Countdown to Origins 2020

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Countdown to Origins 2020

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:45 pm

Ok after I recover from dealing with Origins' new event submission system (which had some good, some infuriating). I'll tell you more about it. In the meantime, here's our event list.

Wed (17th):
1-5 HoA: Flashback - Eps 1-3 M
1-5 HoA: Episode 15 – Black Sheep K
7-11 HoA: Episode 17 – One More Favor K
7-11 HoA: Episode 19 – Rising Tensions M

Thurs (18th):
9-1 HoA: Episode 18 – Finessing the Queen K
1-5 HoA: Episode 20 – The Keystone M
1-5 HoA: Flashback - Eps 4-6 K
5+ HoA: PLAYTEST

Fri (19th):
9-1 HoA: Episode 16 – Fall from Grace D
9-1 HoA: Episode 17 – One More Favor M
1-5 HoA: Episode 18 – Finessing the Queen D
1-5 HoA: Episode 19 – Rising Tensions M
1-5 HoA: Flashback 7-9 S
7-11 HoA: Episode 19 – Rising Tensions D
7-11 HoA: Episode 20 – The Keystone M

Sat (20th):
9-1 HoA: Episode 20 – The Keystone M
9-1 HoA: Flashback 10-12 K
1-5 HoA: Personal Agendas – 2 Tables M&D
7-11 HoA: Personal Agendas – 2 Tables M&K

Sun (21st):
10-2 HoA: DOMINGO GIGANTE! M&K

GM's for the event are the last letter.
M - Mark
K - Ken
D - Dave
S - Stephen (though I probably should ask him if he'd still like to run a game).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Countdown to Origins 2020

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:34 pm

Attention Everyone!
There has been a change to our regularly scheduled events.

Dave will not be running Ep. 16 at 9am on Friday. Instead, he will be running the following:

Title: Count Floyd Presents: Monster Chiller Horror Theater

Description: AHWOOOO! and Welcome to Monster Chiller Horror Theater! Tonight's showing of Dr. Tongue's 3D House of Stewardesses has been postponed to bring you this - special - presentation...

Game System: It Came from the Late, Late, Show

TIme: 9am-1pm Friday

Space is limited so get your tickets early!
Oh and in case you're wondering the event number is 1365
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:16 pm

Time to dust off either Lance Jasper or Virginia St. Ursula again!
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:08 am

Ok, Katie. This was mostly because you asked for it, so...

Am i running a Space Opera, a teen slasher, or a supernatural monster run amok movie here?

Mixing is allowed.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:02 am

Is Origins screwing us?

Email received RE: Badge registration opens at 1pm ET
on Monday, January 13!

Club Badge Discounts
We are happy to offer a 30% discount on Full Show badges to Origins Game Fair 2020 to gaming clubs who meet the three requirements outlined below:
Have at least 15 members.
Schedule monthly gaming meet-ups.
Actively look to expand their membership and thereby the hobby gaming community.
If you feel your club meets all three of these points, you are welcome to complete this form and request discount codes for up to 100 of your members.

1. Can I buy a badge before receiving the club discount code?
If a club member purchases a badge before receiving the club discount code, they forfeit the 30% club discount. We strongly advise you to wait until receiving your club discount before registering your badge. To check on the status of your club’s application, please email events@gama.org.

comment: unlike past years. Will we again have to wait to pick events?

Etc. etc...
Sister Sonya

Postby Lady Grace » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:05 am

salamanca wrote:Ok, Katie. This was mostly because you asked for it, so...

Am i running a Space Opera, a teen slasher, or a supernatural monster run amok movie here?

Mixing is allowed.

Yes, yes you are...
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:27 am

Just remember, you asked for it.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:10 pm

Sister Sonya wrote:Is Origins screwing us?

I really think, by now, the answer to this should be obvious.

Sister Sonya wrote:Will we again have to wait to pick events?

if you want the discount, yes. And unlike previous years where I would email them on various folks behalf to beg them for the discount, it seems this year they pre-empted my attempts by saying if you buy early, you forfeit the discount.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:39 am

Does Origins HAVE to offer you a discount at all?

NOPE. Take what you are offered and appreciate they do that much for you. It is not cheap to lease that much space, cover security costs, and operate everything for 5 days (even with volunteer staff)

Rates have been held relatively low compared to other entertainment options over the last 25 years.

Most clubs are also expected to have members cover some significant volunteer time at Origins as well. Mark, Ken and I absorb that by running more events than required. You all have one of the easiest paths to a discount.

Not getting to sign up the first second available is hardly the worst trauma in the universe. (The GMs got their codes about 2 weeks before they closed registration last year...guess how many slots were open then?)
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:58 am

salamanca wrote:Rates have been held relatively low compared to other entertainment options over the last 25 years.

Not getting to sign up the first second available is hardly the worst trauma in the universe. (The GMs got their codes about 2 weeks before they closed registration last year...guess how many slots were open then?)

Rather GenCon led the rise in prices, and then other Cons saw that they could charge gamers more- and so now are doing so.

Well, I have been able to find events in these last years, but you are right about there being fewer slots open. What I don't like is the cynical view that if we delay, delay, delay, we don't have to offer so many club discounts. Why not just eliminate them and be upfront about it!?
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:49 pm

You all are NOT going to believe this. I just checked my email and Origins sent us our GROUP BADGE registration stuff. (I'll pause here while you fetch your fainting couch). So here's the email and info you need.

Paul McGraw wrote:Thank you for your interest in Origins Game Fair! Your application for a club discount code has been approved. The code below can be used for a 30% discount on a Full Show Badge (no other badge type). The code is case sensitive and will be applied on the payment page of the registration process. You can reference a full walkthrough on badge registration here: https://www.originsgamefair.com/news/origins-2020-registration-walkthrough

Code: OGF20GSM

Your club code will have as many uses as individuals on your club roster at the time of submitting, up to a max of 100. Each person using this coupon code will need to create their own account. This prevents the code from being used by non-members.

You may update your club roster at any point before the cutoff date of May 13, 2020. To do so, email your full roster with changes to events@gama.org.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please email events@gama.org or call the office at 614-255-4500.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:08 pm

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:19 pm

Lady Grace wrote:GAMA weighs in finally

https://www.originsgamefair.com/news/st ... -fair-2020

Beat me by just a few minutes!
TL/DR: they’re on for now but will make a final decision May 1

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Origins Game Fair Postponed to October;
Origins Online Scheduled for June

COLUMBUS, OH – April 9, 2020 – The Game Manufacturers Association (GAMA), the non-profit organization serving the hobby games industry, today announced that it will postpone the 46th Annual Origins Game Fair, originally scheduled for June 17-21, 2020 at the Greater Columbus Convention Center, to October 7-11, 2020. The tabletop convention attracts more than 20,000 attendees from around the world to central Ohio to play thousands of board games, collectible card games, miniatures and role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons, Magic: The Gathering, Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Catan, and hundreds of other titles.

The decision to postpone the convention follows extensive discussions with its membership, the city of Columbus, the Greater Columbus Convention Center, hotel partners, and exhibitors. “The decision to postpone the convention was not one we made lightly,” said GAMA Executive Director, John Stacy. “The safety and well-being of the Origins community is our number one priority. Given the current health situation, we believe that it is best to move the convention to October.”
With the postponement, GAMA also announced that they would be hosting an online gaming convention during the original show weekend, June 19-21, 2020.

Origins Online 2020 will be a fully virtual convention for tabletop gaming fans to enjoy from their devices and will feature an Exhibit Hall where attendees can demo and buy games and merchandise. In addition, the virtual convention will offer streaming workshops and educational seminars with guest authors, artists and game designers, plus hundreds of games online that attendees can sign up to participating in.

“We are all in this together. The postponement of the in-person event and introduction of Origins Online is an opportunity for the hobby games industry and broader gaming community to get excited together and come back stronger on the other side of this pandemic,” Stacy continued.

https://www.originsgamefair.com/news/or ... duled-june

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:36 pm

Alright so preliminarily, our plan is to run an abbreviated listing. Either 1-shots I've written over the years or just Flashback. That way we're still in for the con, and folks remember our name but we don't force any of our GMs to be on the hook to come.

The bonus will be we'll have a lot more time to just hang out...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:05 am

And gang up on some unsuspecting GM who doesn't know us (and Ed Rollins over at Matinee)
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun May 03, 2020 6:24 pm

So, just heard from a Columbus local (who is interested in this kind of thing, no dig intended on Sam, Alexandra, or John) who told me there's an Ohio State game scheduled on the same weekend as the new Origins. So yay, more people crowded together.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon May 04, 2020 5:08 pm

yep, vs. Iowa.

But that is still not the crowd of Origins + Pride Weekend + Country Music Festival at Nationwide Arena.

Strange but a football game with 96,000 fans is not that big of a deal in comparison. (but yeah, still crowded assuming any of this happens)
salamanca

Postby MacShidhe » Tue May 05, 2020 6:08 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:So, just heard from a Columbus local (who is interested in this kind of thing, no dig intended on Sam, Alexandra, or John) who told me there's an Ohio State game scheduled on the same weekend as the new Origins. So yay, more people crowded together.

We may not be interested but we are aware of it and know how to avoid game traffic. The football crowd will mainly be near the University.
- Get to the convention center as early as possible.
- If you're coming in from the north, avoid 315. I-71 is generally less busy during home games.
- There will be a lot of COTA buses on High Street but they will be crowded and stopping at every stop.
- Don't wear anything that would identify you as a University of Michigan or University of Iowa fan.
- If anyone asks, Woody Hayes is the greatest football coach ever and John Cooper is the devil.
MacShidhe

Postby salamanca » Tue May 05, 2020 10:52 am

Do NOT under any circumstances pack anything that is Navy Blue or Yellow to wear.

Not socks, hoodies, face masks, nothing.

Black clothing is ok. Black and yellow is VERY Bad.

But Blue and Yellow will get you in a world of hurt.
salamanca

Postby MacShidhe » Wed May 06, 2020 6:36 am

salamanca wrote:Do NOT under any circumstances pack anything that is Navy Blue or Yellow to wear.

Not socks, hoodies, face masks, nothing.

Black clothing is ok. Black and yellow is VERY Bad.

But Blue and Yellow will get you in a world of hurt.

I had one drunk almost come after me for wearing a Naval Academy sweat shirt.
MacShidhe

Postby salamanca » Wed May 06, 2020 9:43 am

Yeah...

I may stir the pot andnwear nothing but University of Akron gear. Because unnecessary conflict is just sooo much fun. (For those not paying attention, that is sarcasm.)
salamanca

Postby daundelyon » Fri May 08, 2020 8:44 am

I enjoy going out in a sweatshirt that's red and grey and has Miami blazed across it. People get so very confused.
"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat May 09, 2020 1:15 pm

I grew up on the west coast, specifically the pacific northwest. So there wasn't ever any real "sports fans." Oh sure there were the Seattle Seahawks (for football) and the Portland Trailblazers (for basketball) but by and large no one really talked about them.

It wasn't until I moved to Texas that I learned about the crazed, rabid sportsball fan...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon May 11, 2020 7:45 am

There are football rivalries and then there are college football rivalries. And then there are THE college football rivalries.

Alabama vs. Auburn

Texas vs. Oklahoma

Ohio State vs. Michigan

You are obligated to take a side or the loyalists cannot figure out how to interact with you.
salamanca

Next

Return to Events