off, I intend to wait awhile before submitting anything final. I'm looking forward to seeing what has been cooked up for the Daughters.
vogelsong

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:06 pm

HP/XP
Players may select any 105HP templates then individualize with an additional 30HP

Where are these 105HP templates to be found?
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:06 pm

Sister Sonya wrote:
HP/XP

Where are these 105HP templates to be found?

Surprisingly enough, Sam has already written them up for me. I just haven't gotten them written up into PDF form. (nor have I created the RoC portion of the website, so there's that).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby MacShidhe » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:13 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
Surprisingly enough, Sam has already written them up for me. I just haven't gotten them written up into PDF form. (nor have I created the RoC portion of the website, so there's that).

There are currently 39 templates that I put together over a weekend. 8-)
MacShidhe

Postby daundelyon » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:55 pm

MacShidhe wrote:
There are currently 39 templates that I put together over a weekend. 8-)

He decided to put the creation enthusiasm to constructive use. ;)
"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby Nutmeg_25 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:54 am

I have two planned-One is contingent on one specific player being there to play with me, So is back up
http://nanowrimo.org/widget/MyMonth/megsong23.png
Nutmeg_25

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:57 pm

I can think of no better honorific to the wonderful players of HoA on this auspicious International Women's Day than to release the (hopefully now) finished version of The First Tome: Sophia's Daughters Re-Imagined.

I've added it to the downloads at the top of the page. Enjoy.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:27 pm

It's done. It was done 3 revisions ago. You just been fiddling.

And it is pretty darn shiny.
salamanca

Postby groovy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:12 pm

Does HoA stop after 20 episodes (so this next campaign starts in 2023) or 24 episodes (so this next one starts in 2025)?
groovy

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:35 pm

Don't stop Mark here at 20, you will not be happy.

It will be bad enough waiting a year for 21.

(And also, it WAS meant to start in 2023 but covid put us on the shelf for 2 years)
salamanca

Next

Return to The "Rogues" of Canguine