Backgrounds Defined and Clarified

The place to ask questions about taking a Background, discuss Backgrounds, and post your Background, etc.

Re: Backgrounds Defined and Clarified

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:49 pm

@Kara, Thus I'd like to have 3 GMs at PAs. Two for Backgrounds/Duels/Whatever and an additional one for the 'event'

But, as it stands now I can run things simultaneously, people can help one another, the Backgrounds with puzzles can be worked on while I focus on other things, etc. And remember, we only have 6 PCs with backgrounds right now. If we split them into halves, I can easily handle 3 backgrounds at once.

Mark

PS, YOU could always volunteer to run some backgrounds too...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:54 pm

The backgrounds will occasionally (for in game earned ones) fold into the PA adventure. The HP ones and the rest will get handled in much the same way CV handles promotion and individual activity in the drydock. The rest of the players will be on hand to help you out if you want and nobody will stop you from opting to interactively roleplay with each other while you wait. I would like to see us split the duties as "adventure GM" "background GM'" and "doing stuff in town GM". My problem with that is I want to serve as two of those.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:31 pm

See Mark, I would, however between CV and HoA I would have little-to-no time to play and...unlike you, I am extremely unwilling to give up my player status in either game.
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby salamanca » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:50 pm

Yeah, we are saving Kara for when we get to senile to run. Let her have the next 4 years to play.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Just thought she might have some fun seeing ahead to some of the evil stuff I had planned for other's backgrounds...

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Klcp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:48 pm

No, no, no, no, no! I don't wanna know! -covers ears- LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T WANNA KNOW!!!
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:40 pm

I thought for certain you'd want to know what evil I'd planned for the others... Hmm...

@Sal, what did you think I had kids for?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Klcp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:50 pm

No, no, no! I don't like gamemastering because I dont enjoy knowing what's going to happen. It ruins the fun for me. I refuse to open my presents before Christmas morning (literally, my mom tells us where she hides them so we know where not to look). Kristin just spoiled to me something about CV and I'm a little peeved that she did.
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Ah but the other players' background events don't have anything to do with the main adventures (so unless they told you what happened, you'd never know).

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Klcp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Hmmm.....maybe.
Klcp

Postby salamanca » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:10 pm

now everybody will want to see... bad idea here. Then again, if you bring David next year, I think I can make a GM out of him by friday night.
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 pm

A ten year old GM.....hmmm...
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:56 pm

Mark: "David, Sal says he can make you a GM by Friday of Origins"
David: "I can already do it, watch. :rolls dice but doesn't look at the result: 'You're all dead!'"

Yup, he's ready all right.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Klcp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:59 pm

Oh, that's great! Your son is amazing!
Klcp

Postby salamanca » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:41 pm

Dead is too easy. By friday, i'll have him using "are you sure you don't want to add a DD?" and "oh good, I thought you would take the smart and easy option."
salamanca

Just a Reminder

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:21 pm

For the next six months Heroes of Altamira is on hiatus (no more cons to run till February, adventures just need to be edited, playtesting over, everything is pretty much up to date). SO if you were thinking of, or have already purchased a Background, NOW would be the time to get your description written and posted here. That way the GM (me) has lots of time to write up the evil adventures which will torture you for years to come.

Just Sayin...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Allow me to clarify that statement. If you have a background and expect us to do something interesting with it, you need to post it in this section!!!. We cannot create cool background adventures for players that lurk. Sign in and post you backgrounds and character stats. That way you get cool adventures and not some lame thing we cooked up on the spot when we have already handled a dozen other players. We will be paying more attention to characters we can reference on this site.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:49 pm

And allow me to clarify a bit more. Sal may be willing to cook something up on the spot, but I won't. On this I am firm. Backgrounds are a way to make the campaign more personal to the characters. I've already done my part to make it interesting. Now it's your turn.

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:40 am

Just a bump to remind folks if they wanted to get their background ready for the very first HoA PA, there's just over 4 months until TotalConfusion. I'm taking a bit of a break from writing so I have lots of free time...

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:53 pm

Those of you who want backgrounds and haven't sent them in yet. Just a warning, we have just 10 weeks to go before Total Confusion...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Ok. Just to summarize things: we have the Background part of the Personal Agenda, at the XP explained previously.

But, what about the Adventure portion of the 4 hour event? How many XP are on the line for that?
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:39 pm

Easy way to calculate any game I run, 1xp per hour plus bonuses.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Just to double clarify:. Adventure sessions will probably depend on who is running, what the adventure demands, other non-xp awards (and I am thinking players could end up with free backgrounds or minor advantages from these instead of xp) success in completing the adventure and other factors. Also your solo background section will probably reward a player for what they manage to accomplish in the time given so make sure you get some thoughts on priorities. (earned in game backgrounds might also expire before you collect them if you dawdle in pursuing those. The biggest factor will naturally be attendance at the PA. With a full house of players who have backgrounds, you will get less time than a full session of players without personal goals to pursue. I have also looked over the plots for the submitted backgrounds and know that there are characters that have had multiple backgrounds interwoven so certain things will not happen until we see how others play out. And before anybody complains about XP earnings, by volunteering to run that PA, I surrendered any XP from the only PA session I could attend. If we have a full house, expect to have 15 minutes of solo background time.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:26 pm

One Final Warning for all you TotalCon folks...

We have just over a month before TC2012 starts. Thats enough time for me to write up your backgrounds but we're rapidly running out of time. So if you're planning on coming to Personal Agendas to play through your Background, you need to get it to me ASAP!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:53 am

Now I move on to bugging the Origins folks. If you want to be able to play through your Background at Personal Agendas, I'm going to need your write-up to work from. Now would be a perfect time to get that done and put up here on the website.

Just a note that everyone who's already sent that stuff in is all set. I have adventures for all of you.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Backgrounds