Countdown to Gen Con 2011

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Countdown to Gen Con 2011

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 24, 2011 3:48 pm

I know we are still gearing up for Origins, but GC isn't far behind, and is quietly sneaking up on those of us who are going to both. As of today we have 71 days until The Best 4 Days of Gaming!

So, I'd love to hear from those of you I'll be seeing at GC. Which ones/what days did you sign up for? You planning to come to my Legend of The Beauty adventures (Beauty-ful Dreamers and Beauty-ful Treasures) on Tues before GC?

There's also talk of having me run the Crimson Valor adventure, CV 07: Rex Castillium (which I wrote) around 9pm. The game will happen but the question is, will I or another of the CV GMs be running it?

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Countdown to Gen Con

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue May 24, 2011 4:24 pm

I'm signed up at GenCon for HoA #2 at 2PM Friday- that's the only slot I had could attend of the four at Origins/GenCon; am available to playtest HoA #4 at Origins anytime after 5PM Thursday.

I won't be getting to GenCon until Wednesday, so I'll be missing the Beauty Adventures.

I have yet to play one of the CV07 versions, but am not sure which. I can find out and may be able to play in it.
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Tue May 24, 2011 4:39 pm

actually you are 28 days away from the best 4 days of gaming. you are 71 days away from the crowded, overhyped masses wishing they were as cool as Columbus.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Sister Sonya wrote:I have yet to play one of the CV07 versions, but am not sure which. I can find out and may be able to play in it.

They want me to run the one on Tues night, sorry SS.

salamanca wrote:actually you are 28 days away from the best 4 days of gaming. you are 71 days away from the crowded, overhyped masses wishing they were as cool as Columbus.

Well I was counting Origins as "The Best 5 Days of Gaming" and allowing GC to keep its usual title.

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue May 24, 2011 5:40 pm

The CV07 on Wednesday is sold out anyway.
Sister Sonya

Re: Countdown to Gen Con 2011

Postby salamanca » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:14 pm

Well, the bar is set. Good luck to those of you at Indy trying to be more memorable. If you are trying to come up with a unique character for this campaign (and I think everyone should be) I would not be making a Vesten if I were you. (those guys are everywhere, they might outnumber the montaigne army)
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Supposedly:

Gen Con has signed a five-year extension with the Indianapolis Convention & Visitors Association (ICVA) for 2011-2015. Below are the upcoming show dates.
• August 4-7, 2011
• August 16-19, 2012
• August 15-18, 2013
• August 14-17, 2014
• July 30 - August 2, 2015

So, it would seem that Origins didn't/doesn't have to move- if GenCon was used as the reason.
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm still convinced they moved for the convenience of the columbus conv. Center. I will also state that they will discover they want to move back into mid/late june after next year.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:52 pm

Many of us will come to Origins on the earlier dates anyway, but I agree that the earlier dates are a mistake.
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:05 am

Sounds to me like Origins staff used the shotgun approach to excuses. Come up with as many as possible and hope that one of them sticks (rather than the truth, cause that would make sense).

But onto more important things, GenCon. 34 Days 14 hours as of this post!

Since I made all the preparations for Origins, everything should already be ready for GenCon (though with the addition of an off-the-books adventure, I might have to make a few more copies).

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:14 pm

For those playing: I recommend a quick trip to the office supply store for the following items. A dry erase marker, 2 clear sheet protectors (1 for character sheet the second to store XP sheets), a business card sheet page (also clear plastic), a folder to keep it all in. This stuff is all SOP for me now. It's tons easier to keep game notes in dry erase (particularly damage) than scrap paper.
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:23 pm

Hey Mark - when we got home, there were only two tickets left for the Friday 2:00 game, so I let Adam & Nicci have them. (I'm hoping to squeeze in with generics....) And as of this moment, you are all sold out. :D

I did look at the CV adventures, but the only ones open state that you must have played in CV01 or CV03 (none of which have seats available). Kara - how strictly do they adhere to that rule?
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:53 pm

CaitlinCallahan wrote:Hey Mark - when we got home, there were only two tickets left for the Friday 2:00 game, so I let Adam & Nicci have them. (I'm hoping to squeeze in with generics....) And as of this moment, you are all sold out. :D

coolness!
CaitlinCallahan wrote:I did look at the CV adventures, but the only ones open state that you must have played in CV01 or CV03 (none of which have seats available). Kara - how strictly do they adhere to that rule?

Used to be they'd make exceptions oncein a while but recently not so much...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:18 pm

Well, since you played.adventure 1 with us, you only need adv. 2 and Mark set the number at 6 to plan for a couple generic holders so I think you are safe. (your fall back option is wait for Origins 2012 and play it when I run part 1 and 2). As for the CV, I would think you could generic in on that too. I would play 3 given the choice. (i am also pretty sure I would have needed to replay one of those if anybody other than Kara had killed my old character). Be warned, they will then fret you don't have enough stats to keep up in the newest events because you don't have 20 game sessions of XP. They are wrong. The new adventure is not that nasty as long as you have half the group playing established characters it will go fine.
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:55 pm

salamanca wrote:Well, since you played.adventure 1 with us, you only need adv. 2 and Mark set the number at 6 to plan for a couple generic holders so I think you are safe. (your fall back option is wait for Origins 2012 and play it when I run part 1 and 2). As for the CV, I would think you could generic in on that too. I would play 3 given the choice. (i am also pretty sure I would have needed to replay one of those if anybody other than Kara had killed my old character). Be warned, they will then fret you don't have enough stats to keep up in the newest events because you don't have 20 game sessions of XP. They are wrong. The new adventure is not that nasty as long as you have half the group playing established characters it will go fine.

I actually played 2 on Thursday afternoon at Origins, though I might have to play them yet again if you're running them, Dave. 8-) I'll see what I can do about using generics for CV03.

Thanks!
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Klcp » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:58 am

CaitlinCallahan wrote:I did look at the CV adventures, but the only ones open state that you must have played in CV01 or CV03 (none of which have seats available). Kara - how strictly do they adhere to that rule?

Very strictly. As Sal said, we used to let it slide, however, the new modules leave no wiggle room or time for new players to create their characters and we don't want people bringing in premade characters from home because it takes up time for us to go through and audit them to beside that they're made correctly (CV has some special creation rules). Once you have played either 1 or 3 though, you're welcome to play any of the other ones however you may feel sort of left in the dust in the newest modules because of that experience difference. Some characters have as much as 50 modules worth of XP behind them. Those that played in Song of the Sea will have even more.

So in short: if you come in with a ticket but without having played one of our character creation modules we will have to turn you away. We're also working on a new character creation system which will make new characters not so sucky. (To be discussed this Sunday afternoon)

And Mark, that reminds me. Would you be able to Skype in later after your Shadowrun game for a bit?
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby Klcp » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:01 am

Also, I forgot to mention:

All our modules are scheduled to run wih six people but, we'll run with up to eight so for CV1 and 3 if you come early with generics you should have no problem getting in. If I'm running it, depending on how intimidated I feel that particular morning, I may run with more if a lot or people want to get in.
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby salamanca » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:11 pm

No reason to be intimidated by Deb at your table, she is a peach. It's the people she brings alonhg that will get you. In all seriousness, I wrote those gane guides for a reason with CV staff in mind. Read the guide, call me with questions and follow through on your prep and there is nothing for you to worry about.
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:32 pm

Klcp wrote:Also, I forgot to mention:

All our modules are scheduled to run wih six people but, we'll run with up to eight so for CV1 and 3 if you come early with generics you should have no problem getting in. If I'm running it, depending on how intimidated I feel that particular morning, I may run with more if a lot or people want to get in.

So, based on Sal's recommendation, I'd like to try to get into 3. When are you running it? (And, based on the previous discussion, I'm assuming I'll be making a character at the table?)
CaitlinCallahan

Postby salamanca » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:42 pm

Plan ahead on that and stat is out before game with itemization on all costs paid. (for example 56 points spent on traits + 12 points spent on skills + 15 points spent on advantages [itemized helps here] + 4 points on languages - 10 points for a Hubris + 12 points on advanced Knacks [itemized] + 11 points on basic knacks. I tend to do it on a scrap sheet and it just makes it faster for the GM to approve you get through the rest of the players and get started.
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:37 am

Except for the fact that there is an hour and a half of the module specifically set aside for charrie creation and, actually, it's easier for me to calculate and watch as we go along than to audit it afterwards. You can do what you want but I don't know if not having the stats written on a character sheet counts as creating it beforehand or not. Honestly, if a player comes with all the calculations already done, I'll look at it, see a bunch of numbers and words and go...well, I hope they did it right...
Only problem is that I'll get yelled at for that sooooooo.....just make it easier on me and make it at the table.
Klcp

Postby Klcp » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:38 am

Although, having an idea of what you want to make is great! -thumbs up-

Sorry, I'm just kind of crazy like that.
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:38 am

salamanca wrote:For those playing: I recommend a quick trip to the office supply store for the following items. A dry erase marker, 2 clear sheet protectors (1 for character sheet the second to store XP sheets), a business card sheet page (also clear plastic), a folder to keep it all in. This stuff is all SOP for me now. It's tons easier to keep game notes in dry erase (particularly damage) than scrap paper.

QFT

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Less than a month to go before Gen Con folks. I'll be running Episodes 1 & 2 Thurs (9am, 2pm) and Fri (9am, 2pm).

In addition, since I had such a great turnout at Origins for my unoffical Sunday morning game (and since I have nothing scheduled on Sunday at Gen Con) I might just run an unofficial game on Sunday at GenCon too. That is, if I can find enough interest in playing and enough players who missed out during the regularly scheduled games.

In addition, I am running Beauty-ful Dreamers on Wed 1-5 at the Ram. This isn't part of Heroes of Altamira, but it's a rollicking good time!

I've cancelled (well not really because it was never on the offical signups) Beauty-ful Treasures (the sequel) which was supposed to be 5-9 at Union Station because I'm not sure whether I will need to run CV 07 on Wed 9-1am. If that turns out to not be necessary, I'll offer a pickup game of Beauty-ful Treasures in the open gaming area of Union Station. (I'll let everyone here know once I have final confirmation).

Way psyched (even with the 18 hour bus ride I have to endure).

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:03 pm

9pm to 1 am? That is manly GM time there. next thing you know you will be thinking midnight is a great start time for a game.
salamanca

Next

Return to Events