Writing Progress

Want to know what the writer was thinking? Don't understand the significance of a scene? Or maybe you just want to comment on your experience (for good or bad). This is the place.

Re: Writing Progress

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed May 14, 2014 11:20 pm

KAMB is finished! The adventure (entitled: The Common Cold-bald) just needs stats now and it should be all set.

Tomorrow it's back to Ep 11 and the first two scenes.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Sat May 17, 2014 9:16 am

I think you misspelled kold
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri May 23, 2014 8:32 am

Took a nice little mini vacation from writing (brain is frazzled with impending joy at going to Origins) so I've been doing a bit of reading (finally got down to actually reading Fight Club, the movie is amazingly faithful to the original source material) I have some time today so I may take a shot at getting a scene done for Ep. 11.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:19 am

No progress to report, none. Haven't even been near my computer in the last 9 days. So I've got some fresh new perspective, I signed up for Camp NaNoWriMo (so I can finish Beauty-ful Dreamers) and I can get back to Ep. 11!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Writing is slow on Camp NaNo... Been writing for three days now and have only just over 4k words :( But I'm still plugging away!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:30 pm

Beat my initial goal of 10k and then threw in an extra 5k which I finished a couple of days ago. But really don't like where it's going. In a word BORING. So I started working on my Sophia's Daughters re-write. Even got myself in the mood to try and do a new cover for the book. Wanna see?

Oh, Ok, I'm such a softie.

Front Cover 2 small.jpg
Front Cover 2 small.jpg (33.62 KiB) Viewed 45138 times

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:45 am

Re-reading the parts of the second book I've finished in an attempt to figure out where it went wrong. Been working steadily on about four different projects (HoA Ep. 11, another book, SD re-write, and the monthly campaign for David and Alex). But so far nothing is driving me real hard.

Ah well, some progress.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:02 am

Spoke too soon, started doing the fiction pieces for SD and its going well. Brain is still frazzled dealing with rl stuff but am really looking forward to GenCon!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:59 am

SD fiction is now on hold as my latest thought is to get PA ideas for Year 5 out of the way. And starting on my birthday I will be re-writing my second book (only way to save it really). So I'm going to do a NaNoWriMo by myself for Sept before the regular one in Nov (where I will get to writing 14˚N of Madness)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:07 pm

I am just bouncing all over the place this last couple of days. SD to PAs to Book to Episode 11 and back again. Phew I am getting dizzy.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:08 am

Almost finished with Chapter 1 re-write for my book, AND I figured out a cruel twist for Episode 11. Yay Me!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:19 am

I started a "Mark will write some random game once a month" session for my home game. I have now (in the first month we've been doing this) written 3 adventures (one each for GURPs, Yggdrasill, and Dark Age Call of Chtulhu, with, as you might have seen with my question about Cartoon Action Hour!, another on the way).

NaNoWriMo is next month, and 14˚ N of Madness is up! Yup I’m writing the sequel to my first book. So that's going to take up nearly all of November.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:59 pm

I didn't mention this above, but since NaNoWriMo will take most of the month, there will be precious little (if any) work on HoA. That's fine since I need a bit of a break from it, and I'll have Dec-May to get them finished up.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:00 am

Day 4 of NaNo down and I am at 10,750 (which is over 2500 words/day). Not quite as good as last year (since I was at 11,035) but certainly competitive. Welp, off to write some more.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:44 am

With two excellent days behind me I'm now well ahead of my word count for last year. In fact I will probably blow past 20,000 words early today. And maybe even make it halfway (to my first goal) by the end of the day.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:21 am

slow yesterday, but picked right up today. (As you can see by my counter now) I'm just shy of 25k. But my goal this year is 100k so to finish on time I need to hit 3445 every day from now on. TOTALLY DOABLE.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:50 pm

Quality NOT quantity. "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" was very short yet precisely as long as it needed to be. This is why I don't do these sorts of "get it done on a deadline" things. The story will tell itself if you let it.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:37 pm

While I agree in theory, the discipline keeps me going. Reminds me that despite the seeming daunting-ness of writing another book, I can do this, and I can do this consistently.

Speaking of, having a great day today. Book completely changed (ok focus of the book completely changed, so now it's going to be something like 6 chapters instead of 14-ish) but its been lots of fun writing this.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:23 am

about to blow past my first goal (NaNo's 50k) right on time (15 days in, leaving me another 15 days to get to 100k)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:30 am

All work and no play makes mark a dull boy.

there, Added 150 for you
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:29 am

Two more days to hit my second goal of 75k (have 5 left to go and have been averaging over 3k per day when I wasn't sick), so I should be right were I expected to be!

Now the only problem is I went WAY over in writing the stories (such that a story that should be around 20k is in actuality 35k). That means rather than being most of the way finished with the book, I've really just written two of the five stories I planned to do. Oh well, I have a new goal to work toward. 2k per day M-F for a year. I think with the sheer volume of stuff I have in my head, that will barely make a dent in it.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:18 am

Ep. 11 is all written, toned it down to 7 scenes instead of the usual 9 (gonna narrow 12 down to 6, I think that's still too much writing, but it gives players a LOT more time to be players).

Speaking of 12, spoke with Dave and he seems to like my new idea for it.

We also talked about what to do with the PAs for this upcoming year. I think it'll be fun.

Also need to get Beauty-ful Dreamers finished and ready for publication before TC.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:19 pm

First two scenes of 12 are finished! PA for TotalCon is done, and am about half way through the GenCon PA. A bit late but still plenty of time before the con.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:31 pm

Editing today (during the second SNOWMAGEDDON!) Both 9 and 10 are way too big.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:28 am

Took well over 2k words from each so they're ready to go. Next up, something new to cleanse my palate.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Feedback