Background - Sigvald Andrikson

The place to ask questions about taking a Background, discuss Backgrounds, and post your Background, etc.

Background - Sigvald Andrikson

Postby Sigvald Andrikson » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Sigvald comes from a noble line of Vestenmannjavnjar Warriors. After having traveled the Trade Sea as a raider and learning the sacred histories and traditions of his people as a Skald his star was on the rise. However, when the Vendel broke away his younger brother Gunter, swayed by the lure of wealth joined the ranks of the enemy and stole much of the village's hard earned plunder (taking a living man's gold? what gall!). With such a stain upon his honor, Sigvald cannot claim a position of prestige in the village and thus embarks on a quest to capture his wayward sibling and return him to justice. Journeying with his cousin Cestus, he has followed rumors across the Trade Sea and up the course of the Dechain River to the city of Altamira, but it is here that the trail has run cold.
Sigvald Andrikson

Re: Sigvald Andrikson

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:55 pm

Paul this is an official Background correct? I'm guessing either Bloodsworn or Hated Relative (leaning toward the latter of course). How many points did you put into it?
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sigvald Andrikson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:24 am

Hated Relative (2)
Sigvald Andrikson

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:23 am

Ok I've got a couple of ideas, but to do them justice, I'm gonna need a bit more meat on the bone, so to speak. Tell me about your village, your family (other than your brother and cousin), your relationship to your brother prior to his betrayal, any other significant people in your life, etc.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:49 am

I'm not sure if it is proper to post this here BJR, but a benevolent GM might consider allowing a player to amend his character, to include conditions immediately after his character arrives in Altamira.

In other words, Sigvald might note the lack of proper drinking establishments, and drink, in Altamira, despite its supposed cosmopolitan values, the he might be permitted to select Merchant (brewer).

If the GM were benevolent, that is...
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:49 pm

I assume you're speaking about the Mead Hall right Mike? If so, I don't think having the skill is really what he's looking for. I might more properly call it a business opportunity for his fellow Vesten (all 26 of them)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:54 pm

And any true Vestenmannavnjar would kill a heretic priestess for suggesting he take up a merchant trade. Vesten drink, they fight, they may even make stuff but running a business makes you a Vendel.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:54 am

So, we now have 26 official Vesten player/characters in HoA now!?

No one is forcing our Sigvald to joining a Brewer's Merchant Guild (@4HP) and takng orders from and reporting to a Vendel Guildmaster.

Quoting from the "Vesten" Sourcebook, p.143, "Brewer: This Knack is used for making beer and ale." Nothing there about necessarily being a Merchant. Who makes drink for the Vestens in Vestenland?

If Sigvald prefers to pass the opportunity on to a fellow Vesten for making and providing drink to Inns and taverns in Altamira, that works too.
Sister Sonya

Postby Sigvald Andrikson » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:58 am

As a Jarl he is a member of the Vesten nobility, thus in medieval terms he would be classed as 'Those who Fight'. It would be up to a Thrall ('Those who Work')to actually do the brewing and the running of the business. The whole Vendel/Vesten divide stems from a complete rejection of the new 'Middle Class' by the Vesten and a wholehearted embrace by the Vendel.

Mark, I've been busy with work, but will try to get a further write-up done tonight, should I post it here or in the Backgrounds section?
Sigvald Andrikson

Postby Sister Sonya » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:09 pm

I hear what you are saying. You can RP the foreign noble in Castille and have fun with it.

However, each player can decide how his character deals with the ongoing vicissitudes of life. My own character was born into the Castillian nobility, grew up as spoiled and precocious as might be, was dealt many setbacks, had two careers in the Army, both her mother's and father's families are outlawed in Castille (per the Castille Sourcebook), the Inquisition is interested in the Invisible College, etc.etc.

It all depends upon what you want to do in the Campaign.
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Sigvald Andrikson wrote:Mark, I've been busy with work, but will try to get a further write-up done tonight, should I post it here or in the Backgrounds section?

No problems, if you would, post the whole thing in the backgrounds section, that way I can easily cut and paste it into the supersecret GMs section where I shall commence my highly suspect and morally reprehensible experimentation upon it ;)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Background - Sigvald Andrikson

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:03 am

Decided it'd just be easier to move the whole thing over here, no need for cut and paste.

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Return to Backgrounds