My Character: Sebastian Llorente de Borges del Castillo

The repository for all things "Heroes of Altamira." Post your character, discuss their latest adventures, talk to some of the Secret Societies (if you can find them).

My Character: Sebastian Llorente de Borges del Castillo

Postby groovy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:54 pm

I'm going to play my first game at Origins, so I thought I'd post my character on-line to see if it all checked out, although I don't know how to do the dot thingie.

Sebastian Llorente de Borges EDITED VERSION
Castillian

Arcana: Trusting [-10] Total -10

Brawn - 3 [16]
Finesse - 3 [8]
Wits - 3 [16]
Resolve - 3 [16]
Panache - 3 [16] Total 72

Advantages:
Castillian Education [10]
R/W/S Thean [0]
R/W/S Castillian [1]
University [2]
Faith [5]
Miracle Worker [5]
Toughness [5]
Soldano Blade [6] Total 34

Skills and Knacks:
Acrobat [1]
Balance 3 [2]
Footwork 1 [0] Total 3

Courtier [1]
Dancing 1 [0]
Etiquette 2 [1]
Fashion 1 [0]
Oratory 2 [1]
Diplomacy 2 [2]
Gossip 1 [1]
Politics 1 [1]
Scheming 1 [1] Total 8

Doctor [1]
Diagnosis 2 [1]
First Aid 1 [0]
Quack 1 [0]
Examiner 2 [2]
Surgery 2 [2] Total 6

Scholar [1]
History 1 [0]
Math 1 [0]
Philosophy 1 [0]
Research 1 [0]
Law 1 [1]
Theology 1 [1] Total 3

Streetwise [1]
Socializing 1 [0]
Street Navigation 1 [0] Total 1

Fencing [2]
Attack 3 [2]
Parry 3 [2] Total 6

Pugilism [2]
Attack 2 [1]
Footwork 2 [1]
Jab 1 [0] Total 4

Rider [2]
Ride 1 [0] Total 2

-10 + 72 + 34 + 3 + 8 + 6 + 3 + 1 + 6 + 4 + 2 = 129

Sebastian is the only son of Rodrigo Borges, a worldly veteran of the War of the Cross, and Maria Llorente, a devout Vaticine. While Sebastian learned swordplay and other physical skills from his father, his belief system came from his mother. Although Rodrigo was not ashamed of his military service, he had higher hopes for Sebastian, and saved his pension so that his son could study medicine. Rodrigo would have preferred the University of San Cristobal, but Sebastian and his mother insisted on La Ciencia University in Vaticine City.

A few months ago, Sebastian received a letter from his father informing him that the family is bankrupt, and continuing his studies would not be possible after the current semester. His father evaded all attempts to explain the situation when Sebastian wrote back, and he believes something suspicious is going on. At the close of the semester, rather than stay in Vaticine City as a failed medical student, Sebastian returned to his native Soldana; not home, but to Altamira, where he hopes to find an opportunity that will ease his family's situation.

Sebastian is a polite person who gives everyone the benefit of the doubt and would rather resolve problems with words than with steel, although his father's training means he can fight when he needs to. A devout Vaticine, he does not think anybody is beyond redemption, and he has found that his faith in the Prophets has never let him down. He thinks his current situation is just a test, and while it may become more difficult, he will try his utmost not to despair.

That seem solid enough for the campaign?
Last edited by groovy on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
groovy

Re: My Character: Sebastian Llorente de Borges del Castillo

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:12 am

Ok let's take this from the top. First off, your numbers are RIGHT ON! That never happens. Congrats. Now, all you need to do is add the xp bonus you get from the retired events

1-6 x 4xp per adventure is 24 more exp to personalize your character. Remember, Traits cost 5x the next pip (so taking a Trait from a 3 to a 4 costs 20xp). New skills will cost you 10XP. Knacks cost 2x the next pip (so taking a Knack from a 3 to a 4 costs 8XP). All Advanced Knacks now cost the same as Basic ones.

Next some things I see that you won't necessarily want to change, but that I would be remiss if I didn't mention. First, you put 2 points into First Aid. Normally you'd be right on the money, First Aid sounds real useful. Turns out in this game, it's not. It helps return Flesh Wounds to a character in mid fight. It's not useful after the fight because once the fight is done, the Flesh Wounds just go away. Surgery is the skill that's more useful (though it takes a long time to perform).

Second, you went light on the knacks for Athletics (so everything is at 1 pip) Those are, primarily, your defensive skills (yes you did take Parry (Fencing) 3 and that will help when you have a weapon in hand, but not against guns and not when it isn't drawn). That means most of the time your TN (Target Number) to be hit will be 10. Might consider upping them (especially Footwork).

Third, along with the Athletics, you don't have the Knack, Balance. You can get it from most ship-based skills (oh and Acrobat). It's the base skill you'll use as your defense when you aren't on solid footing. So you might consider getting that (and if the reason you didn't take it is because even though you're aware of it, it doesn't fit the character then I tip my hat to you good sir!)

Last you've got a fun little story (which is more than most do for the campaign) If you'd like to explore more about what might have happened with your family, you might consider taking a Background.

It all looks great, see you in just a few days!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:18 pm

Outside of those defense knacks mentioned, it looks solid. That would be a great use for the 24 XP.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby groovy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:41 am

I thought the 2 ranks of Footwork from Pugilism stack with the 1 from Athletics to give me 3 (and an unarmed TN of 20) as per "Combining Knacks" on p.120 of the rule book. If not, I would probably ditch Athletics all the way and just put the 3rd rank in Pugilism.

I was not initially planning on giving Sebastian any Balance skill, as he had no background being on the seas, but I suppose his father would have taught him the importance of sure footing in combat, so while he wouldn't be an "acrobat" per se, he have training in Balance and Footwork.

So getting rid of Athletics (2 points back)
Adding Acrobat (1 point because of University) and raising Balance to 2 (1 point) would even things out, and I'd still have a Footwork of 3 (2 from Pugilism, 1 from Acrobat).

Thanks for the advice on First Aid, I could take the point back and spend it on Balance to get it to 3.

Another Castilian veteran of the War of the Cross, who was passed over for a promotion in favor of Sebastian's father, vowed to ruin the Borges' family in the future, and he is finally making good on the promise; that is the cause of the Borges bankruptcy. Sebastian doesn't know this yet, and if Sebastian starts making a name for himself in Altamira, the man may start focusing his attentions on him. So it's a potential Background for the future.

I swore I read it somewhere here once, but what's our starting equipment and wealth? I don't have any way to currently make money, so I know I'm poor.

I'm not sure how much of the extra XP I want to spend. It feels kinda cheesy getting it for free, and I also might get lucky on Sunday and be able to play one of the retired events. On the other hand, even though it would be an Advantage and normally not buyable, could I use XP in the future to join a Guild?
groovy

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:19 am

The athletics stack. Mark it at rank 3. ( and never take my advice when I am on my 15th consecutive 11+ hour workday)
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:13 am

groovy wrote:I swore I read it somewhere here once, but what's our starting equipment and wealth? I don't have any way to currently make money, so I know I'm poor.

Each of the templates has a listing of clothing, just assume you have clothes, a weapon, and 10G starting money (none of which is really important, unless you like keeping track of those kind of things).

groovy wrote:I'm not sure how much of the extra XP I want to spend. It feels kinda cheesy getting it for free, and I also might get lucky on Sunday and be able to play one of the retired events. On the other hand, even though it would be an Advantage and normally not buyable, could I use XP in the future to join a Guild?

The xp for retired events isn't as much as the players got (they got around 6xp per session), it's just a boost to keep you competitive. We aren't stats crazy around here but I think it's more fun to be about where everyone else is. You can still play the retired events (and if you do, you'll get the rest of the xp and all the other bonuses, money, contacts, reputation, earned backgrounds).

Once you start the campaign you don't have to pay anything to join a guild. Just earn their interest and ask about membership...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Return to The "Heroes" of Altamira