Countdown to Gen Con 2012

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Countdown to Gen Con 2012

Postby Sister Sonya » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:47 am

Mark: The event proposals for Gen Con 2012 have to be sent in sometime in January 2012. For those of us who may be GMing a non GoSM event, and absolutely do not wish to miss out on a specific GoSM event, when do you anticipate that your proposed list will be posted? Thanks!
Sister Sonya

Re: Countdown to Gen Con 2012

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:52 am

I'll have it all ready before the first day of Event Registration. But if you're looking for general ideas, it'll probably be similar to TC or Origins, one Character Creation event and one of the new events Thursday and Friday, both of the new events and the PA on Saturday, Domingo Gigante on Sunday. I might add in two more Character creation events on Sat if I can find someone to run them for me.

I think that'll ensure PA won't overlap with Dry Dock.

Mark

EDIT: checked my schedule for last year and I am correct, Dry Docks are Fridays so doing it on Sat avoids that whole problem.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Mark: The good news is that I believe that I can schedule my own stuff so as not to conflict with HoA, if your GenCon list is similar to the Origins list.
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Why don't I just send you the list before I put it in and you can take it from there.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:25 pm

For those of you heading to GenCon, some updates (cause GC actually lets people know BEFOREHAND when their important dates are).

Event Submission - Friday, Jan 13th beginning at noon eastern time

Badge Registration - Sunday, Jan 29th beginning at noon eastern time*.

Hotel Registration - Tuesday, Jan 31st beginning at noon eastern time.

Event Registration - Sunday, May 20th beginning at noon eastern time**.

*Just a note, you don't really have to race to get your badge. The only reason to get it early is if you plan on getting a hotel room close by (some folks go with others who go through the hassle). Even then, you just need to get your badge before Hotel Registration because your Badge receipt will give you the code to get into the housing block.

**While we've only had one full year under our belts here at HoA, I haven't seen any of our games fill up in the first couple of minutes, so you can save yourself some hassle. Now if you have to get into a Call of Cthulhu game, well, good luck to you.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:15 pm

Three days before I turn in my list of events for GenCon.

Which brings up a question for me. Like usual I'll be in town on Tues evening and I usually run things for the KFG (Kentucky Fried Gamers) and DGS (Dead Games Society) on Wed. I usually try to do one-shot kind of adventures (last year I did Beauty-ful Dreamers, a rollicking good Piratey-type Adventure, for 7th Sea of course).

This year I thought of a couple of options.

1. Do the sequel to Beauty-ful Dreamers (entitled Beauty-ful Treasures)
2. Do The Village of Fjulstedt (my All-Vesten Adventure)
3. Do Tangled Web (my All-Fate-Witch Adventure)

OR...

4. Run Episode 1 or 2 (or both) of Heroes of Altamira.

The former seem better to get people interested in 7th Sea in general (for example I've received a tremendous amount of positive feedback about Beauty-ful Dreamers). BUT I'm always up for drumming up more business for HoA, and 1 or 2 more Character Creation episodes is never a bad thing (and if worse comes to worse, I could always just hand everyone there one of the Completed Characters and have done with it. They could always make characters later if they wanted to continue the campaign).

So, what do you all think?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Oh forgot a schedule for Mike.

Wed:

EDIT
Running something 7th Sea early in the day, see above
Running 2 episodes of Kobolds Ate My Baby in the afternoon
(note signups for all these will be on the KFG section of the GenCon Forum boards (http://community.gencon.com/) sometime during/after the July 4th weekend. Check out the board for more details.)

Thurs:
9-1 (Running) HoA: Episode 1 - The Road to Altamira RPG1229326
2-6 (Running) HoA: Episode 3 - Gentleman's Wager RPG1229338

Fri:
9-1 (Running) HoA: Episode 4 - A Small Favor RPG1229340
2-6 (Running) HoA: Episode 2 - Fear and Surprise RPG1229332

Sat:
9-1 (Running) HoA: Episode 1 - The Road to Altamira RPG1229330
9-1 (Running) HoA: Episode 3 - Gentleman's Wager RPG1229339
2-6 (Running) HoA: Episode 2 - Fear and Surprise RPG1229334
2-6 (Running) HoA: Episode 4 - A Small Favor RPG1229343
7-11 (Running) HoA: Personal Agendas RPG1229345

Sun:
10-2 (Running) HoA: Domingo Gigante!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:27 am

Run something that is not HoA. It will keep your sessions fresher if you get to cleanse the palette a bit before you dive in.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Ok seems like I got everything in, but just after getting finished I saw they shut the whole thing down because of some glitch. Not sure if my stuff will remain...

EDIT: I also have an email out to Derek Guder (event coordinator for GC) asking about adding in DOMINGO GIGANTE!* We'll see how that goes.

*After having typed that twice today exactly the same way I hereby ask that all future references to our Sunday event be required to be in ALL CAPS.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:31 pm

Registration opens tomorrow Noon EST. You don't need to get your ticket immediately, but if you plan on getting a room, you should get it done before Tues, Noon EST (when Hotel Registration opens). When you register for the con, you get the secret code to get into the GenCon housing block on Tues. You'll need that to get a room.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Registered in 3 minutes (no surprise really, once they separated Con and Hotel Registration it became really easy to do the former, and no worse to do the latter).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:45 pm

NOTE I edited the times for events on Thurs and Fri, cause I registered them differently in the system.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:46 pm

Wow, that was THE BEST Hotel Reg for GenCon I've yet been through. 4 minutes total time and it now has an auto-reload function that refreshes the page for you (and every 30 seconds no less) so you don't have to keep hitting buttons. Got my first choice of hotels, and everything went completely smoothly. Color me Impressed.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Update: just over six months until GenCon!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:49 pm

Just under 5 months until GenCon!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Non Heroes of Altamira (but semi 7th Sea-ish news). At the Kentucky Fried Games on Wed before Gencon I will be running a couple of games. 2 episodes of Kobolds Ate My Baby (2 hours each) and the sequel to my Sea Dogs one-shot from last year, Beauty-ful Treasures.

All the events are free and you don't have to be a member of the KFG to play. Sign-ups go up on the KFG Gencon Forum July 4th Weekend. Hope to see you there!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:10 pm

Now you have to run the adventure using that fake over the top Australian accent Elaine uses in the dingos ate my baby episode of Seinfeld. Come on say, "challenge accepted!". You know you wan to.
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:23 pm

spizio wrote:Now you have to run the adventure using that fake over the top Australian accent Elaine uses in the dingos ate my baby episode of Seinfeld. Come on say, "challenge accepted!". You know you wan to.

I would, but I've never watched Seinfeld (in truth when it came out I saw previews and decided right then and there that I'd rather insert hot pokers through my eardrums and into my brain than listen to a bunch of whiners prattle on for half an hour a day (I got enough of that sitting with my clients, and I cared about them.))

Right now I'm thinking of sticking the PCs into Camelot right in the midst of a war between Modred and the Knights of the Round Table (with a conveniently placed village of tasty babies and orders to stay out from King Torg, all hail King Torg) But I don't know if that's silly enough yet...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:33 am

spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:58 am

I guess I just never 'got' Seinfeld.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:58 pm

You just need to get the accent.

I never really cared for the show either, but this was one of those lines that almost achieved a short lived meme status.
spizio

Postby CarlZog » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:52 pm

I would sign up for that game just to hear that!

In the meantime, I am eagerly looking forward to playing eps 3 &4 at GenCon.
CarlZog

Postby salamanca » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:31 pm

and yet, nobody can remember what the Seinfeld team stole that line from... (and rightly so, it was lousy)
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:52 am

Just a note that I edited/added to the list of events I am running for GC.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:18 am

CarlZog wrote:I would sign up for that game just to hear that!

In the meantime, I am eagerly looking forward to playing eps 3 &4 at GenCon.

CarlZog, good to see you back!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Next

Return to Events