Gentleman's/Social Clubs

Want to know what the writer was thinking? Don't understand the significance of a scene? Or maybe you just want to comment on your experience (for good or bad). This is the place.

Regarding the idea of including private club membership in HoA, I am...

1. Curious about the clubs and interested in joining (I think it's a good idea)
29%
2. Curious about the clubs but uninterested in joining (It's a good idea, just not for me)
71%
3. Not interested in the whole thing (Not a good idea, don't bother adding it)
No votes

Total votes : 7

Gentleman's/Social Clubs

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:23 am

First some background...
It occurred to me while doing research on my adventures, that there are several (at least 5) of these private clubs throughout Altamira. And while my initial reaction to their existence was "so what?" I have since thought that some of you (especially those who's characters are motivated by social status) might be interested in joining.

Now the first question I imagine you asking is, what's the benefit? Well I couldn't see any game mechanic benefit (so no, +X bonus on Y rolls for joining Z Club). But I could see a bonus to your reputation (for good or bad) for joining one club over the other.

As for costs, again, this isn't a game mechanic benefit so no XP cost. However, if you sought them out, there'd either be a monthly or yearly fee, or if they sought you out, that might be reduced (or even waived).

At this point I wasn't seeing any special events that are just for members of certain clubs, but I could see (on an individual basis) PA events where your club might ask for a favor.

So I created a poll, give me your honest feedback.

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Gentleman's/Social Clubs

Postby salamanca » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:33 am

Social clubs are not going to be admitting 10 year olds so I have no stake in it. If we do it, I'm probably writing half of that stuff so I'm not voting for or against the idea.

the rest of you need to chime in however so we can either get the ball rolling on some of this or focus elsewhere.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:44 pm

Sister Sonya finds the idea of joining a Gentleman's Club to be an interesting idea. What are the qualifications?
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:06 am

Well I guess that depends on a couple of things. 1. Do you have the cash? 2. (at least for the Vodacce Gentleman's Club) are you willing to "work off" your bill (cause there's a big trade for 'women' in your line of work, or at least women who appear to be in your line of work) 3. Which club were you referring to?
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Each club will have it's own list of merits they are looking for in a member. Generally, all will want people of impressive backgrounds or those making a good name for themself in town. Most will want people of a good moral nature (or claim to, actual members may find that to be less of the case). Certainly the membership comittee will need to find you an interesting person to socialize with.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:39 am

And so... I'm confused.

The Montaigne Sourcebook has information about two of the "Social Membership Clubs" of the many found in Theah (sic): The Venerable Order of Esteemed Gentlemen (3 HP), and Mode du Lac (3 HP). I have found none listed in the Castille Sourceboook, for Altamira or anywhere else.

I like the idea of social clubs. They're another of those things that act to flesh out Theah. But, have I missed where others are listed? Ae you including such as the Explorer's Society or any of the memberships listed in the PG?

So, what did I miss and where did I miss it?
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:26 am

Well, you will just have to wait and see what comes up during game play. Maybe you will get invited to a secret meeting someplace unusual or a dinner hosted by a contact. The whole point of a club is that it gets a say in selecting members. As for finding them listed...it's been a few years but I'm still a founding member of the "Novus Group", so I can certainly claim the right and power to invent and add material beyond the published books.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:35 am

The Adventurers' Society of Luthon would probably count as a "gentleman's club" and probably have an Altamira chapter.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:34 pm

They would count, but they don't have a chapter in altamira. They keep their organization at home base. Not to say there isn't a similar organization with an interest in mapping theah in castille.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:48 am

I guess my issue is Why? Secret Societies cost 5HP. Society adventures might become available in 2-3 years, but irregularly. Gentlemens' clubs have no apparent cost, and seem to be parallels to Secret Societies.

If Secret Societies are to be given weight for their HP cost, that would mean that Gentlemens' Clubs shouldn't become a factor for 4-6 years. So, will they cost 15XP, or the HP equivalent?

So why now?
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:34 pm

It's a living campaign. We are looking at doing things that enrich the feeling of participating in an actual environment with other people beyond the players. We want you to be able to remember NPCs and go back to them in future games. The clubs are offering a chance for players who may not have other outlets like memberships to make some contacts or establish a.location to use for meeting places. (and smart secret soc. Members amy want those as well since a club is more public). If you are playing a swordsman, rose and cross, priest then you may not want to add tp your activities but a montaigne courtier fop may want to establish some ties to the community. It's not about gaining a stat advantage, it's not about spending points to promise you a guy in town that will loan you a horse or sword. And it is not about cheating a player that bought a secret society or background by offering the same benefits. You are not gaining bonuses from membership. What you are getting is options to make use of. I cannot specify because they will require some player creativity.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:15 pm

Sister Sonya wrote:Secret Societies cost 5HP. Society adventures might become available in 2-3 years, but irregularly. Gentlemens' clubs have no apparent cost, and seem to be parallelto Secret Societies.

I think that's the source of your misunderstanding. I think you're assuming joining a club is going to get you the same benefits as a Secret Society (infrequent adventures based on the Secret Society along with the ability to take certain advantages which are unavailable to other PCs), that isn't the case. Secret Societies give you mechanical benefits, clubs give you role-playing opportunities.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby yves vincene » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:37 pm

I am interested in joining a club :)
"We can team up!"

"I'm just doing the right thing"
yves vincene

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:42 pm

You already belong to the Knights of the Rose and Cross my son.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Nobody said they are against members with other lesser interests.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:18 pm

Send him to the Sunflowers! :twisted:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Klcp » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:53 pm

So basically like the secret society we just created at the Vernecon Dry Dock for Crimson Valor. Anonymous Alcoholics where some of our rules include that we must invite someone to drink with us every module and we must have a drinking contest with all members every dry dock...Not to mention the song that must be written after the contest. This DD it was:

I will always have my drink on hand.
I will never eat my favorite sand.
You can't go! Rum, wait!
The ham stumbles upon fate!
They are vicius just wait!
Don't die,
DRINK!

You should hear us sing it.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea and I also think that players should be allowed to create their own social clubs (assuming they have at least one other player character willing to join).
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Klcp wrote:... I also think that players should be allowed to create their own social clubs (assuming they have at least one other player character willing to join).

You tryin ta give away all our secrets?

PS Welcome back missy, we missed ye!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Klcp » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:28 pm

What? No, sorry.

And yeah, I've missed me too. 8-)
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby Cestus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:48 pm

We are starting a mead hall!
Cestus

Postby salamanca » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:04 pm

I swear i was not even aiming at her. And for the record, i never want to hearfrank and kenny sing.

I would tell you about the club Romeo is forming but we don't allow icky girls.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:12 pm

salamanca wrote:I swear i was not even aiming at her. And for the record, i never want to hearfrank and kenny sing.

I would tell you about the club Romeo is forming but we don't allow icky girls.

How about totally kick-arse women?
spizio

Return to Writing Feedback