Portraits and pictures of HoA characters

The repository for all things "Heroes of Altamira." Post your character, discuss their latest adventures, talk to some of the Secret Societies (if you can find them).

Portraits and pictures of HoA characters

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:01 pm

Does anyone else look for pictures in magazines, ads, or wherever, for images of what they imagine their RP characters to look like?

Laura draws; but to my knowledge, no one else has spoken up to claim an Artist/Drawing skill!

I've never found one I thought looked anything like Trygve (from Crimson Valor), except, perhaps, for the one on the cover of the Vendel/Vesten Sourcebook. There aren't a lot of images like that around in ads...

But, I do have one for Sonya that I plan on laminating and hanging on my neck during HoA events. Hopefully, that will assist the GM and other players to refer to me as "she" and "Sonya", rather than "Mike".

And yes Dave, of course I could acquire a wig, dress in drag, and come to the table for HoA events. But perhaps I'll gain the confidence to do so when I lose another 50 pounds or so.

Mark might have something to say against that plan, though, because it might deter persons with Generic Tickets from sticking around to see if there are openings in HoA events.

I have spoken with a student at the School of the Art Institute, here, about the possibility of commissioning a "Sonya hat". It won't be ready for Origins 2011, though, darn it!

(And Mark, please place this topic in a different location if it should be posted elsewhere.)
Sister Sonya

Re: Portraits and pictures of HoA characters

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:39 pm

Illustrating characters isn't something I've done for 15 years. It's something I think about, the picture ends up in my head but I never get around to putting it on paper. (the Romeo is a doozy, it's a cross of manga style and frank miller leaping off a rooftop). But I just never get around to making the sketch.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Here's a link to Don Higgins' art. He's the artist who does all the headshots.

http://www.artwanted.com/artist.cfm?ArtID=5341
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Klcp » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:45 am

Actually yeah. I do that with all of my characters except I splice images from Deviantart and other random artsy websites and such. Also Google Images...but anyway I haven't found a "perfect" match for my 7th Sea charries (Sierra and Dona Elvira) yet, but I've got some pretty close ones:

This is pretty close to Sierra, actually. Except slightly less modest.

This is the closest I've gotten to finding something for Dona Elvira, although Elvira's hair would be much darker (Castillian, duh), almost black, and (unlike Sierra) would be much more modest.
Also she would have a Rose and Cross tabard. :P

See, if I could draw just a tad better, I'd totally draw them. I've actually comissioned a decent pic of Sierra from a friend of mine...but he decided to stop being an epic Anime artist and start being black. --__-- He was perfectly fine the way he was, why'd they have to go and make fun of him for not wearing a do-rag and speaking ebonics... -pissy-
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby Harliquinn » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:00 am

I tend to find artwork that is 'close' to my character and then I use photo editing to make it appear as I want. For instance, here is Aleksei. It used to be an orc, so I found a face I liked, did some coloring to make it more "Fhideli" in nature and less desert.

Aleksei-Fhideli-small.png
Aleksei
Aleksei-Fhideli-small.png (132.61 KiB) Viewed 31990 times
Harliquinn

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:53 pm

I totally forgot to add this. Not for this campaign but I did have Don Higgins draw Don Miguel for CV. Here he is
Attachments
DonMgl72[1].jpg
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Nicci actually found an image for Caitlin and Caralyn that I love (and cropped down as my avatar for these boards). I'd post the picture of the two of them, but it appears to be too large for viewing within the post, and I can't figure out how to insert the reduced jpeg.
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Klcp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Try uploading it somewhere else like Facebook and linking to it.
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:47 pm

Back to Mike's original question, I usually get my pics from either GIS for the kind of Headshot I'm looking for, or if I have an idea in mind, I will try using one of the millions of movie and TV characters that populate my brain. For example, for the crew of the Beauty, I used folks from Master and Commander, Robin Hood, My Name is Earl, A Knight's Tale, Last of the Mohicans, and Scaramouche.

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Klcp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:51 pm

So where did Billy come from?
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:53 pm

GIS

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Klcp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:55 pm

You with the acronyms! What is that?
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Google Internet Search

EDIT: Or in this case Google Image Search would work as well.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Klcp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:58 pm

Oooooohhhhhh...gotcha.
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Actually, speaking of Billy, the original art had legs which, by cannon, he should not have. So I spent a couple of hours VERY CAREFULLY removing them using Paint.NET. If you look real close you can see where the outline stops along his body.

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Klcp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:15 pm

Lol I'll have to see the picture of him again.
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:35 pm

Klcp wrote:Lol I'll have to see the picture of him again.

[threadjack]
You know I won't be running Beauty-ful Treasures right? I wasn't sure whether I would be doing CV07 or not so I cancelled it.
[/threadjack]

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Klcp » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:08 am

Yeah...and I'm mad at you for that. (I know, I know...you didn't schedule it. But I choose to be immature and blame you anyway. :P )
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:20 am

Well I am staying through till Monday. I might just run it Sunday after the con...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Klcp » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:02 pm

Looks like I might be driving myself after all...
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Another trapped in my web of moderately enjoyable adventures MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

BTW Mike, back on topic, just because the pic you want is not from the right genre, does not mean that it won't be useful. I kind of alluded to this earlier, but take a look at my pic of Abigail. Ok now look at the original. She's a character from My Name is Earl (Patty the Daytime Hooker). The original obviously doesn't work, but with Paint.NET I made it work.

EDIT: And just for fun I turned her into an oil sketch...
Attachments
Patty edited.jpg
Patty edited.jpg (17.1 KiB) Viewed 31919 times
Patty.jpg
Patty.jpg (6.3 KiB) Viewed 31919 times
Patty 3.jpg
Patty 3.jpg (40.99 KiB) Viewed 31901 times

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Kerrin McIntosh
Attachments
Kerrin.jpg
spizio

Postby Nutmeg_25 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:27 am

I may have to see about contacting Don Higgins to get one done! I can't draw all that well :D
http://nanowrimo.org/widget/MyMonth/megsong23.png
Nutmeg_25

Return to The "Heroes" of Altamira