Ramzy's Character: Sterling Cutter

The repository for all things "Heroes of Altamira." Post your character, discuss their latest adventures, talk to some of the Secret Societies (if you can find them).

Ramzy's Character: Sterling Cutter

Postby Ramzy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:13 am

Name: Sterling Cutter
Player: Ramzy Post
Nationality: Avalon
Profession: Barber/Surgeon

Traits:
Brawn 2
Finesse 2
Wits 3
Resolve 3
Panache 3

Background:
Hubris: Loyal
Advantages: University (4) Civil skills 2=1 Barter (1) +5 haggle rolls Debater(1) +5 oratory rolls Showmanship (5) Work crowds Connections(3) 3 individuals that will walk through fire for you. Pattern Welded Steel Weapon (6) (Liston knife) Amputation knife +3 rolls
Languages Avalon, Castille, Montaigne, Vendel

Skills:
Doctor:
Diagnose 3 First aid 3 Dentist 1 Examiner 1 Quack 1 Surgeon 1 Veterinarian 1
Herbalist:
Cooking 1 Diagnose 3 First aid 3 Flora 1 Compounds 1 Poison 1 Quack 1
Performer:
Acting 1 Dance 1 Oratory 1 Singing 1 Memorizing 1 Prestidigitation 1 Shill 1

Defensive knacks: footwork passive 20

Martial Skills:
Dirty Fighting
Attack (Dirty Fighting) 1 Attack (Improvised Weapon) 1 Eye Gouge 1 Throw (Improvised Weapon) 1
Knife:
Attack (Knife) 1 Parry (Knife) 1
Pugilist:
Attack (Pugilism) 1 Footwork 3 Jab 1
Cloak:
Parry (Cloak) 1 Entangle (Cloak) 1

Weapons Pattern welded (Liston knife) Amputation knife +3 1k2

Boots plain, Pants Plain, Belt leather, Shirt Plain, Apron waxed cloth, Jacket Fancy Hat and Wig Fancy
Bandages 3, Blanket, Ink, Pen, Journal, Saw, Scissors, Soap, Splint set, Thread 10’, Tweezers, Razor, Whetstone, Knife amputation, Dice wooden, Mallet, Chisel, Mortar and pestle, Needles 3 sewing, Glass lenses, String 50’ (Sulfur Tar), Book Scholarly; The Navy Surgeon by John Atkins.

Sterling Cutter graduated 5 years ago. On his madden voyage out to sea a Vendel ship Attacked and the crew boarded there ship. Young Cutter was Press ganged in to service on the Vendel ship. Shortly after the Vendel ship was boarded by a Montaigne crew where young Cutter was Press ganged in to service on the Montaigne ship. Within two months and several battles he was once again Press ganged in to service on the Castille ship. This seems to be the standard every so often he would get forcibly assigned to a different ship of different countries. After five years of doing a rotating tour of duty and having been on 23 different vessels he finds himself standing on a dock with his last captors sailing away with their freshly Press ganged Surgeon. At this time he has been paid for services rendered and lots of experience in his craft. The only things holding him together are his work and study of his trade and the memories of his exploits with the acting band he toured with during the times he was ... (To be continued!)
Nemo me impune lacessit
Ramzy

Re: Well helo there, my that looks pain full. For a small fe

Postby salamanca » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:05 am

Well I noticed a couple things that may not fly but I have no books in front of me. First off is pattern welded weapons are in the crescent book (which mark has prohibited) and debater is in Rilasciare (also on the no use list.)
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Ramzy wrote:Sining x0000

I'm not sure where you are going with this, but I like it! :lol:
spizio

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:48 pm

I'll admit, at first glance with the way this was formatted, I thought we had seen the new evolution of spambots.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:28 am

Couple of things, 1 edited to make it more legible for me. 2 moved this to "Heroes" forum (and changed the name of the heading). 3 made a few spelling changes (and added Flora which was left out). And 4 - What I noticed.

Dave's right, no pattern welded weapons. Them's the works o' heritics and would certainly get you in trouble with certain ecleastical groups here in Altamira...

Debater is 2HP

Also if I'm reading it right you have 3 connections who would walk through fire for you? That's 3HP each (but without your pattern welded weapon, the points even out).

Points breakdown
Traits 56
Hubris -10
Advantages 21
Languages 5
Civil Skills 35
Martial Skills 19
Total 126

So you should have plenty for A background or two and maybe a few more skills (see below for a suggestion).

Points-wise, here are my mechanical suggestions. 1 - University has cost you points rather than saved them (it cost 4 but you only saved 3) so from a mechanics standpoint no reason to keep it (and you'll have an extra point!) and 2 - You know a lot of languages, but for a scholarly type you can't read/write any (1HP per language of which you have four, and 4 extra HP, hint hint).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Ramzy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:47 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:Couple of things, 1 edited to make it more legible for me. 2 moved this to "Heroes" forum (and changed the name of the heading). 3 made a few spelling changes (and added Flora which was left out). And 4 - What I noticed.

Dave's right, no pattern welded weapons. Them's the works o' heritics and would certainly get you in trouble with certain ecleastical groups here in Altamira...

Debater is 2HP

Also if I'm reading it right you have 3 connections who would walk through fire for you? That's 3HP each (but without your pattern welded weapon, the points even out).

Points breakdown
Traits 56
Hubris -10
Advantages 21
Languages 5
Civil Skills 35
Martial Skills 19
Total 126

So you should have plenty for A background or two and maybe a few more skills (see below for a suggestion).

Points-wise, here are my mechanical suggestions. 1 - University has cost you points rather than saved them (it cost 4 but you only saved 3) so from a mechanics standpoint no reason to keep it (and you'll have an extra point!) and 2 - You know a lot of languages, but for a scholarly type you can't read/write any (1HP per language of which you have four, and 4 extra HP, hint hint).

modifications in progress
Nemo me impune lacessit
Ramzy

Postby Ramzy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Ramzy wrote:
Black Jack Rackham wrote:Couple of things, 1 edited to make it more legible for me. 2 moved this to "Heroes" forum (and changed the name of the heading). 3 made a few spelling changes (and added Flora which was left out). And 4 - What I noticed.

Debater is 2HP

Points breakdown
Traits 56
Hubris -10
Advantages 21
Languages 5
Civil Skills 35
Martial Skills 19
Total 126

modifications in progress

What is starting cash ? I was told it id not as the book says.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Ramzy

Re: Ramzy's Character: Sterling Cutter

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Well, yes and no. If you have a profession (as defined by the PG p.122) you get 3x that as starting wealth (and that amount monthly to spend). If not (and it doesn't appear that you do have a profession*) you get 1d Guilders to start. So I don't have to worry about witnessing useless rolls (and really wasting time at the table with stuff we could do outside that) just assume you have 10 guilders** (though your monthly income will be 0).

*You certainly have the skills for it (Surgery, Veterinary, and Dentist Knacks all count). But to get monthly income from them you'd need to have the Merchant Guild Advantage (4HP).

**As I was re-reading your character sheet, it occurred to me that your list of gear will probably be significantly reduced during your first adventure, but by the end, you should have enough cash to take care of all of it. Just a note for me...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Keep in mind, this is a swashbuckling, cinematic adventure campaign. No GM running an event for this campaign is ever going to insist to see your sheet to confirm you have thread. (silk thread made from a 7 strand weave that is colored blue to match the eyes of a specific Queen, yes. That we will question). The mundane stuff and the stuff a person needs to minimally perform their knacks, we will go with the assumption you have it unless we have a reason and cause to take it away (when we jail you, for example)
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Ramzy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:26 pm

Name: Sterling Cutter, Player: Ramzy Post, Nationality: Avalon, Profession: Barber Surgeon, Traits: Brawn 2, Finesse 2, Wits 3, Resolve 3, Panache 3
Arcana: Hubris/Loyal
Background: Wanted 3, Treasure Map 2
Advantages: Barter, Showmanship, Work crowds, Connections 1(individual that will walk through fire for you), Twisted Blade (x3, 2K2)
Languages: Avalon (R/W), Castille (R/W), Montaigne (R/W), Vendel, Eisen
Civil
Doctor: Diagnose 3, First aid 3, Dentist 1, Examiner 1, Quack 3, Surgery 2, Veterinarian 2, Barber 2
Herbalist: Cooking 2, Diagnose 3, First aid 3, Compounds 2, Poison 2, Quack 3
Performer: Acting 2, Dance 2, Oratory 3, Singing 2, Animal Handling 1, Circus 1, Disguise 1, Juggling 1, Memorizing 2, Presentation 2, Shill 1
Sailor: Balance 2, Climbing 1, Knot Work 1, Rigging 1
Martial Skills
Dirty Fighting: Attack(Dirty Fighting) 2, Attack(Improvised Weapon) 2, Parry(Improvised Weapon) 1, Eye Gouge 2, Throat Strike 1, Throw(Improvised Weapon) 1, Kick 1
Knife: Attack(knife) 2, Parry(Knife) 2, Throw(Knife) 1
Pugilist: Attack(Pugilist) 2, Footwork 3, Jab 2, Ear Clap 1, Upper Cut 1
Cloak: Parry(Cloak) 2, Entangle(Cloak) 2
Firearms: Attack(Firearms) 2
Fencing: Attack(Fencing) 2, Parry(Fencing) 1
Weapons: (Liston knife) Amputation knife (2k2)
Boots plain, Pants Plain, Belt leather, Shirt Plain, Apron waxed cloth, Jacket Fancy Hat and Wig Fancy, Bandages 3, Blanket, Ink, Pen, Journal, Saw, Scissors, Soap, Splint set, Thread 10’, Tweezers, Razor, Whetstone, (Liston knife) Knife amputation, Dice wooden, Mallet, Chisel, Mortar and pestle, Needles 3(sewing), Glass lenses, String 50’, Sulfur Tar, Book Scholarly(The Navy Surgeon by John Atkins)

Sterling Cutter graduated 5 years ago. On his maiden voyage out to sea, a Vendel ship “La Mer Cannibale” attacked and her crew boarded the ship. Young Cutter was press-ganged into service on the Vendel ship. Shortly after the Vendel ship was boarded by a Montaigne crew where young Cutter was press-ganged into service on the Montaigne ship. After two months and several battles he was once again press-ganged into service on the Castille ship. This seemed to be the standard; every so often he would be forcibly assigned to a different ship of a different country. After five years of rotating tours of duty and having been on 23 different vessels he finds himself standing on a dock with his last captors sailing away with their freshly press-ganged Surgeon. At this time he has been paid for services rendered with lots of experience in his craft. The only things holding him together are his work, the study of his trade, and the memories of his exploits with the acting band he toured with during the times he was fighting with his father the year before being sent off to the university.
Backgound(treasure map): During his first press-ganging Young Cutter filched a map from Captain Gaspard de’ Medici Of the Vendel Ship “La Mer Cannibale”. This happened during the boarding and take over from the Montaigne ship “L'écureuil Volant”. During the fighting, Captain Noccolo Mayenne slashed the baldric from Gaspard de’ Medici chest. Cutter seized the baldric as he was being drug away by the crew of his newest captors.
Background(wanted): Wanted for aiding and abetting crews of enemy ships. The choice is given, serve or die. This is very plain and simple either; one helps his new captors or else be killed as one is otherwise of no use to the captain or crew. Most captives choose life over death, but this can be just a stay of execution from one’s own country. In helping the enemy, one is committing treason even if it is under duress. The only difference is that in a trial, one may be able to gain the favor of the court, if one has any value the court can use. Sterling was seen by many on different ships with various flags.

This should be better.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Ramzy

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Points breakdown
Traits 56
Hubris -10
Backgrounds: 5*
Advantages 15**
Languages 9
Civil Skills 88***
Martial Skills 61***
Total 215

Notes:
* you have 5 points of backgrounds, max starting is 4. And I would add, remember that you will be able to play through 1 background adventure per PA you attend. I write a number of adventures equal to 4xHP invested. Right now you're looking at 20 adventures (do-able if you intend to come to GenCon, Origins and TotalConfusion, but a bit over the top if you're just going to GC. Especially when you consider the campaign will only last 12 years AND there are earnable backgrounds in game.)

** Twisted blades are Vodacce only. You're limited to Sidhe Weapons (which don't do as well outside the Glamor Isles).

*** The reason your numbers shot way up like that was you took a lot of advanced knacks (3HP per point of each knack). If you pare those down, you should be able to get back down to 130HP (remember Advanced Knacks are bought with XP the same as Basic Knacks, so it's only during character creation that they are so much more expensive.)

Just a note about your backgrounds. Remember that you will be staying in Altamira so you might want to tie them into the city (I'm also guessing you meant for Gaspar de' Medici to be Vodacce not Vendel). I'd also like to see the unfinished part of each (i.e. what you'd like to accomplish with said backgrounds). For example, does the map give you any hints about what you might find? Is it just treasure or something else? Where does it send you? Any indication who has what you're trying to get?

And as for Wanted, Am I understanding that you are wanted in Avalon? If so, how are they going to enforce their will all the way down in Castille?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Return to The "Heroes" of Altamira