Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

The place for everything else.

Re: Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:51 am

So I saw THIS the other day, and while it had Heroes in Crisis (that book Dave's been talking about here) as a top book, there were a couple that intrigued me, specifically, The Dead Hand and The Immortal Hulk. Picked both up and will let you know what I think.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:25 pm

The Immortal Hulk is very good (or well, the first 5 issues are. Also started Dead Hand. First issue was intriguing until the end. And that's when they hooked me. Another recommendation.

Going about collecting the Claremont/Sienkiewicz run of The New Mutants (because I missed out back in the day).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Finished Dead Hand. A bit too "polly-anna-ish" ending for me, but great up to that point. The Immortal Hulk continues to be real good.
Oh and for more way-back adventures, I picked up John Byrne's full run of West Coast Avengers. I've heard from folks it's pretty good. So far for me, though, at least, it's meh.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:01 pm

Ok, speculators are going nuts for Immortal Hulk #2. If you have the early run, flip it now and cash in.

In a couple years, I doubt anybody will remember this one as a key book.

And if you love the Netflix Daredevil go try the new run (issue two just released). It's another run Daredevil through the wringer, gritty, mean streets of NYC arc from Chip Zdarsky (who my flcs guy keeps referring to as "a really good humor writer".

Spoiler: this is not a humor book. It's grim, morality of vigilante justice, Catholic guilt Matt Murdock addicted to justice.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Curse you Dave and your suggestions. I just picked up DD (one of my faves). Though I am currently re-reading The Umbrella Academy (after having binged the series on Netflix).

As for the Immortal Hulk, I have all of them from earlier so no worries there (though I don't sell my books).

Picked up some cool trades the other day, Farmhand and the Tom King run of Mr. Miracle. Oh and fresh off reading Spider-Man NOIR I heard they did another in that style, Wolverine NOIR. Probably stinks but we'll see.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:03 pm

I want a podcast of Nick Cage reading Spiderman: Noir.

And now, so do you.

When you get done binging Umbrella Academy, try the Gerard Way Doom Patrol run. He took that insane Morrison run and continued it with an actual plot hiding in the madness.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:24 pm

Well I am, on and off, watching the Doom Patrol show on DC Universe.

Speaking of, just finished Ep 13 of Young Justice Season 3. In it (for reasons that aren't necessary for my story) Beast Boy goes unconscious and starts remembering his life. So they get to the part about the Doom Patrol, and to visualize it in the show they create Doom Patrol GO! (sing it with me)

D-O-O-M P-A-T-R-O-L, DOOM PATROL! LETS GO!

And to voice the Doom Patrol they get the Teen Titans GO! cast. Original Beast Boy is (of course) Beast Boy. Chief is Robin's voice, Elasti-Girl/Rita is Starfire's voice, Robot Man is Cyborg's voice, and Negative Man (now Negative Woman) is Raven's voice.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:48 pm

salamanca wrote:I want a podcast of Nick Cage reading Spiderman: Noir.

And now, so do you.

Actually that was one of the weak points of Spiderman: Into the Spider Verse for me. SM Noir isn't funny. He doesn't play it for laughs. He's just like the name implies, NOIR, dark and gritty. But Nick Cage makes jokes (I can only see in Black and White, the rubix cube, etc.) SO not spiderman noir.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:11 am

Every once in a while someone shows me a comic that I somehow missed back in the day. This week it's a little indie comic called Star*Reach. Apparently back in the mid to late 70's they got some relatively unknowns to do some creator-owned stories for this book. Who were the unknowns, you ask? Howard Chaykin, Jim Starlin, Walt Simonson, P. Craig Russel, Barry Windsor-Smith, Frank Brunner, and the list goes on and on. SHEESH how did I miss this?!?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:18 pm

Because it was an indie book full of people we hadn't heard of yet.

Come to think of it, I think the local shop owned by the kooky old guy that isn't into comics had a copy hanging on the wall for about 15 years. I will check next time I see him open. (At 84, he doesn't keep normal hours anymore. Makes his regular pull customers insane)
salamanca

Previous

Return to Mundane Matters