Origins LARP 2014

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Origins LARP 2014

Postby Sister Sonya » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:49 am

I believe the Origins LARP should have enough unique and specfic details related to it warrant a topic of its own.

Sal and Becky(?) could rephrase their posts from the Origins 2014 Topic.

If not, this new topic may be deleted ...
Sister Sonya

Re: Origins LARP 2014

Postby salamanca » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:44 pm

you got questions: ask them. I shall answer.

Post your stats in the heroes section if you want to play that character in the LARP.
I will NOT convert characters on site. it's time consuming and a hassle to tie you into the plotlines on site.

If you don't have a character because you have not played yet, make one and post it and we shall go from there.

If you don't have one and are not sold on getting into a living campaign... I will have many pregen characters that will need played.

Stats will be locked prior to the start of OGC next winter. so Con on the cob is your last shot to gain xp and apply it.

There will be XP earned. potential backgrounds to be uncovered or created, and stuff that ties into the overall plot. I would expect some of those pregens will be NPCs some of you may have met already.

No weapons, no boffers, no stabbing each other for real. It's a more social style game.

again, questions welcome.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Ok posting this here both as a bump for those interested in the LARP to start asking questions (which I will then politely bow out for as Dave expertly answers them all)

AND I also wanted to say, if you hadn't figured it out by now anyway, from this point on none of your xp earned will count toward your LARP character sheet (in other words, no Year 4 xp).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Mon May 19, 2014 1:24 pm

Right, with the LARP looming, I could use some advice.

I have the general idea of what my outfit will look like for Annie. Mind you, I'm not actually 6'0, nor am I built like Beth Phoenix, but we have the suspension of disbelief here.

Where I falter is my head/hair. My hair is not long enough to pull back in a ponytail or braid by any stretch of the imagination. Wigs are pricy and a pain in the buttocks to take care of. As a Swordswoman, I see Annie dressing in utilitarian fashion anyway, but I think she'd be practical enough to try to keep her hair out of her face. And she sees herself proudly as Vendel, not Vesten.

So, any advice on what I should look for in terms of hats or headbands for her (within reasonable prices) either beforehand or at the dealer's room before Friday night that would fit the 7th Sea style AND what her character is like?
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon May 19, 2014 1:45 pm

I have a long fake brown wig I can bring along if you want to try to do something with it.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Lady Grace » Mon May 19, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks for the offer, Laura, but I need to decline. Annie's a blonde. :)

ETA: Barrettes are also an option. Sadly, the one that I might have considered using which I've had since high school broke. It had a really cool dragon's head on it (key word now being had)... :(
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby smafdi » Mon May 19, 2014 3:46 pm

Reading daves post about no weapons saddens me :( but at least i'll have a hat to wear, maybe i can scrounge up a cape of sorts beforehand too. but since i'm pretty lazy it'll probably be alejandro in a t-shirt, jeans and awesome hat
smafdi

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon May 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Go check out your local Salvation Army store, Savers, or Goodwill to see what you can find. Sometimes you can hit the jackpot regarding poofy shirts, and occasionally costumes.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Sister Sonya » Mon May 19, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm looking for what's generically called a senorita wig for myself. They were about $15 awhile back.
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Mon May 19, 2014 11:55 pm

Yeah, no weapons is going to be something I am adamant about. (save for one prop I am bringing and reserving the right to remove at any moment). I've seen too many people try to larp after extensive bar time to trust you all with sharp, pointy or heavy stuff. I would recommend skipping the go buy a hat as a vesten and thinking about a scarf tied over your hair.
salamanca

Postby smafdi » Tue May 20, 2014 9:04 am

but...but.... my swords are the foam kind and i could... peace bond them or something >.>

i totally understand though, especially since the larp is friday night
smafdi

Postby Lady Grace » Tue May 20, 2014 10:08 am

Muffin doesn't count as a sharp object, right? :twisted:

Lady Grace

Postby Lady Grace » Tue May 20, 2014 10:53 am

Also, Sal, from what you're saying, you think a Vendel would wear a hat. Got it. 8-)

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Tue May 20, 2014 4:02 pm

a vendel would wear one of those floppy over-sized soft berets. or one of those short brimmed hats with the high crown. (think riding hat)
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Tue May 20, 2014 6:39 pm

salamanca wrote:a vendel would wear one of those floppy over-sized soft berets. or one of those short brimmed hats with the high crown. (think riding hat)

Something like this for the latter? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capotain

(Which, I am not seeing for sale on Google... :? )

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Tue May 20, 2014 6:50 pm

yeah, something like that. generally known in the dealer circles as a "tall hat".
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Wed May 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Muffin/Tudor-esque hat purchased! (As opposed to a hat purchased for Muffin)

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Thu May 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Ok, now I want to commission some foolish tailor to make Muffin a litttle Rembrandt era dutch costume with a high ruffle collar and a tall hat.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Fri May 23, 2014 10:17 am

Well, the hat arrived and looks great. I just have to figure out how to place it properly on my head. Or not. It's not like Annie HAS the Fashion knack.

And now, belts.

Yeah, there's nothing like cold reality slapping you in the face when you find out some of the belts you own that could have worked don't really fit you any more... :oops:

Lady Grace

Postby smafdi » Fri May 23, 2014 11:27 am

OOHHHHHH i didn't even think of the fact that i'm going to be wearing my belt anyways, i could look for a very alejandro style belt buckle <3<3<3
i do love the fact that i bought a real hand made belt with changable buckle :D
smafdi

Postby salamanca » Fri May 23, 2014 8:14 pm

The one benfit of a mispent middle age at the renn faire is that I know I don't need to go grab anything new for this. And remember, you are going to have a character sheet and some small beads (about the size of a mini d10) in a small ziploc bag to carry so make sure you have a pocket or pouch so you can keep your hands free to shake an angry fist at Santino, Mark or me.
salamanca

Postby ZombieTonyBlair » Sat May 24, 2014 9:45 pm

So how exactly will this larp work? Are generics fine, or should I make sure to have an actual ticket? How detailed costuming? I've been vaguely looking into a matador costume for Don Gallo, but of what I've found online is either too expensive and also poorly made, or well-made and way way way too expensive.
ZombieTonyBlair

Postby salamanca » Sun May 25, 2014 12:13 am

It will work exactly like this:. Grab a ticket, I do not forsee a sell out. (and Mark and I will sleep better seeing more tickets purchased). If you have an aversion to getting regular tickets, generics will be fine. COSTUMING IS OPTIONAL. We love it but I know first hand how much it costs (the boots I bought a decade ago for 300 are now over 500). If you don't have the budget, time or desire to costume just show up in your street clothes, we will have more fun with you than without you. If you have played a session with us at Origins (or any other con and I know you attend Origins) I have a converted version of your character written with plots personalized for you. (there are other characters for non campaign players if you have friends). This is about getting as many of you together as we can so you can interact and build an in character community. It's a minimalist mechanic to keep stuff light and simple. (and it's in Rapier's edge if you want to read the rules). Each player will be involved in the main plot, a couple secondary plots, a couple subplots and each HOA character has a personal thing as well (many involving a contest with another player you probably know or someone I think you should meet). See you in a couple weeks.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sun May 25, 2014 3:12 pm

salamanca wrote:Ok, now I want to commission some foolish tailor to make Muffin a little Rembrandt era dutch costume with a high ruffle collar and a tall hat.

Yeah, Muffin has "issues" withe the last tailor he saw...

Lady Grace

Postby Lady Grace » Wed May 28, 2014 11:28 am

BTW Dave, if you need Muffin for MegaParanoia he's available for that as well.

Lady Grace

Next

Return to Events