Countdown to Origins 2021 (MAYBE)

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Re: Countdown to Origins 2021 (MAYBE)

Postby salamanca » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:48 pm

Yeah, if i run events this year, people are just gonna get killed.

Might even kill their characters while i am at it.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby cpugs » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:25 pm

The O'Bannon 2.0???
cpugs

Postby cpugs » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:38 pm

It looks like Matinee Adventures may be missing this years Origins. I know it's just a select number of events on the preview but after the Guild it is the group I most look forward to playing with.
cpugs

Postby salamanca » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:59 pm

Me too.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:33 pm

So, going through the events list, we're again taking the lion's share of 7th Sea (and all the 1st ed, of course). But I am not seeing a whole lot of variety. I expected it to go down because of *gestures madly at everything around* but this seems a bit scarce even with that in mind...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:27 pm

cpugs wrote:It looks like Matinee Adventures may be missing this years Origins. I know it's just a select number of events on the preview but after the Guild it is the group I most look forward to playing with.

Is Matinee Games the same as Matinee Adventures? If so, they will be there. Apparently, when their submission was made, rather than listing the organization and the individual GMs, they listed all of them under the name of the guy who submitted them (Mike Mistele).
CaitlinCallahan

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:31 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:So, going through the events list, we're again taking the lion's share of 7th Sea (and all the 1st ed, of course). But I am not seeing a whole lot of variety. I expected it to go down because of *gestures madly at everything around* but this seems a bit scarce even with that in mind...

I'm hoping that it will be beefed up a bit by the time registration actually opens (at least, that's kind of what was implied with the way Origins posted the list).

I think I found two non-7th Sea sessions that I may be interested in. I'm planning on having some generics on hand, in case we need filler at any of the 7th Sea tables (since I've played all the episodes already).
CaitlinCallahan

Postby salamanca » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:31 pm

Deb, if they are offering events for games like Hollow Earth Expedition, Avatar the last airbender, delta green, 7th sea, and witch hunter, it is probably the same crew.

If it is all for one or two systems not on that list, it is probaboy someone else.
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:01 pm

Just got confirmation that it is Matinee Adventures (my friend Chris misspoke when she called it Games). Apparently, Origins mistakenly entered Mike's name instead of MA and the individual GM names. They've requested that it be fixed, but who knows when Origins will actually make the correction.
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:09 am

If someone has a free slot and is looking for a game to try, I recommend Fellowship of the White Star by Thenodrin Games. https://thenodringames.com/

The game began with 1919, in 2019, and it is now 1921 (in 2021). The game system is a lot like Shadowrun in that the characters are generally rolling 8 sided dice (or 4, 6, 10, or 12), looking for rolls of 5 or more for successes, using Attributes + Skills. It is set just after World War One, with 99% of what happened in that war applicable to the setting and to the characters, but it also has Magic and the Supernatural.

To me, character creation is quite the challenge. One has to make a multitude of decisions and value judgments within the framework, but one can choose the kinds of abilities and a history that one might want to play to have fun.

There are three "open library" Origins games at Thu-Sat at 7PM, to choose a game from 1919 or 1920.
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:44 pm

NOTE: This REALLY sucks that I have to post this.

I've been watching the number of COVID cases/deaths per day go steadily up for the past two weeks (with no end in sight, heck even the most conservative models where everyone wears masks still show it going up), so I have decided to bow out of Origins this year.

I hate the thought of missing you all for ANOTHER year, but Origins doesn't have a mask guarantee policy, and what they do have is vague enough that I just can't risk it.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:53 pm

Totally fair decision and probably the correct one. Safety measures out here are pretty much, you are on your own and i have had exactly one customer wearing a mask in the last two weeks.

Did Origins set a refund/cancellation policy?
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:11 am

Well, I'm just going to rip the bandage off.

I'm staying home too. The exposure risk is probably in bounds for me but not the people i would be bringing anything home near.

With any luck, we will get past the omega variant before the next one.

Already miss you all.

-Sal
salamanca

Postby cpugs » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:23 pm

Completely understood. I am still planning on going for now, but I will keep my eye on the Ohio/Columbus numbers for Covid.
cpugs

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:41 pm

salamanca wrote:Totally fair decision and probably the correct one. Safety measures out here are pretty much, you are on your own and i have had exactly one customer wearing a mask in the last two weeks.

Did Origins set a refund/cancellation policy?

Refunds are available until 9/9/2021, less a $10 processing fee (since we are now past August 9). That being said, you can cancel and roll over your purchase towards Origins 2022 and get credit for the full amount. The rollover option is available until 9/23/2021 (and is the only option after 9/9/2021).

It's looking like I'm not going to be attending, either - mostly for the same reasons as Mark. And I am completely bummed that I won't be seeing you guys till next summer.....

:cry:
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:10 pm

We've made the decision not to go either this year. We still don't feel safe.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:09 am

Crap, I'm giving Charlie back the lead in our consecutive Origins streak.

This will be my first miss since '96.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:48 am

So, we each must make the decision that we feel is right for us.

As the COVID virus is like the Flu virus, that we each might likely face "'boosters" every year should come as no surprise. As I've had a Flu shot since the '50s and never had the Flu, I have every confidence in those shots. I believe I am lucky to be one which Pfizer and Moderna will protect until this fall, even vs. Delta. I believe the room in which most of my games will be played will have a low person density, allowing reasonable spacing. I'll figure out the safest means for eating.

However, if Mu proves to be a game changer by October, I may have to reconsider.
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:01 pm

I hope you get to go and have a great time. If my medical history and responsibilities were different, I would be right there with you...about 6 feet apart.

I very much want all of you at a table with me...well, maybe sequential tables, there are a bunch of us...sooner rather than later.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:50 pm

For those still attending:

The city of Columbus has now issued a masi mandate for ALL INDOOR PUBLIC AREAS.

YOU WILL HAVE TO BE MASKED AT THE CONVENTION regardless of where you are. Dealer room, hallways, game table, etc.

That will also include restaurants except while eating.

Pack your masks, folks.
salamanca

Postby cpugs » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:30 pm

Registered for events. Two things of note:

1) A person can now buy as many tickets to a game as there are available. So an individual can buy the table out if they are pre-registering early enough. I voiced strong opposition to that because can see it misused horribly.

2) Had an event in my cart sold out even though I had registered for it prior to checkout. Rude...

3) And yet a new preregistration software system.

4) RPG's seem to be on the first floor of the Hyatt down the hall from the food court.
cpugs

Postby salamanca » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:53 pm

1- terrible idea. Charlie buys all the tickets, gm gets one player, Charlie cashes the others back in 20 minutes before event. And if it's my event, we don't even play it and i get in the con with gm credits.

2-i have seen that happen, event slots are not claimed until checkout. Someone beat you to that part. I had it happen with Covid vaccines this spring.

3- well... it was broke, maybe this one will work out. Don't i say that every year?

4- convenient with 3 bathroom options within 100 yards. East end, small and mostly unknown. West end, large but more known next to elevator and out in concourse next to the comic shop, avoid if you can. Rooms are bit smaller and louder though.
salamanca

Postby cpugs » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:14 am

1) Bigger problem. You don't have to buy a badge to the con, have friends get your event tickets and play. Wait till it hits Origins in the pocket book.

2) The con advertised that once it was in your basket it was yours. Shame on them.
cpugs

Postby salamanca » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:26 am

Yeah, i saw that possibility with mass booking too.

Yeah, if it says, you are locked on when it's in the basket, that should be it. Want to bet issue 1 caused issue 2?

I really miss the old days of mail in a request list with 3 alternatives and we will send you back a list of what you are playing. It added some random to ky con and sent me to games i was less interested in buy ended up really enjoying.
salamanca

Postby zareaus » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:11 am

Finished finalizing stuff for me to attend. (Hotel, Badge, Time-off, etc.)

Haven't gotten event tickets yet, though with a couple of my other events not in attendance I'll likely hit a good number of games. (Plan to have my events planned out in the next couple days.)
zareaus

PreviousNext

Return to Events