Writing Progress

Want to know what the writer was thinking? Don't understand the significance of a scene? Or maybe you just want to comment on your experience (for good or bad). This is the place.

Re: Writing Progress

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:40 am

Ep 8 edits done, now doing the actual changes in the adventure. About a third of the way through. Next up, putting all the edits in the book before the editor gets finished with the short stories.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:51 pm

re-wrote one of the scenes to fit better with the changes. Almost finished with the outline for my Brass & Steel adventure for TC. Book is all finished (including the edits) and off to the editor (she's thinking about the first week of Feb to be done with it). Next up gonna try to get that darn Witch Hunter adventure done. Then its on to fixing the kiddos adventure a little bit. Then 3 sets of characters and back to the 7&8 edits.

And TC is in just over 5 weeks. No problems.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:08 am

Brass & Steel adventure finished, over half way done with the Witch Hunter adventure, then characters and I should be all set (that is until the book comes back from the editor)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:10 pm

WOW I am ON FIRE today. Witch Hunter adventure? FINISHED! Mouse Guard character sheets? FINISHED! Brass & Steel Adventure? FINISHED! Edits for the short stories to go on the website for my book? FINISHED!

Now just Brass & Steel characters (which I only have to do in B&S form, as one of the other GMs is doing them all in FATE), and the edits for Ep 7&8 (and really, just 7 as 8 has maybe 4-5 pages left to fix).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:58 pm

Had a meet with the folks making the website for my book, and they had some suggestions for a bit more writing to add (essentially made bios for each of the characters, wrote a quick teaser for the book, did an 'about me' page, and made a list of the folks I wanted people to know about (who helped me get this book ready).

So I got all that done, AND finished editing Ep 8. It is completely DONE and ready to go. I'm also about 5 pages into Ep 7 editing, so that's looking pretty good too!!!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:08 am

Ep 7 editing is done, just have to transfer the handwriting into the final product. Dave finished all the changes for the templates so I have to put those in too AND I need to figure out this new server I'm going to be putting the website on (cheaper and faster).

As for the Brass & Steel adventure I'm running at TC (Mike if you're curious it's called Blixapalooza 2.0 on Friday @ 7pm). I'm about 2/3 of the way through the character sheets. I should be finished with them tomorrow.

Oh and if any of you are curious why I keep posting this, it's to A) hopefully stoke your interest for the upcoming adventures during the down-time and B) perhaps prompt you to ask questions about what was happening in an adventure you didn't understand...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:44 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:As for the Brass & Steel adventure I'm running at TC (Mike if you're curious it's called Blixapalooza 2.0 on Friday @ 7pm).

I don't have anything finite for Friday evening but am registered at the Con only for Saturday. Maybe I'll take an earlier train and stop by, if the monitors aren't too fixated about watchers having badges.
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:57 am

I doubt they'd care. In all the years I've been there, I don't think I've ever seen anyone asked about a badge. Laura would probably know better than I though.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:15 pm

I do believe that they do have visitor badges, but not sure what they are allowed to do or watch with it.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:49 am

Down to five pages of editing left to put into the adventure and then they'll both be ready to go! That'll be done today so next its onto the photocopying and mindless stuff before Thurs.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:16 pm

Visitor badges do not allow play. Since they have been at the current hotel the only time I've seen badges checked was going into the dealer room and checking games out of the board game library.
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:18 am

Ok so not a lot of updates elsewhere. That's because my book came back from the editor and I'm racing through it to ensure we can get it out as quickly as possible. But good news is, I started a second book, and will get back to HoA stuff here asap.

Keep a watch on Daddy Writes Good for updates

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:26 am

Don't you just hate, Hate, HATE finding errors in your books after you publish. Grrr.

Anyway, working hard on Beauty-ful Dreamers just over 17k in. Thinking of doing Camp NaNoWriMo in April to try and finish it off (but I've been averaging just 1k per day rather than my nearly 4k back in Nov, so I don't know if I can get the whole thing finished by the end of April).

As for HoA, I have episode 11 already outlined, and I'd started writing 12 way back when it was going to be Ep 4 (but switched things around, so I still have that stuff left over). While the gist is still the same, there's going to be a lot I need to edit, so I'm going back to the drawing board with that.

All the edits are done for Ep. 7 and 8 so now we're on to playtesting, but that's Origins so we don't need to worry about it yet.

I'm also thinking of changing the format of the episodes. I am WAY overwriting these adventures so I'm thinking of, perhaps doing a three scene act in which two are required and one is optional. That way, you can finish the adventure with just six scenes rather than 9.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:07 am

Wow, get in a little contest and see how much better you do. I went ahead and joined Camp NaNoWriMo to finish up my book and it's been coming along swimmingly. Averaging twice the minimum goal (which is very nice). Decided I'm going to stop when I finish the book rather than work on another, so I can get the (badly needed) edit done for my first book. That way I can print up some copies to bring with me in case people might want to buy them :D

Also I decided if any of you are among those who bought it already, I will give you the updated pdf for free. If you're planning on a physical copy, hold off a bit so you can get the fixed version.

As for HoA I think we're sitting pretty for this, I don't plan on working on the next set until after GenCon.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:08 am

Eight days down and I'm over half way to my Camp NaNo goal. Megan fell behind a bit, but she's trying to catch up.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 am

Passed two-thirds of the way, and closing in on 3/4. I should be done in the next couple of days! Yay!

Don and I talked about a cover for it, and got a cool idea for 'cards' to advertise it.

But I'm getting some griping about the name, people don't seem to like Beauty-ful Dreamers as the title of a rollicking pirate adventure. Fortunately though, I'm in charge so I get to pick whatever I want :twisted:

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:20 am

Just broke the 10k mark. Actually blew through it, now have under 9k to finish. Megan is dying from thirst somewhere about 12k back behind me (Of course the truth is she is working full time and simply doesn't have the hours to put into it so she's doing awesome!, just don't tell her I said so)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 am

Ok back from taking the kiddos on a little educational trip for spring break, and raring to write more. I finished off my 50k Camp NaNo goal, so for the next three days, Megan and I are going to sprint for another 10k (she says 15k but I think she's nuts).

During the trip I gave 14˚N of Prophecy one more edit. Got all that done yesterday and replaced the files so the book is all set!

BTW if any of you already bought the book, let me know, I'll give you a pdf (or ebook, whatever you want) update.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby smafdi » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:18 am

What's the retail on a physical copy? I may just be buying one from you in about a month. Gotta plan my expenses.
smafdi

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:21 am

I believe it will be $15.00 dollars, (as I was there the other night when he finalized it), but just double check with Mark, in case he changed it.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:50 am

$15 it is!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:57 pm

ok, just my update.

The Personal Agenda for Origins 2014 is complete enough for me to run at Origins. Just gotta detail the writing in the event something prevents me from being the GM.

The LARP is plotted except for a few personal goals for characters. (this is mostly little stuff to force you all to interact and make sure nobody is just standing on the sideline with nobody to talk to)

MegaParanoia is finished the earliest in it's 19 year history.

AND I built a bridge today with my bare hands a saw, a shovel, and a hammer. (plus wood and nails but that should be obvious)

All that is left is making a few props and formatting character sheets. (and printing...lots of printing)
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby smafdi » Tue May 06, 2014 11:43 am

2 notes.
1.too bad you only have bare hands, i'd be much more impressed if you did it with bear hands.
2. I still currently work in a copy shop, so if there's anything that you'd like printed let me know and i'll get it done. bulk printing esp. blank char sheets and the like.
smafdi

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu May 08, 2014 10:10 pm

Cautiously I say, I started writing Episode 11. Background is finished, and I'm into the first scene. Yes, this is still two years away.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun May 11, 2014 1:31 pm

While waiting for everyone to arrive today I'm writing my KAMB adventure (and as usual it's becoming way bigger than will ever possibly be played). Lots of really cheesy jokes and awful/humorous situations. I think this is going to be a blast.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Feedback