Countdown to GenCon 2013

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Countdown to GenCon 2013

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:51 am

Can't believe I'm really saying this in December, but here are the upcoming important dates.

January 11th - Event Submission Opens
January 27th - Badge Pre-Registration Opens (at 12:00 est)
January 29th - Hotel Registration Opens (also at 12:00 est)

EDIT: I was over on the gencon forum boards and happened to notice that the list of Premere Event Groups is up, and guess what... The Guild of San Marcos is right there with the big boys!!!

(though I don't know for how long as it seems they're thinking of upping the requirements for membership and given our size, I don't know how many more events we can run).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Countdown to GenCon 2013

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 am

Got another date to add for you GC addicts.

May 19, 2013 - Event Registration Begins (at 12:00 est)
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Hey Mark,

I just checked with the last person I had to check with at work, reguarding taking a 3rd vacation, to go to Gen Con. So, guess I'll be traveling with you again this year. :D
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:15 pm

YAY! So now, do you have Tues (Jan 29th) off work? You'll need some time to get your hotel (if you want it close by) However, if you are alone, you'll have an easier time (single bed rooms don't go as fast as multi-bed rooms).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 pm

No, I work early shifts on Tuesdays, but things are getting a little changed around due to one of the girls personal life effecting stuff, so It may end up that I'll get tuesdays off instead of Fridays like I have now.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:21 pm

Two ways we can handle it. 1 you get the day off and do it yourself, 2 you give me permission to take care of your stuff and I get you a room too. (course you'd need to tell me how close/how much you want to spend).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:23 pm

We'll chat about it next Sunday, when I come over. Got plenty of time yet to figure it out.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Okey dokey

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 pm

and remember that i come up from the south side of indy every day of the con, if you need a ride.
kenderleech

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:54 am

Event Submission begins today at noon (I'll have our stuff all in before 12:30, cause, you know, I hate being late). I'll post our events (and hopefully event numbers) once I get it all in.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:20 am

I didn't mention this here, but I should say, The Guild of San Marcos is a Premere Group this year! (early placement of events, better descriptions, pics, etc., and we have a chance to add a little blurb in the actual events book).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Everything's all in, and if all goes right, here's our schedule...

Thurs (15th):
9-1 (Ken) HoA: Episode 1 – The Road to Altamira
2-6 (Me) HoA: Episode 3 – Gentleman’s Wager
7-11 (Me) HoA: Episode 5 – Evil Intent

Fri (16th):
9-1 (Me) HoA: Episode 6 – The Balance of Profit
2-6 (Ken) HoA: Episode 4 – A Small Favor
7-11 (Ken) HoA: Episode 2 – Fear and Surprise

Sat (17th):
9-1 (Ken) HoA: Episode 3 – Gentleman’s Wager
9-1 (Me) HoA: Episode 5 – Evil Intent
2-6 (Ken) HoA: Episode 4 – A Small Favor
2-6 (Me) HoA: Episode 6 – The Balance of Profit
7-11 (Ken) HoA: Personal Agendas
7-11 (Me) HoA: Personal Agendas

Sun (18th):
10-2 (Me) HoA: DOMINGO GIGANTE!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:35 am

Event Registration is tomorrow at Noon EST. I will not be getting my badge then as I'm waiting to hear back from GC about badge allocation (maybe they'll give us two free badges right away as opposed to being reimbursed later). My plan is to wait to hear back until early tues (I'm betting I'll hear way before then) and if I don't, then I'll buy a ticket and get reimbursed (so I can get a hotel room).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:29 pm

still waiting on word about my badge allocation, so no ticket yet...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:58 pm

Ok bought my ticket today when I still hadn't heard anything half an hour before hotel reg. Then at HR, got worried when the page wouldn't reload and when it finally did (5 minutes later) I was put on the waiting list. But fortunately that reloads itself and soon I was all through the system (I worry about it every year and every year it's never a problem since I always get a room by myself and those are the last to go.)

I'll be at the Fairfield again this year but since I come in on Tues I'm going to specifically request a room nowhere near the elevators or the front of the building. I can live with the hamster trail to get to our room (which btw, will be the same one as last year, apparently Premere Groups are allowed to make requests like that) for the $40/night discount from the JW's per night price.

Laura is coming over soon to get her room (boy I hope they're still available).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:09 pm

We are all set. Mark was able to get a room for me. :D
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:21 am

For future reference, they don't process Badge Allocation until the games go live (in May this year) so I should always buy a ticket then get my room. But as long as they process the Badge Allocation early (before June), I get my refund and everything's hunky dory.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:42 pm

Another notation for the future, apparently there were 'too many' Premier Groups this year so they are thinking of upping the requirements. Right now the criteria for membership is

Turn in Tickets for at least 80% of Events

Groups must maintain a minimum of 80% rate of ticket return (i.e. 8 out of 10 events must have some kind of ticket data).

70% of Actual Attendance vs. Submitted Maximum Number of Players

A group's total actual attendance (based on tickets turned in) must be at least 70% of the total maximum number of players, as submitted with the group's events.

At Least 60 Total Players

Groups must run events for a total of at least 60 players.

Discretionary Criteria

In addition, groups that are eligible for the program as a result of their tickets must still maintain a good working relationship with Gen Con. Specifically, groups must still submit in their events and badge/hotel requests on time (and accurately). We reserve the right to refuse inclusion of a group for any reason, including too many errors during event submission, late requests, excessive complaints, or other significant problems and obstacles.

If we maxed out every session, we could turn in 104 tickets. So as long as they don't do something like double the minimum Total Players we can still play with the big boys

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:27 pm

Yea.. if they do that, we would need at least 3 full time GMs
kenderleech

Major Conundrum

Postby cpugs » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Well, it seems my streak of making all Origins is coming to an end. My oldest daughter is graduating from 8th grade on June 13th. With family and friends coming, I would not be available to go to Orins until that Sunday.

So, should I go to Gen Con? As a precaution, ZI have pre registered to get a badge. Hotels are the next problem.....

Or, should I just take a year off???? Nah......
cpugs

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:10 pm

You know, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Oh I know I go both places and will see you regardless, but there's something wrong, you're supposed to be at Origins, laidback easy going Origins. Not hustle-bustle GenCon

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:26 pm

buh, buh, buh,... wha?

Since it is your incredibly awesome child, I'll allow it but only because the wife and kids have been awesome about sharing you up until now.

Well who the hell is gonna back all my stupid plays now? Steve just jumps in with both feet equally fast and Jeremy is usually a step left of center (and may not be there too) and Mike already played his sessions and John's character scares me and Kara never gets what I'm about to do and Mark is running the session...

Expect to get a phone call from at least one table.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:41 am

And coincidentally (to my Origins post) just over 5 months until GenCon! (and it looks like I'm going to have a full car as I now have Laura, Megan, and Eric to accompany me.)

EDIT: I am SO sorry I totally forgot Charlie! So we're gonna have a full boat for our big trip this year!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:08 pm

Coolness I just have to share. As part of the GenCon Premere group, GoSM gets a small blurb in the events book to promote our site and our games. And as a bonus, it's free (which is a price I can afford!)

So, here's our blurb (lemme know what you think of it)

Swashbuckling! Intrigue! Adventure! FUN! The Guild of San Marcos is dedicated to bringing you all the best and delivering stories you help create. Our adventures use the 7th Sea RPG, it’s easy to learn and designed to emulate the over-the-top heroics you expect from Pirates of the Caribbean, The Three Musketeers, and The Mask of Zorro!

2013 is Year 3 of our first Living Campaign, The Heroes of Altamira. But don’t let that worry you. We’ll still be running all the previous years’ events along with the premieres of our latest two adventures, Evil Intent, and The Balance of Profit.

We recommend beginning with The Road to Altamira or Fear and Surprise, our character-creation adventures. But, we’re very accommodating, so if you show up with a ticket, you’re playing! Remember, 7th Sea is easy to learn, even if you’ve never played before, we’ll have you swinging from the chandeliers in no time!

If you’re looking for more individual attention, look no farther than Personal Agendas. This sandbox adventure has no set plot so you decide what your Hero does (deal with a problem you encountered during one of the adventures, fight a duel, learn some gossip, or whatever you can imagine).

And if you miss any adventures, remember DOMINGO GIGANTE!, our end-of-the-con adventure gives you one final chance to play any currently released event.

Want to know more? Check out our website, http://www.guildofsanmarcos.net for details. Or keep up with our latest doings on Facebook at The Guild of San Marcos.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:07 am

Looks good! :D
Rebecca Iavelli

Next

Return to Events