Jason's Character: Manfred von Richthofen

The repository for all things "Heroes of Altamira." Post your character, discuss their latest adventures, talk to some of the Secret Societies (if you can find them).

Jason's Character: Manfred von Richthofen

Postby Eyeheartawk » Wed May 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi all!

Due to the extended CV, let's say "difficulties" I'm finally able to catch up on Heroes of Altamira! Been meaning to do this for quite some time now. I decided to make a Noble Eisen Mercenary of the Poesen school. Being the third son of a relatively small house in Eisen nowadays isn't exactly a way to live a comfortable life. So, good old Manfred decided early on to pursue a trade, and what better trade for an Eisen than war? A profession that always seems to be in demand in Theah.

In game terms this character was quite the challenge, investing in a Swordsman School and buying full Dracheneisen ate up 60 Hero Points (and that's with the 5 point discount that Poesen gives you on Dracheneisen!) right off the winged mouse, but I tried to give him as many skills as I could afford really to try and add some depth to him. However, getting any good at the knacks I have, I'll jhave to do through XP since I simply didn't have the Hero Points to spare on non essential things. Built on 140 Hero Points exactly (including the Hubris).

Manfred Von Richthofen

Brawn - 3
Finesse - 3
Wits - 2
Resolve - 2
Panache - 3

Arcana: Righteous
Abilities and Advantages: Full Dracheneisen, Legendary Trait : Panache, Large, Left Handed. Speaks Eisen,Castilian.

Civil Skills

Riverboat Pilot
Balance - 1
Knotwork - 1
Rigging - 1
River Navigation - 1

Hunter
Stealth - 1
Tracking -1
Survival - 1

Streetwise
Socializing - 1
Strett Navigation - 1

Martial Skills

Swordsman School - Poesen - Mastery 1
Beat - 1
Charge -1
Lance - 1
Exploit Weakness -1

Ride
Ride - 1

Polearm
Attack - 3
Parry - 1

Athlete
Climbing - 1
Footwork - 2
Sprinting - 1
Throwing - 1

Manfred has brown hair and eyes and cuts a somewhat imposing figure at about 6'2, and is rarely seen without his armor, the tangible reminder of his origin. The dents and dings on his armor remind him of what is often necessary to accomplish your goals. He isn't necessarily opposed to do somewhat 'questionable' things if it serves the greater good. A somewhat grim outlook, sure, but then again, he comes from a grim
place.

EDIT: Removed Avalon, and Vendel as languages and one point from Footwork to make up the 3 point deficit.
Last edited by Eyeheartawk on Wed May 15, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is what happens when you mess with a stranger in the Alps.
Eyeheartawk

Re: Jason's Character: Manfred von Richthofen

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed May 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Heya Jason, Welcome!

Ok couple of things (some mechanical some personal preference).

1. Your name, can we shorten it to Dur Rote Baron? ;)
(truthfully call him whatever you want, it's your character. I just couldn't resist)

2. Numbers: by my math the numbers break down like this.
Traits: 56HP
Arcana: -10HP
Abilities and Advantages: (35+3+5+3+1+1+2) 50HP
(NOTE we don't play with accents, though you're welcome to have one, so we just use the regular prices for languages)
Civil Skills: (2+2+2) 6HP
Martial Skills: (25+2+2+2) 31HP
For a grand total of 133HP (the difference is in the language costs)

3.Lastly is a note about the Pösen school (as this isn't the first time its come up). You should note that I am not saying don't take this school, because you may wish to play with it's inherent weaknesses. However, I should point out that the school specifically mentions (Eisen, p. 90) that both Charge (Polearm) and Lance (Polearm) are mounted skills. So when denied your horse, you will be at a disadvantage against other swordschools. Now as I said this is simply a matter of preference, but I thought you should know.

4. Oh one last note, and just for my own curiousity. What pieces of Dracheneisen did you buy?
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed May 15, 2013 10:47 pm

Welcome aboard. Good to see a new body. (i think you will like it here). I am posting at 10:40 pm and just got home from work which started at 7 am today so I am not about to start looking at this character for design issues or point discrepencies. (i will double check it later this week). One thing you may want to consider is that next to nothing in the Posen school works when you are not mounted on a horse (it is a mounted cavalry type school after all). And that is a lot of situations we seem to include in our adventures.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Eyeheartawk » Wed May 15, 2013 11:19 pm

1. Yep! For whatever reason all of my Eisen characters always have some sort of aeronautical theme, my last character was Wolfgang von Hubschrauber :D

2. I was unaware of the accent thing, but this actually works in my favor, I'll be sure to up some of my knacks now with those extra Hero Points, or read/write a couple of them, thanks for this.

3. Yeah, I pretty much agree with you on this point. At Apprentice and Journeyman level the Pösen school isn't terribly impressive, but at Master Level it becomes pretty interesting. As I'm sure you've figured it out it's that very reason that I took Legendary Trait Panache. So, long term I think the benefits outweigh the general uselessness of its sworsdman knacks on foot, since I can use the Swordsman school benefits with the basic curriculum skills as well (ie Polearm-Attack).

4. Breastplate, Boot (2), Gauntlet (2), Leg guard (2).
Eyeheartawk

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed May 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Eyeheartawk wrote:2. I was unaware of the accent thing, but this actually works in my favor, I'll be sure to up some of my knacks now with those extra Hero Points, or read/write a couple of them, thanks for this.

Sorry wasn't clear enough the points total was 143 minus the 10 for the hubris putting you 3HP over.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Eyeheartawk » Wed May 15, 2013 11:26 pm

Ah!

I will lose three points then, no problem. Thanks for pointing it out.
Eyeheartawk

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed May 15, 2013 11:39 pm

Eyeheartawk wrote:3. ...I can use the Swordsman school benefits with the basic curriculum skills as well (ie Polearm-Attack).

Well, some you can. Apprentice mentions horseback once again, though Journeyman and Master don't.
One other note I should tell you, this campaign is time limited. We have a story to tell (that will take 24 adventures) and once we're done, so is your hero. So plan accordingly, you don't have infinite XP to play with.

Eyeheartawk wrote:4. Breastplate, Boot (2), Gauntlet (2), Leg guard (2).

Ok for some reason the numbers aren't working out correctly in my mind.
Breastplate 6DP
Boots (x2, because these can be purchased twice, which I assume you did from the quote above) 4DP
Gauntlet (you're only allowed one since the other is a Panzerhand) 2DP (though if you want two I don't see any reason not to allow it, was that what you were going for above?) so either 2 or 4DP
Leg Guards (x2 see Boots above) 4DP
So where did I go wrong?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Eyeheartawk » Wed May 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
Eyeheartawk wrote:4. Breastplate, Boot (2), Gauntlet (2), Leg guard (2).

Ok for some reason the numbers aren't working out correctly in my mind.
Breastplate 6DP
Boots (x2, because these can be purchased twice, which I assume you did from the quote above) 4DP
Gauntlet (you're only allowed one since the other is a Panzerhand) 2DP (though if you want two I don't see any reason not to allow it, was that what you were going for above?) so either 2 or 4DP
Leg Guards (x2 see Boots above) 4DP
So where did I go wrong?

Aren't boots 1DP a piece, not 2?

You're right on the Gauntlet point, I saw the two next to it in the Eisen book but it wasn't in parenthesis, so technically I can only have one. But if you are willing to let me have 2 gauntlets I'll take you up on it, since assuming the boots cost 1DP each would bring me exactly to 16.
Eyeheartawk

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed May 15, 2013 11:51 pm

Yup you are right. So Breastplate (6DP), 2 Boots (2DP), 2 Gauntlets (4DP), 2 Leg Guards (4DP). Works perfectly.
Looks like you're all set!

So onto another subject, Kenny mentioned to me your S.O. is also going to play and that she is new to 7th Sea. Is there going to be a character for her or are we just going to go with a premade?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Eyeheartawk » Wed May 15, 2013 11:57 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:Yup you are right. So Breastplate (6DP), 2 Boots (2DP), 2 Gauntlets (4DP), 2 Leg Guards (4DP). Works perfectly.
Looks like you're all set!

So onto another subject, Kenny mentioned to me your S.O. is also going to play and that she is new to 7th Sea. Is there going to be a character for her or are we just going to go with a premade?

Yeah, she made a MacDonalds Swordswoman. I'll ask her post her character as well. I want to double check, but since I think the languages were purchased out the chart in the Player's guide that one should be 130 HP exactly.
Eyeheartawk

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu May 16, 2013 12:00 am

Excellent. Shoot me an email with her login name after she's made an account (assuming she wants her own account) and I'll get her squared away.

Looking forward to this!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby mEh77 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:04 pm

I didn't see the background horse killer anywhere on here. Was that a clerical error?
mEh77

Postby spizio » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:53 pm

mEh77 wrote:I didn't see the background horse killer anywhere on here. Was that a clerical error?

Why are you bringing Theus into this?
spizio

Postby Eyeheartawk » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 pm

mEh77 wrote:I didn't see the background horse killer anywhere on here. Was that a clerical error?

We can't all have Knowledge: Carl Sagan after all, Kenny.
Eyeheartawk

Postby salamanca » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:24 pm

Kenny, it's not a good background when we have planned for it in every adventure and left at least 6 opportunities to succeed. That's just typical adventuring. Besides, my character doesn't own a horse so I am not even a little concerned about it. .
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Eyeheartawk » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:16 am

Updated character stats + interest gained.

Manfred Von Richthofen

Brawn - 3
Finesse - 3
Wits - 2
Resolve - 2
Panache - 3

Abilities and Advantages: Full Dracheneisen, Legendary Trait : Panache, Large, Left Handed. Speaks Eisen,Castilian.

Civil Skills

Riverboat Pilot
Balance - 1
Knotwork - 1
Rigging - 1
River Navigation - 1

Hunter
Stealth - 1
Tracking -1
Survival - 1

Streetwise
Socializing - 1
Strett Navigation - 1

Martial Skills

Beat - 3
Charge -3
Lance - 3
Exploit Weakness -3

Ride
Ride - 1

Polearm
Attack - 3
Parry - 1

Athlete
Climbing - 1
Footwork - 2
Sprinting - 1
Throwing - 1

Interest:

Explorer's Society- 1
Invisible College- 2
Knights of Rose and Cross- 0
Los Vagos- 4
Inquisition- 1
Eyeheartawk

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:55 am

Jason,
A suggestion. Might want to add in the list of cards you've earned, along with the backgrounds to keep it complete.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Eyeheartawk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:19 pm

Part Deux:

Manfred Von Richthofen

Brawn - 3
Finesse - 3
Wits - 2
Resolve - 2
Panache - 3

Civil Skills

Riverboat Pilot
Balance - 1
Knotwork - 1
Rigging - 1
River Navigation - 1

Hunter
Stealth - 1
Tracking -1
Survival - 1

Streetwise
Socializing - 1
Strett Navigation - 1

Martial Skills

Beat - 3
Charge -3
Lance - 3
Exploit Weakness -3

Ride
Ride - 1

Polearm
Attack - 3
Parry - 1

Athlete
Climbing - 1
Footwork - 2
Sprinting - 1
Throwing - 1

Interest:

Explorer's Society- 1
Invisible College- 2
Knights of Rose and Cross- 0
Los Vagos- 4
Inquisition- 1

Backgrounds:

Obligation-Aid Nicklaus Woerner
Pressed Into Service
Hunted -Inquisition

Cards:
Keep your eyes on the Road!
I know your Secret!
I know right where we are!
Watch Out Behind You!
I can make it!
It's not as Bad as it Looks
Eyeheartawk

Postby Eyeheartawk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Updating post Origins '16.

This includes a few past conventions as well as I have neglected this online backup.

Manfred Von Richthofen

Brawn - 3
Finesse - 3
Wits - 2
Resolve - 2
Panache - 3

Civil Skills

Riverboat Pilot
Balance - 1
Knotwork - 1
Rigging - 1
River Navigation - 1

Hunter
Stealth - 1
Tracking -1
Survival - 1

Streetwise
Socializing - 1
Strett Navigation - 1

Martial Skills

Beat - 4
Charge -4
Lance - 4
Exploit Weakness -3

Ride
Ride - 1

Polearm
Attack - 3
Parry - 1

Athlete
Climbing - 1
Footwork - 3
Sprinting - 1
Throwing - 1

Interest:

Explorer's Society- 2
Invisible College- 3
Knights of Rose and Cross- 1
Los Vagos- 4
Inquisition- 1

Backgrounds:

Obligation-Aid Nicklaus Woerner
Pressed Into Service

Cards:
Keep your eyes on the Road!
I know your Secret!
I know right where we are!
Watch Out Behind You!
I can make it!
It's not as Bad as it Looks
You Sir, Are a Coward!
Where is your Llama?
You killed my Mother, Prepare to Die!
Eyeheartawk

Return to The "Heroes" of Altamira