Jan's Character: Crendel Montaigne

The repository for all things "Heroes of Altamira." Post your character, discuss their latest adventures, talk to some of the Secret Societies (if you can find them).

Jan's Character: Crendel Montaigne

Postby ExploratorVimes » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:30 am

I Spent my early years in University and Dueling School in Montaigne, where I learned Valroux and other basic pursuits. Then when it seemed that I was not bound to inherit anything of note, so I set off for Academy in Eisen.

Upon arrival in Eisen I took to martial schooling and drilling. Learning a bit of boxing on the side was important, when you spend your off time mouthing off to Eisen nobles who may or may not own a Panzerhand.

After my studies concluded in Eisen, I left to see the world, I made my way to Ussura to see what the land had to offer. My initial sea voyage on the Untergangsheld was rather disastrous, and I found myself shipwrecked rather oddly on what should have been a mundane river transit from Eisen into Ussura. After rescue and recuperation, I spent some time in Ussura, where I learned something that has paid incredible dividends in my life, the ability to drink.

After concluding my, “studies,” in Ussura, I pressed on to Vendel. Here, I continued to meet with ship based disaster, and found myself at the mercies of another wreck, this time on an Icebreaker named Matushka Navarin. After managing to make it to a dinghy and land in Vendel, I took up with a merchant collective. Here I learned to talk, and talk, and talk some more. The need to haggle and debate was rather crucial to my time there.

Feeling I had learned what I could from the Vendel, and see no reason to learn to live without proper sanitation in Vesten, I pressed on to Avalon. I was hesitant to make such a journey, as my previous excursions had proven rather unpleasant, but hoping that all bad luck was behind me, I boarded my vessel. Here is where I learned two things about sailing, I am not personally cursed, but that I am apparently cursed to travel with someone who is.

It was on this journey on the Svärdet, where I noticed an Eisen woman who was part of the crew that looked familiar. It wasn’t until after my third disaster at sea, and drying out safely in Avalon, that I learned of her penchant for ill luck on the high seas.

Hoping to put as much distance between us as possible, I joined an acting troupe that traveled the Glamour Isles and immersed myself in a study of history and song. Avalon was one of the most relaxed times that I had ever had, quiet travel, putting on performances, occasionally grifting people who weren’t part of the traveling show. It was all in good fun, and was when I felt I might finally find a place to settle down.

Though, this was not meant to be, as the troupe broke up eventually over some internecine political squabble between individuals from different nations within the Isles. This gave me time to head to another country, I found passage on a less than reputable Sloop named the Flower of Innismore, bound for the mainland, to let me take passage to Vodacce. Unfortunately, my own people’s pirate hunters found and apprehended the vessel, my background giving me leeway to make my way to Vodacce.

In Vodacce, I studied the finer points of politics, fashion, and other courtly ways. This world was more cut throat than Vendel Merchants, and deadlier than a drunk Eisen with a Panzerhand, but I adapted, and thrived as much as a non-native could learn to. Though, after having certain political individuals run afoul of Vodacce politics, I felt the all of travel once more. This time, making certain of my safety, I booked passage on a Montaigne vessel to Castille. My heart stopped though, as we were out to sea, when I saw her. It was too late to turn back, and I was at the mercies of the fates again. Fate, it seems, is not kind. The ship, crew, and cargo was all lost. And until recently, I thought her as well, but when I made my way to Altamira, I would swear I saw her.

All I know is that, I am here to learn what this land can teach me, and to stay as dry as possible. I have no interest finding passage on the seas again, either with or without her on a ship.
ExploratorVimes

Re: Jan's Character: Crendel Montaigne

Postby ExploratorVimes » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:42 am

Crendel Montaigne
Montaigne Dilettante Template

Brawn: 2
Finesse: 4
Wits: 4
Resolve: 2
Panache: 4

Interest
Explorer's Society: 1
Invisible College:
Knights of the Rose and Cross: 3
Los Vagos: 4

Contacts:
Professsor Eduardo Villalobos de Inez y Lobianco (Ally) (Favor x2)
Eladio (Informant)
Teresa (Confidant)
Alcalde (Favor)
Carlito Benitez (Hates)
River Snake (Connection) (Minor Favor)
Alfonzo Cortez de Cordoba (Confidante) (Favor)
Jenario (Informant) (Favor)
Captain Carmella Marquez de Nunez (Confidant) (Favor)
Augustin Alvarez (Favor)

Backgrounds:
Pressed Into Service (Help the people who were relying on the Miguels)
Vow (Fix the Churh)
Nickolaus Worner (Completed 1st, Sham wedding)
Help Child, Orphan of Gatter ( )

Cards:
A Little Help from My Friends
It can't be that Hard
Leaps and Bounds
You've got Lying Eyes
You killed my Mother, Prepare to Die!
I can hear you breathing
You Dance Divinely!

Advantages:
University, Academy, Able Drinker, Noble, Swordsman's Guild, Left Handed, Debater

Arcana: Inattentive

Languages: Montaigne (R/W/N), Castille

Swordsman School
Valroux: (Fencing Sword+Main Gauche)
Double Parry 3
Feint 4
Tagging 3
Exploit Weakness 2
Apprentice Ability: +5 to Active Defense with a Dagger or Main Gauche, Ignore Offhand penalty with Dagger or Main Gauche

Skills and Knacks:

Athlete
Climbing: 1
Footwork: 3
Sprinting: 1
Throwing: 1

Fencing
Attack (Fencing): 3
Parry (Fencing): 1

Knife
Attack (Knife): 1
Parry (Knife): 3

Firearms
Attack (Fireams): 1

Rider
Ride (Horses): 1

Courtier
Dancing: 3
Fashion: 3
Gossip: 1
Politics: 1
Sincerity: 2
Scheming: 1
Diplomacy: 1

Politician
Etiquette: 3
Socializing: 1
Oratory: 3

Bard
History: 2
Singing: 2

Pugilism
Attack (Pugilism): 1
Jab: 1

Acrobat
Balance: 1

Performer
Acting: 1

Equipment
Fencing Sword
Main-Gauche
Knife
Sword Fencing Ring Grip
War Horse
Last edited by ExploratorVimes on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ExploratorVimes

Postby salamanca » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:31 pm

that works.

But just a warning... i am already thinking you are personally cursed with sinking boats... no matter how small.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:27 pm

Are you Crendel from montaigne, or crendel OF montaigne?
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:05 pm

I suspect Crendel IS Montaigne. Nation personified and all that. (went to Ussura, then retreated. Talked politics in Voddacce with no change in things. Partied in Avalon. Traded in Vendel, hates the smelly Vesten... yep nation personified)

And you can feel free to ignore me, I'm just getting silly today.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby ExploratorVimes » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:51 pm

Honestly, I forgot to change the last name, so that's a strike against posting at 1am for my first time on the forum. I couldn't find a list of last names from the nation, so that was just a placeholder. Though, honestly. I kinda like salmanca's thought process.
ExploratorVimes

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:36 am

AS a Noble, it should be Crendel du Montaigne at least!
Sister Sonya

Return to The "Heroes" of Altamira