Writing Progress

Want to know what the writer was thinking? Don't understand the significance of a scene? Or maybe you just want to comment on your experience (for good or bad). This is the place.

Re: Writing Progress

Postby salamanca » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:43 pm

I could, but I can't drive to GenCon and still put in a shift at work in the morning on weekends (as well as thurs and fri needing to be at work). I do not have the luxury of excessive vacation time in the summer. Now if we move GC to the end of January, I should be able to make that.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:02 am

salamanca wrote:How about I go public and offer to write the Origins PA?. That is one less for you to worry about. And it lets me do that thing where I grab stray threads from the other adventures and knit them together to the point the players are convinced we actually have a hired group of people living in an artificial Altamira in my back yard.

Consider it yours

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:34 pm

Lets see... What to do... Villanova, pub crawl, singing contest, entirely impossible treasure map. Wait, I already did all that. Don't worry, I got a couple good ideas and three to five established NPCs in mind.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:15 pm

More progress, now working on a listing of the specific adventures in order for the individual backgrounds. Slow going but going.

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Progress Update:
All the backgrounds that have been submitted in full (there were a few folks who wanted backgrounds intertwined between several characters who've only given me one of the two backgrounds) are finished. That means not just outlines but complete 1-paragraph-adventures which will complete a whole storyarc. Woo!

Next step is to take the suggestions I've been given for Episode 4, put them in, and edit it down to a more resonable length.

Did some mental calculations and it turns out Year Two is not 6 months away, it's only 5. I gotta hurry!

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:04 pm

Plenty of time. I am reviewing said background looking for spots that need more punch and also ways to potentially connect a few for interactive fun. Also if any players at Origins have something they want to explore in greater detail (characters or locations from the first adventures). Let me know and I will see about including that in the PA session. (do so soon)
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:48 pm

All you playtesters, Ep 4, 2nd Draft is now finished. Lemme know what you think!

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:07 am

And both Gossip and Dueling for TC is finished (I may re-use some for Origins/GenCon since there isn't a lot of overlap between TC and the other two). Now onto the mini-adventure for Personal Agendas and TC is all wrapped up (assuming none of you playtesters have any feedback for the second draft).

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Been working on the PA adventure for TC now for some time. And truth be told, it just isn't jelling like I want it to. So since TC is over 4.5 months away, I'm gonna give it a rest for a couple of weeks.

Instead I'm doing some professional (as in, they are paying me) writing for a new game that has a lot of overlap with 7th Sea (at least as far as setting-wise). I can't say more right now (darn those acursed NDAs) but suffice it to say, when it does come out I'll point you all in the right direction. So anyway, with my outline already finished for the initial book, I thought I'd start work on the initial adventure. One hour later it's a three part trilogy and I can't stop the ideas from flowing.

It's amazing how easily just a change of pace can break those writers blocks.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:43 am

On a lark (and with nothing else pressing), I decided to start work on my long neglected project of rewriting Sophia's Daughters. It is proving much easier than expected. If you are interested, pop on over to Revenants and we can discuss it.

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:40 am

Ok had an epiphany about the PA adventure. Completely scrapped the initial idea and wrote a whole new one. Sal and I are going over it now. That, of course, opened the floodgates for my initial idea, so I'll finish writing that one up and see which one works better.

As for the SD re-write, it's completely outlined, now I just need to get it written. Gotten a good deal of feedback and it seems most like the ideas I've set forth. So, we'll see what happens.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:52 pm

In a furious flurry of activity, I wrote the entire first act of Ep 5 in a day. Should be done by the end of next week and all ready for destruction by my playtesters at Origins.

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:43 pm

More progress, got the scenes 1&2 from act 2 all written, and one was even the scene that had been giving me all the trouble. Yay!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Now I'm just cruising. Act 2, Scene 3 and Act 3, Scene 1 both done.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:19 pm

Had a little time to write today (not my usual writing time) so I got about half way through Act 3, Scene II. These last two scenes are gonna be the most fun to play through.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Episode 5 rough draft is finished and ready to be torn apart by you evil, Evil, EVIL playtesters.
Just finished editing Episode 4 3rd draft
Will put all the edits in tomorrow (and turn it into the final PDF).

Have sent repeated notes to the CV folks about getting their events in and haven't heard back...
Friday, GenCon's event submission opens. I'm all ready with my events (but checking on whether I should put Domingo Gigante! into the lineup or simply ask the hall captains for a table on Sunday of GC).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 pm

If it looks like its been real quiet here, never fear. There's quite a bit going on behind the scenes getting ready for Year 2. Got all the Earned Backgrounds written out and ready to go coupled with checking and re-checking details to make sure everything fits together (I absolutely hate finding plot holes AFTER I've put everything into motion).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:16 am

Been working on and off trying to finish up the Episode 6 outline. Ideally I'd like to have rough drafts done for both adventures before Origins so I have a choice of which adventure to playtest.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:17 am

Outline of Ep 6 done!

So I started on the rough draft which is currently at 14 pages. A good beginning.

Now I just need to get my butt in gear and write the Pathfinder adventure I promised to Adventure-a-Day, and the Call of Cthulhu adventure I promised to You Too Can Cthulhu.

Oh and the SD re-write (don't worry I haven't forgotten about it)

AND my book (which btw I'm back to writing after hearing the most vile quote ever, "Every day you don't write that novel you have in your head is another day that Stephanie Meyers is better than you.")

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Wow, for one whole month I've managed to put away HoA and concentrate on other writing. It's a good break, letting me recharge my 7th Sea batteries. No worries though, all I have to do for year 3 is write up the two PAs I have already discussed with my fellows and formally write up Episode 6. That's barely anything compared to last year's workload.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby DiscoKittie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:30 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:"Every day you don't write that novel you have in your head is another day that Stephanie Meyers is better than you."

That is the most epic quote ever! I must share that with my G+ writer friends!
end of line
DiscoKittie

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:44 pm

DiscoKittie wrote:
Black Jack Rackham wrote:"Every day you don't write that novel you have in your head is another day that Stephanie Meyers is better than you."

Be my guest, though I just realized I misspelled her name when I typed it into the quote (Meyer not Meyers)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby DiscoKittie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:46 pm

That's ok, I thought that there was something funky about that... But I didn't know what! It's all good, it gets the point across!
end of line
DiscoKittie

Postby Sister Sonya » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:22 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
DiscoKittie wrote:

Be my guest, though I just realized I misspelled her name when I typed it into the quote (Meyer not Meyers)

Actually, It's Stephenie, isn't it? One of my favorite authors of Vamp tales.
Sister Sonya

Postby DiscoKittie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:14 am

Sister Sonya wrote:Actually, It's Stephenie, isn't it? One of my favorite authors of Vamp tales.

Haha, fail all the way around! But is good, is ok, ones who don't read her stuff wouldn't know the difference! (obviously) :lol:

And: Is there sarcasm there? Can't tell if honest, or trolling... :cry:
end of line
DiscoKittie

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Feedback