Gaming and More Gaming!

The place for everything else.

Re: Gaming and More Gaming!

Postby salamanca » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:28 pm

My vote is to second Grace's idea.

Even if you use a different mechanic. Actors playing roles is a great metagame session. Just keep the flavor with a system that rewards opting to fail.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:43 pm

Plus, Mike still raves about the additions Dave added to years ago when we did it at Origins (actor motivations and catch phrases). 8-)
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:17 am

While I would love to give it a try (heck I even tracked down an old copy of it to add to my collection), I think selling my players on a new mechanic would be difficult...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:09 pm

The mechanic is so old school. It's percentile checks. Think of it like playing BRP.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:22 am

Last night, I played "Dead of Winter" with 5 friends. And used the colony expansion to make it a competitive team game.

I started with 2 killers in a scenario that really needed scavengers. Then my partners made a foolish charge on the other safehouse and characters started dying. Maybe rale hit zero and game over. My people died due to crossroad activations I had no control over. In one case and due to a crossroad choice that would have ended in death regardless of choice in the other.

Meanwhile, my opponents are drawing crossroad events like "if Francisco is in play, he paints a happy mural, +2 morale.".

Ah well, eaten by zombies....same ending as the last 4 tries.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Speaking of boardgames, Don Higgins was over on Saturday (to teach David and Kelly about drawing) and we ended up getting him to play Age of War. He loved it (of course).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Gearing up to be a busy weekend. Saturday we have the first playtest, so thanks to Antonio, Patrick, Megan, and of course Charlie!

Then sunday its Brass & Steel!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:11 pm

So I played in a D&D 5e Ravnica demo at our local gamestore on Saturday. I must admit, I have absolutely zero experience with Magic, so I was very much in the dark as to a number of the Magic-specific enhancements. It was fun - there were some interesting twists on magic (new spells), as well as races. What I came away with was the introduction of "factions" (or guilds). The session was a little short (likely due to the amount of experience sitting at the table), but it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Favorite moment - when the goblin sorcerer declared that the minotaur fighter would be her mount for the remainder of the adventure. :-)
CaitlinCallahan

Previous

Return to Mundane Matters