PUSH Rpg ***Seeking Feedback***

Want to know what the writer was thinking? Don't understand the significance of a scene? Or maybe you just want to comment on your experience (for good or bad). This is the place.

PUSH Rpg ***Seeking Feedback***

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:37 pm

Laura and I have been, on and off, working on an RPG based on the movie PUSH for darn near a year now with precious little progress. So I thought I might open this up to the rest of my players to see if maybe we can get some feedback about what we're doing.

Ok first off, if you haven't seen PUSH, go, now, watch, LOVE! The movie is chock full of campaign goodness, and fairly screaming for someone to make an RPG out of it. Now, unlike most movie/TV/book RPG translations, you don't really have to be familiar with the setting to enjoy the RPG. If you've ever read any of the old PSI World or modern mystery thrillers, this will work.

I don't think we're so much looking for setting/fluff help. The world and history are pretty well set up (via both the movie and the 6 issue comic series that preceded it), and I have a good optional twist for the set-up that could take the game far from the original confines of the source material.

We even have a series of book ideas for stuff beyond the original rpg book (covering the main city setting, Hong Kong; the government organization behind this all, The Division; and even historical/futuristic settings; anything from WWII to cyberpunk).

And, for the record, yes I understand that before I really get into any of this I will need to secure the rights to publish an RPG for this from Icon Productions. But I think before we head to them with a check, we really need to be prepared to show them proof of concept.

What we don't have, and could really use help with, is mechanics.

We are not wedded to the idea that we are going to make this a totally new rpg system.
Nor are we wedded to the idea that we should use something that already exists.

But in either case, we need something that is gritty in terms of fluff but still action/superhero-y enough to allow PCs to get out of deadly situations relatively unscathed.

Some thoughts about RPGs that already exist.
GURPs - very, very gritty. I like the system's modularity (so creating the psi powers that exist in game would be relatively straight forward since GURPs already has a psionics supplement). BUT it is not OGL and I simply don't see us ever getting to use it (not to mention that we'd already be paying for the rights to call it PUSH and that's just an unneeded extra cost).
FATE - way more cinematic, and loosy-goosy in terms of how the action would go, I'm just not familiar enough with it to say much more at this point (but it does have OGL so we can use it FOC)
d20 - do I really have to say it? fine. LEVEL based systems just don't do it for me.
Savage Worlds - I hear they have an OGL or can be bought or some such, but from what little I've played (Deadlands Reloaded) I like their original system better and don't know enough about this system to really do it justice.

So, help? Suggestions? Ideas?
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: PUSH Rpg ***Seeking Feedback***

Postby Lady Grace » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Feng Shui, maybe?
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:46 pm

I've never played it, but have heard good things from those that have. LG do you happen to know if it has an OGL?
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:27 pm

I don't know, alas. I'm seeing a PDF preview for an OGL/Feng Shui crossover here, but that's the closest I've found.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby spizio » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:27 am

FUDGE
spizio

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:17 am

Isn't FUDGE and FATE semi-related in their ways of working? (At least I have heard it is, I myself don't really know, never playing either of them, that I can recall).

So what would be the difference if we used one rather than the other?
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby smafdi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:50 pm

This post has some spoilers for those of you who have not watched this movie yet. STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND GO WATCH IT AHHH MEERRRR GHHHHDDDD.

I'm pretty sure fudge and fate are pretty darn close. Myself I'm still in love with the d10 system, and with the latest version of l5r rpg they fixed some of the sillyness of 10k10+x. Saying all that, I'm not sure if it would be best for this world.
Actually thinking about it more, i think the fudge/fate system would work great with the world especially based on what happens with capt. america and his powers. Would kinda simulate how sometimes he gets good uses and other times he just plain fails.

Damn you mark, getting me excited!

So yea, fudge/fate is my vote.
smafdi

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:54 pm

smafdi wrote:This post has some spoilers for those of you who have not watched this movie yet. STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND GO WATCH IT AHHH MEERRRR GHHHHDDDD.

Stephen am I to understand you hadn't seen it before now? If so, welcome to the obsession. Now go out and find the 6 issue mini-series of comic books.

Here's the cover of Issue 1 to get you started

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:00 am

I'm clueless as to the movie, but Fate has many offshoots. I'm am somewhat familiar with Spirit of the Century, Diaspora, and Dresden Files.

I like the skill pyramid... a lot
Sister Sonya

Postby smafdi » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:56 am

Nah, i saw that movie in the theatre! I've always like chris evans even before he was capt. 'murica. Push to me is one of those, your favourite movie you forgot about. But damn you now i need to get those comics.....
smafdi

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:25 pm

Went out to the store to get a few groceries tonight, since I had no food in the house due to a dead refrigerator, and just happened to look in the cheap video area, and found a copy of PUSH! So now I can study it more to see what we can do about making it a RPG. :D
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:57 pm

Just because we haven't been talking about it doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about this. Just found the wiki for it. http://www.push.wikia.com

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:24 am

And why did I find that wiki? Of course because I just wrote the outline for the first adventure! It's an overlapping scenario where you can be agents for Division or simply those caught up in their path. Would make (at least I think) a good opening adventure for a PUSH campaign.

I'm thinking of playtesting it with my home group during Mark's Wacky Gaming Weekend at some point.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:36 pm

New news on the PUSH front!

I had occasion to take a gander at MWP's licensing agreement (which you can read HERE) Good news is, if we do this fan produced, we don't have to pay them AND we don't even have to ask their permission. EVEN BETTER NEWS is, if we want to really do it, WE DON'T HAVE TO PAY THEM! (though we will have to get their permission)

I can see Cortex doing PUSH really well...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Return to Writing Feedback