Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

The place for everything else.

Re: Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:00 am

Just finished up, The Unsound. I can only say, "Whooouuuhhhhh" It's got a very Call of Cthulhu, bizarre, things people were simply not meant to know, inmates running the asylum (literally in this case), vibe to it. I liked it (because I like that kind of thing), but its definitely not for everyone. I'd also add a trigger warning about self-harming behavior.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:23 am

Started in reading Injection. Warren Ellis (so naturally I have to read it) does a pretty good job mashing elements of Limetown with Helix. So far so good.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:35 pm

For reasons which you all should know, just re-read NextWave: Agents of H.A.T.E. because, among other things, it is the most awesome thing to ever exist!

Picked up trades for Pestilence. Dark Age Knights vs. Zombies, we'll see how that goes.

Daughter likes horror comics (she read and enjoyed The Unsound, go figure). But she hates Zombies, so I picked up Gideon Falls on a recommendation. We'll see how that goes.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:35 am

GRUMBLE! So I read a synopsis of Unnatural #2

While Leslie’s life has just been turned upside down by THAT message, her best friend Trish goes on a hunt to discover what lies beneath her unnatural (and yet attractive) recurring dream. Oh, and who’s the mysterious hooded figure spying on her?

And the cover was cute too, for reference

I thought it might be good for Kelly, mystery, friendship, that kind of thing. So I go looking for issue 1. And this is what I find...
GODDAMMITSOMUCH!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:39 am

On better news I also picked up Farmhand and Death Bed

Farmhand's synopsis
Jedidiah Jenkins is a farmer—but his cash crop isn’t corn or soy. Jed grows fast-healing, plug-and-play human organs. Lose a finger? Need a new liver? He’s got you covered. Unfortunately, strange produce isn’t the only thing Jed’s got buried. Deep in the soil of the Jenkins Family Farm, something dark has taken root, and it’s beginning to bloom. From ROB GUILLORY, Eisner-winning co-creator and artist of Image Comics’ CHEW, comes a new dark comedy about science gone sinister and agriculture gone apocalyptic. Nature is a Mother.

And Death Bed
Myth, hack, sex symbol, stark raving lunatic—all of these words have been used to describe Antonio Luna, the world’s greatest living adventurer. Or at least he was until 20 years ago, when he mysteriously vanished from the public eye. Now the ninety-year-old has returned and claims to be on his deathbed. Which is where Valentine Richards, a failed novelist turned reporter, comes in. Val is hired to travel to Luna’s remote castle home and uncover where the old star has been all these years, and just how much of what he says is actually true. But once Val starts to hear Luna’s tale, she finds herself entering into an insane world of psychedelic violence and explosive supernatural adventure.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Yeah, Unnatural is bordering on furry nastiness. The kid at the comic shop is reading it and after two issues still has no clue what it is about.

I would hard pass that thing regardless of who you are.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:19 pm

Boy did I SCORE comics this week. One of the comic forums I haunt had a guy selling his run of the original T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents. And it turns out he bought them first hand back in the day, so the only issue he's missing is #20 (and that includes the two spinoffs, Dynamo and NoMan). Now I've been slowly putting together my own collection, but they are in the $50-100 range per book, so it was taking a while. Well this guy wanted to sell them for $15 each. I figured they were in poor condition, but hey, I'm not fussy. Well they turned out to be in far better condition than the ones I'd been slowly collecting. So Awesome!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Picked up Anthony Bourdain's Hungry Ghosts trade paperback and it's bittersweet to read.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Previous

Return to Mundane Matters