Writing Progress

Want to know what the writer was thinking? Don't understand the significance of a scene? Or maybe you just want to comment on your experience (for good or bad). This is the place.

Re: Writing Progress

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:03 am

Almost finished re-outlining the new scenes (should be finished today). Then I'll get to work on those 5 scenes. Dave has nothing to apologize for, these are much better.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:58 pm

And I just sent Mark a new idea about how to play out one scene that probably just activated that delete button again.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:21 am

Act 2, Scene II and III are now finished. Just Act 3 to go. But that may have to wait as Dave gave me some great (and detailed) feedback regarding Ep. 8. So at some point I need to incorporate that, then get the editing done for both 7 and 8.

Also need to get my outline done for a super-secret project I am doing for TotalCon so the others I am working with will know what my part is (I will say, to those going to TC, keep an eye out for events happening at 7pm on Friday)

Still need to get to the Witch Hunter adventure AND the websites...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Act 3 is all finished up which means Ep. 9 is FINISHED! (well finished with the Rough Draft) But in any case, now its on to Ep. 10...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Send it out so I can correct all the mistakes I made.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:13 pm

Really having problems with Ep 10's beginning. So far three days on Act 1 Scene I and I'm still not happy with it. Probably should give it a break and get that darn Witch Hunter adventure out (or the damn short story which REALLY should be done already).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:20 pm

walk away, post the short version in the admin section with what you need it to do. I'll think about it.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Walked away just like you said, wrote the first part of the short story (which the wife loved) gonna write a couple more and maybe work on that Witch Hunter adventure.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Got my inspiration back. Re-outlined the adventure (at least the parts I was least happy with) and now back to work. Scenes 1&2 done!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Woo hoo! Finished the last scene for Ep 10 (now all that remains is the details and the NPCs) AND did the next short story for my book.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:40 pm

First three Witch Hunter Scenes done and more progress on my third short story! Going good I think.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Wife left Sunday to deal with ugly family matters in Houston so I have been solo till today. Did absolutely no writing during the whole time and it was just what I needed. Still not ready to get back in the saddle, and that's ok. It'll come back soon.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:17 am

As you can tell by my wordcounter at the bottom of my sig, I am still hard at work doing NaNoWriMo. My plan is to get around 75k words done by the time Turkey day comes around. Then I need to get to editing this year's two new adventures. I also need to get back to writing the Witch Hunter adventure I promised. And, I'd really like to finish this book (which, I can guarantee won't be finished at 75k words).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:32 am

Ok back from thanksgiving shenanigans, and ready to write! Things on my list for now include, finishing up my book (which still has, I would guess, around 40k left to finish), editing the newest two adventures for HoA, and finishing the rough draft for Episode 10 (just one final scene, which is mostly done, it just needs some PAZAZZ!).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:54 am

So I guess our discussion before and after tomorrow's game will be "how and what type of Pazazz" its going to be. ;)
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:53 am

Got about 20-25k left to go on the book (I hit an average of about 8k words per chapter and I have about 2.5 chapters left to go give or take). Unfortunately, post NaNoWriMo I am writing at a far slower pace (though it is picking back up again) so at my current average it'll take about ten more days. Then I have quite the list...
Edit and re-write Episodes 7&8
Write (or at least outline) the kids adventure for TC
Write (or at least outline) the Brass & Steel adventure I'm also doing for TC
Write that Witch Hunter adventure I promised I would get to but keep putting on the back burner

Sheesh.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:43 am

After last nights non-gaming gaming session, I have pretty much both of those outlines finished, just need to make characters. Today (at least before gaming) gonna try and get a couple of thousand words written on my book.

In case I didn't say anything before, I am already planning work on my next one. What's it they're always saying, "You can't stop at just one?"

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:12 pm

Pace is still slower on the book but progress continues, book's probably going to be longer than I expected, but given that editing will take away 10-15% I'm not worried about it becoming too long. If you're curious the running total is now in the area of 106k words

EDIT: I'm starting to think that the reason for the slower pace is my challenger is no longer writing, so I don't have someone to keep ahead of :(.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:30 am

Progress report on the book which still has no name; 114k words. Its now pretty obvious that this thing is going to go well over 120k which is still fine given that editing will bring it back under.

Oh in case you're curious why I keep pointing to 120k like its something important, most of the 'here's how to get published' stuff I've read says a typical novel is 90-120k so I'm trying to use that as a gauge for how to write.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Now working on the four individual stories (part of which will be in the book most of which will not). The first is entirely finished, the other three are in various states of 'done'. The book is up to 118k, and the count for the short stories is at around 6k.

So what's left for the book? About 3k worth of writing that will go into the book. About 4k worth of writing to finish the individual stories. Then Round 1 of editing - that is, making the changes I realized I had goofed with during the initial writing (there are around 30 changes I need to make). Then Round 2 - taking out my superfluous words. Then Round 3 - Giving it to a professional editor.

Then it's on to the other things I still have to do
Edit Episodes 7&8
Write the Witch Hunter adventure I promised (or really finish it, I've written the first 3 scenes)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

YAY YAY YAY!!!!

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:00 pm

I HAVE JUST FINISHED WRITING MY FIRST NOVEL!!! Final count 122k for the book and another 11.5k for the four short stories that will be available on the website (when I get it up and running). Now onto editing (which btw I took a look at my notes and discovered it's not nearly as awful as I thought).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:07 pm

YEAH!!!!
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:41 am

Reinvigorated for the campaign, I am now half way through Ep. 8 edits (yes, I did them backwards, accidentally).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:09 am

You are up pretty late, aren't you Mark?
Sister Sonya

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:38 am

Not too late Mike, lol. The clock on the board is still an hour ahead, so it looks later than the actual posting time.
Rebecca Iavelli

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Feedback