Mark C's Character: Valerii Kiriyenko

The repository for all things "Heroes of Altamira." Post your character, discuss their latest adventures, talk to some of the Secret Societies (if you can find them).

Mark C's Character: Valerii Kiriyenko

Postby MC43 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:08 pm

((NOTE: This is a rough draft. I need to make sure I didn't mess anything up... A background will be coming soon when I get the character is audited and I know I made him right.))

((EDIT: Changed language "Castille (Acquaintance)" Added Background "On the Street [1]" Removed 1 point from Knack "Jab"))

Traits [56]
3 Brawn ●●●○○
2 Finesse ●●○○○
2 Wits ●●○○○
4 Resolve ●●●●○○
2 Panache ●●○○○

Sorcerous Heritage (Half-Blooded Pyeryem) [20]
0 Speak ○○○○○
1 Man ●○○○○
2 Animal Form (Bear) ●●○○○

Background: [3]
Hunting (Wife)

Arcana: [-10]
Rash

Advantages: [29]
- Cold-Climate Conditioning [1], Large [5], Toughness [3], Pain Tolerance [3], Night Trained [4], Keen Senses [2], Legendary Trait (Resolve) [3], Faith [5], Personal Relic [3]

Languages: [1]
Ussura, Castille (Aquaintance)

Skills and Knacks: [31]
- Athlete:
1 Climbing ●○○○○
2 Footwork ●●○○○
1 Sprinting ●○○○○
1 Throwing ●○○○○
1 ^Swimming ●○○○○ [2+3]

- Pugilism:
2 Attack ●●○○○
2 Footwork ●●○○○
1 Jab ●○○○○
1 ^Ear Clap ●○○○○ [2+4]

- Guide:
1 Street Navigation ●○○○○
2 Survival ●●○○○
1 Trail Signs ●○○○○
1 ^Direction Sense ●○○○○ [2+4]

- Herbalist:
3 Cooking ●●●○○
2 Diagnosis ●●○○○
3 First Aid ●●●○○
1 Flora ●○○○○ [2+5]

- Hunter:
2 Fishing ●●○○○
2 Perception ●●○○○
1 Tracking ●○○○○ [2+2]

- Servant
2 Etiquette ●●○○○
1 Fashion ●○○○○
1 Menial Tasks ●○○○○
1 Unobtrusive ●○○○○ [2+1]

---

Growing up, Valerii had very little care for the world around him. His parents tried to teach him at a young age, but being the reckless person that he was, he ran away at a young age and never looked back. Instead, he bounced from bar to bar, enjoying the short life he knew he was going to have. He had no fears, acting almost like he had a death wish, enjoying life and all of the pleasures contained within. He would drink to blacking out constantly, he would gamble away any money that he had, and when he was broke, he would take to the streets and strong arm money from weaker souls. He took what he wanted, and didn't care about any of the consequences.

One such night of drunken escapades, he and the small group that he called friends stumbled upon a newly found bar with a beautiful young hostess serving there. As was common for Valerii, in his drunken state, he staggered over and attempted to converse with the girl, hoping to have a companion for that night. Like many of the others, she shied away from his advances. There was something strange about this girl though. Every time he spoke, she would always try and hide a chuckle before slipping away from his glace. She was tiny compared to him, with long, rich black hair that reached down to the small of her back, and piercing blue eyes that would easily shine through the snow.

Normally for him, he would continue his advances, wait for the slap and wear the red welt as a trophy, but he found himself getting tongue tied around her. Even heavily inebriated would he find himself losing track of his words. The group continued to frequent the bar, and each time he would drink less and less, hoping that with a clear head, maybe he would be able to figure out how he could speak to her. Soon he would go to this place by himself, and order a meal just to have a chance to see her and her honest smile.

Sitting alone one cold afternoon, he began to realize how he was living his life. There he was with a boar's leg, alone and miserable. He began to hate himself, disgusted with how he was living, and unsure if he could turn his life around. He had done so many terrible things, he was afraid there would be no hope for him. With these dark thoughts now flooding his mind, they soon overwhelmed him and flowed out of his eyes.

The girl, noticing his sobbing, walk over and asked if everything was ok. Valerii then poured his heart out to her. For almost two solid hours he pour out all of his sins, able to recount all of the shop keepers he had stolen from, all of the beggars he has beaten, all of the games he had cheated, all of the girls' hearts that he had broken, all of the tankards, chairs, doors and limbs too. He told it all to her, and the entire time she sat there and listened, simply nodding. After he confessed everything, he was able to see her eyes pierce into his soul, her soft voice telling him that it was ok, and that he can now truly live as he was meant to.

Begging forgiveness to the one who he did no wrong to, she was able to get him a position at the bar helping to cook and clean. He took to it immediately, excelling and helping the place gain business. Every ounce of payment he received however, never reached is pocket. Instead, he took that which he had earned, and gave it away, hoping to pay back for the sins he had made twice over.

He continued living this way for several years, he and the servant girl, who he learned was named Aneska Nevskaja, fell in love, and wedded each other after several happy years together. During their vows, he was presented with a necklace pendant with her picture in his, which he treasured.

The original owner of the business retired, and left the place to the two of them, where they expected to live out the rest of their days feeding those that needed food, and warming those that needed heat.

After a few blissful years of marriage and happiness, he woke up one morning to find that his wife had disappeared with a note where she once slept. "Find her."

Closing up shop, he gathered supplies for a journey he couldn't even begin to imagine. Picking a direction and trusting his heart, he continued to walk for hours, which turned into days, which turned into months, and almost what felt like years. He would forage for food in whatever wilderness he stopped in, or would find a small settlement nearby where he would offer any services needed for a place to lay his head. Every night, before falling asleep, he would open up that locket, and swear to her that he would find her, and bring her home.

One morning, while finding himself in a large and confusing city, he stumbled around, before being bumped by a passerby, knocking the locket off of his neck chain. Diving down so that he wouldn't lose it, he found that it had opened up, Aneska's piercing eyes and smile looking at him. This was a sign he felt, that he was close, so it was here that he started to look.

---

((Audit [7/17/13] - Fixed numbers to reflect HP total.))

((EDIT [7/18/13] - Increased Wits to 2, Removed Sword School, Moved one SP from "Animal Form (Bear)" to "Man", Removed Background "On the Streets", changed Arcana to "Rash", Removed "Firm Grip" from advantages, added several others, Skills and Knacks were updated.))

((EDIT [7/24/13] - Changed footwork to 2 pips in Athlete. Removed "Perception" in Servant, added 1 pip to "Etiquette" in Servant. Fixed math. Started quick back story.))
Last edited by MC43 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.
MC43

Re: Mark C's Character: Valerii Kiriyenko

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Ok here's the points rundown:
Traits: You begin with a "1" in everything (and a bonus of "1" additional in Resolve) which means you bought 6 Pips at 8HP per for a total 48 (not 56)*
Swordsman School: is 25HP but you have a bonus Pip in Fortitude which costs an additional 3HP
Sorcery: is 20HP for halfblooded**
Backgrounds: 4HP***
Arcana: -10HP
Advantages: 14HP
Languages: 1HP****
Skills: 27HP*****
for a grand total of 132 (so you're 2HP over)

*I would however, point out that you left yourself with Wits 1. Wits is very important in this game and you will suffer quite a bit if you leave it like this. Also, with that lone "1" you have dropped your beginning Drama Dice (the things you use to turn into your animal forms) down to 1 also.

**Note at this point you have not given yourself a way to turn back into a human. If you leave it like this, once you transform, you will be stuck in bear form forever. I would also add, just from a roleplaying perspective, Altamira (and really all of Castille) is overrun with the Inquisition who don't take kindly to sorcerers of any type. Just a note to be wary where and how often you use your wonderful gifts.

Also a note about having both a sorcery and a swordschool. This campaign has a limited lifespan (12 real life years, 24 adventures +PAs) So the amount of xp you can earn is limited. It will be extremely difficult for you to gain the rank of Master with just a swordschool, with the sorcery, it will be nearly impossible.

***Backgrounds are dealt out at a 4 adventures per HP invested return rate. One adventure can be played at each PA you play in. That means (assuming you get to one PA per year) you will need 16 years to finish both backgrounds. As I mentioned above, this campaign is scheduled for 12. So you'll have these 16 adventures plus anything else you might like to do at PAs (fight a duel, deal with a background you earn in game, learn more information about the NPCs you meet, etc.)

****This campaign takes place in Altamira, in northern Castille. It is doubtful you will travel more than, perhaps 50 miles from the city (and even then only as it relates to events in the city). Everyone there speaks Castillian, and many speak nothing but. Taking Castille (ACQ) will seriously hinder your ability to understand all but the most basic concepts.

*****Where you went wrong here is all your Advanced Knacks (Swimming, Head Butt, Ear Clap) are all 3HP for each pip and you start with 0.

Overall, I notice this is a combat heavy and naturalist kind of character, and while there's nothing wrong with that, you may find yourself feeling left out when it comes to doing social or 'in town' activities (of which there are quite a few).

Finally, I should say with all my suggestions, they are just that, suggestions. I am not saying anywhere here that you shouldn't do something, just informing you so you have all the facts. Feel free to ignore any or all at your discretion.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:25 am

Don't shapechangers return to human form the next day?
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:12 am

Sister Sonya wrote:Don't shapechangers return to human form the next day?

Nope. What you're thinking of is the "You REALLY screwed up" roll where you rolled less than half the TN when attempting the change (where you are trapped in the form until the next morning). Or the Master ability where you get the boons without any change (those abilities don't require the Man Knack to turn off, the just stop the next dawn). PG p. 216 (for both) if you're curious.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:27 am

If he chooses to keep Dobrynya, Bear Hug is purchased as a Basic Knack, rather than Advanced, so he may want to reconsider where he's putting his points in there.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby MC43 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:39 am

Let me address each point in order as you presented them.

*Wits - Fair enough. When I recalculate and reallocate my points, I'll see if I can't raise my wits any. I was aiming to play a character who doesn't pick up on things quickly, but hopefully I can fix that and get a re-review.

**Human form - See, I was confused reading about the shapechange thing. I thought I could use the "Man" knack, but just using my Resolve trait. I'll be sure to fix that step one!

Also will probably drop the sword school. I understand about the threat against sorcery of the area, but that is something Valerii will have to deal with.

***This has been ironed out by my allies, and I understand the rules on backgrounds a bit better. I'm going to drop "On the Streets" because that was a character roleplaying thing I was going to do, but it doesn't need to be a background thing. I may change this a bit as well.

****This was actually a conscious decision at character generation, and the most I may go up with is a poor speaker, as Valerii recently took to the road, and has been in this area for a short while, only picking up little bits of conversation that would allow him to ask for help or work. Might change, but I like the idea of it...

*****That might have been a translation thing. I made the character on paper, then during translation to the site, I didn't have the books open, so I missed some things.

I'm going back to the drawing board on this, but hopefully will have something soon in order to get another check and final ok. Thanks for looking this over, and sorry for the mistakes. New system and trying to wade my way through it best I can...

I'm going back to the drawing board on this, but hopefully will have something soon in order to get another check and final ok. Thanks for looking this over, and sorry for the mistakes. New system and trying to wade my way through it best I can...

EDIT: OHH! I thought all swordsman knacks were basic and not advanced. That might be why I'm exactly 2 points over, even though I did a lot of the math wrong. That's alright though... more than likely going to lose the school anyway...
Last edited by MC43 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
MC43

Postby salamanca » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:20 pm

My mobile unit just shows squares where your pips live so I cannot comment on points. Don't sweat the sorcery, you are far from the first shapeshifter in the campaign. But do be smart about it... The best shape shifter we have has played 3 sessions and his fellow players do not realize he has the ability yet despite regular usage. (use written notes and pick your spots). The language barrier is a bold choice and in character, good luck with it. Reducing backgrounds is also a good idea, there are too many established in the adventures to complete all of them (and depending on choices made, you may not even be offered all of them. I recommend 1 good one and filling PA time with in game events beyond that. (we are very open to turning many things into backgrounds during play, if something intrigues you, just ask about it at the end of the session).
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby MC43 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:56 pm

I can try and fix the post so it has just numbers instead of dots. I'll get on that when I finish up this post.

I need a few things clarified.

The skill Herbilist. Is that selectable for any character? The skill is found in Sophia's Daughters sourcebook, which is a secret society that I was told I'm not allowed to join at the start of the game. I just wanted to make sure that was something I could have.

In the player's guide it says that if you have two skills that give you the same knack (for example, both Athlete and Pugilism give the knack, Footwork), you add the two points together so you would have a knack of Footwork 2. In one of the documents I was looking through, they made a mention that the rule was being ignored, and they would not stack. Is that the case for this campaign?

Also, as a rules question, I did a personal audit of my skills, and I can't come up with 27, I keep getting 25. Am I missing something. From what I see, Wrestling and Athlete are free due to the school, the advanced knacks are spent at three, and buying the skills are at 2. Guide and Hunter have three knacks at one, then calculated as normal. Am I doing something wrong?
MC43

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Nope you aren't, I was. For some reason I got it in my head that hunter came with 2 knacks and Survival was an advanced knack. Things I did notice, Athlete is free, as is the second pip of Footwork (synergy bonus with Pugilism*) so just 6HP (for the 2 pips of Swimming) and in Pugilism Footwork is 2 also

* we do use Synergy Bonus, you probably read the Crystal Keep Base Handbook which houseruled the "no bonus" thing

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Keep the pips as posted. If I need to see numbers, i'll actually use a laptop. I have no issue with the herbalist skill (despite it being in the SD book) unless Mark overrules me, it should not pose a problem.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:20 pm

Yup sorry forgot to add that (takes forever to type on an iPad). Even though the Herbalist was presented in SD I can really see it being far more widespread than just them, so no problems with having it (plus I think it fits the character).

I also wanted to add my cudos for taking the ACQ level of Castillian for rp'ing reasons. We are definitely more of a ROLE-playing campaign than a ROLL-playing campaign and both Dave and I go ga-ga over character exposition.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby MC43 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:43 am

Alright, round 2 (and hopefully my final draft) of Valerii is up and here for your approval.

Now that I have a little more time to play with and know the system, this whole character generation thing is. I can see this character fleshing out as I was playing with the skills and switching things around... it was a challenge, but hopefully it will be well worth it. I can't wait to see this guy in action!

Thanks! I was debating on the language. When I started going through the books and creating initial designs, someone who was helping me was telling me of the area we were starting in, and that I should aim to get that language so I can contribute more. However, when the character started to form, I more and more DIDN'T want the language, but when I saw that there were different levels of training I could get, I thought it was perfect! Spoiler before I actually write down his backstory, Valerii has only been around the area for so long, but because of his stopping here, have picked up those key words that you need to get by, plus maybe a few others. "Work? Looking for bed? Trade. Help?" enough to hopefully get what he is trying to say, but obviously not from around here.

Last few questions. Do we have starting "g" (have a feeling that is supposed to be "gold" but since I know this is not a medieval setting, I'll try and keep it as such)? If not, is it safe to assume that we have a set of clothing at least? I understand not having a backpack with full camping gear without the money to back it up, but just wanted to know how strict we are being on such things. I might have to make one last change (a quick dropping of a point to pick up an inheritance so I can get some things), but hopefully I'm all set and ready to take on the challenges of this world.

Thanks for your patience in all of this by the way. It's greatly appreciated!
MC43

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:11 am

You do have starting G (Guilders, the first 'paper' currency. Originally from the Vendel, but making its way throughout Theah with more or less success*). The way you calculate your starting cash (PG p131 or the Base Handbook p. 43) is to use your income earning skills/advantages (of which you have none) so you get 1d Guilders (which we give you the max) so you begin the game with 10 G but have no monthly income (keep in mind this is additional spending cash as it's assumed your food, lodgings and basics are taken care of).

For starting stuff, you begin with a set of clothes appropriate for your social class (Nobles get fine clothes, Merchants less so, those without jobs even less so, and vagrants get rags) along with one weapon (again appropriate for your social class and skillset, though since you don't have a martial skill that requires a weapon, you probably have something like a skinning knife, though if you want an antique blunderbuss I'm all for it).

*Ussurans are still in the barter system, so assume 1G=1 Chicken (yes that's the actual exchange rate ;)) Fortunately for you Altamira is very accommodating when it comes to different nationalities, so they'll be able to take your chickens

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:15 pm

We are very, very, very, very (note I said that 4 times for a reason) laid back on listed equipment. Having a length of rope to tie up some goons can be safely assumed. If you can use a pistol, you have one. Need a bedroll, not a big deal. Weird stuff, on the other hand, we need to know you made a point to get that. (stuff like specialized tools, ceramic dalmations, unique weapons, beekeeper gear...).
salamanca

Postby spizio » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:12 pm

What about saffron?
spizio

Postby Lady Grace » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Well, we ARE in Castille. Depends if you make the proper Flora check in identifying the correct crocus.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:47 pm

Actually LG, Spizio was making a smart-alec reply of sorts. He was refering to a P.A. that was played at Total Con. Since P.A.'s are only played once, and different ones at each Con, you wouldn't have known about it.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby MC43 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:25 am

So, is this second run ok? I checked and doubled checked the math, but just wanted the green light in case there was something more I needed to fix.
MC43

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:25 am

Points rundown, Take 2 (and sorry I didn't apparently do this earlier):
Traits: 56HP
Sorcery: 20HP
Backgrounds: 3HP
Arcana: -10HP
Advantages: 29HP
Languages: 1HP
Skills: 30HP*

For a grand total of 129

*Mistakes I saw
Athlete - because you have Footwork in both Athlete and Pugilism, you get 2 pips in each (because they are the same skill, and we do use synergy bonuses).
Pugilism - The synergy bonus above means the 2 pips of Footwork you have here don't cost you anything. If you want to add a point, both "Footworks" will have 3 pips
Servant - Just a nitpicky detail, Servant doesn't have Perception as a Knack.

So spend your 1HP and you are all set!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:15 am

It's that pesky Crystal Keep...they add homebrewed stuff here and there. :?

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:29 am

I actually contacted Stephen D'Angelo (the guy responsible for Crystal Keep) and asked him to borrow the old Word files that he made the books from (so I could edit them to apply to HoA). He was more than receptive, so I have them, I just haven't gotten around to making the edits.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby MC43 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:07 pm

There! Everything should now be done, save for making the backstory make a bit more sense. I wanted to at least get down the "cliff notes" version of his story so you guys would be able to get more of a feel of who Valerii is. I figured there would be more to discover when I finally get into his skin at a table, but here's the start.

I'm hoping to fix it up a bit before OGC, but I'm hoping that I'm ready to play! Thanks for letting me join, helping me make this character, and being patient with me. I'm looking forward to this weekend!
MC43

Postby salamanca » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:09 pm

Have fun storming the castle. Just remember to take notes so you can remember which NPC you hate 3 years from now. AND ASK MARK WHERE THE CARDS ARE!. He always forgets the cards.
salamanca

Return to The "Heroes" of Altamira