Placecards

The repository for all things "Heroes of Altamira." Post your character, discuss their latest adventures, talk to some of the Secret Societies (if you can find them).

Placecards

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:29 am

At the Crimson Valor games, I have a placecard (tent-like with writing big enough for all the other players at the table to read) with my character's name and the symbol of the Rose and Cross (of which he is a member).

This makes it much easier for folks to remember names (some of us old fogies have a problem with this). The suggestion was made to recommend people do this, and I thought, hey, I have access to the symbols which will make your namecards even cooler, so here they are.

Have oodles of fun.

Mark

EDIT: I'm removing the symbols to put them in with other handouts for players in a stikied thread
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Placecards

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:31 am

To follow up Mark, for those of us who less than fully computer-literate, the nations' shields on pp. 50-62 are other possibilities, as are symbols for Archaeologists on p.11 of the GMG, and p.43 for the Castillian/Vaticine Army on p.43. There are the Runes in the PG on p.206-212 for the Vestens with Laerdom, various nautical symbols on 243/247, and a symbol for Vaticines/Priests on p.32 of the Castille sourcebook.

Unfortunately, there is no clear-cut symbol for the Inquisition, but I'm sure someone could suggest a way to isolate the Prophets Cross illustrated on p. 62 of Castille.
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:35 am

Sister Sonya wrote:Unfortunately, there is no clear-cut symbol for the Inquisition, but I'm sure someone could suggest a way to isolate the Prophets Cross illustrated on p. 62 of Castille.

If you put that on your placecard, expect the character to have a VERY short lifespan in HEROES of Altamira

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:47 am

Ah! But when you are RPing various NPCs, it would be interesting for you to have Placecards (or the like) for the Henchmen or Villains that are in the spotlight at the moment. You could put them in front of your GM screen. Floyd Wesel, for one, used this very effectively a while ago at GenCon.

And, you could play off these when various NPCs are introduced, whether it is for the first time, or when their true calling becomes apparent.
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:55 am

Well, I have headshots of nearly every single NPC you will encounter, along with reminders of who they are (or who they appear to be to the common person) on the website. I figured that'd be plenty of reminders. For those of you with the Character Interaction Sheet (which now that I think about it should be up here so that you all can download it), you can make your own notes about what you've learned (or think you've learned) about those you encounter...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:30 pm

Yeah, NPCs do not need nametags. I built the interaction sheet to add info beyond the name list that accumulates on the back of my name tent.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:54 pm

salamanca wrote:Yeah, NPCs do not need nametags.

I have seen them used effectively, and they might be useful to others.
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:59 pm

Let me clarify from my perspective. Down the line, I can see us having scenes involving 2-4 friendly NPCs and 2-4 antagonists simultaneously. (actually, a scene in adventure one contains a minimum of 4 NPCs). It is not going to be helpful to drag 4 namecards out at once. It is going to tip players when a GM is improvising off a player idea when a NPC does not have one. For players, it's totally a great idea. For NPCs, that is what notes are best for.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Return to The "Heroes" of Altamira