For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkies)

The place for everything else.

For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkies)

Postby salamanca » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:51 pm

So, I got bored with downtime at work and then I got an idea for a story in my head and it won't leave unless I write it. So here it is...well here is the first part, anyway.

It is a script for an issue of Mister Fixer. fully written up with descriptions of what the art should look like in each panel along with word balloons and dialogue boxes.

Now, fair warning:
1- I am not promising that I will get around to writing the rest of this story.
2-The thing that goaded me to start it is not in this issue so there is a chance I will get a second issue but no promises.
3- I have been plotting as I go so I have no idea where this goes in general.


I am linking two copies one in "Open office format" because it is what I use. one in Rich Text format because it seems to be kinda universal.

Comments, criticisms and Letters page inquiries are all welcome.
Attachments
MisterFixer.odt
Big Block of Trouble Open office version
(46.65 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
MisterFixerIssue1.rtf
Big Block of Trouble Rich Text Format
(178.17 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:39 am

There is a soundtrack.

Scene 1: (the walk on the street) Sweet Emotion (not the Aerosmith version, an imaginary instrumental version by Parliament)

Scene 2: (morning at the garage)Goodbye Blue Sky by Pink Floyd.

Scene 3: (flashback) Tracks of my Tears by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.

Scene 4: (salvage yard) Lorca's Novena by the Pogues

Scene 5: (back at the garage) i got 4 or 5 that work buy each one colors the scene a different way amd i am not sure which way i am going with that.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:01 pm

I am foolishly considering starting issue two. But that would be easier if i had any idea what didn't work or was presented in a confusing manner. (Or if i need to change the format of description followed by dialogue)

So if you have thoughts, loved it, hated it, want to lobby for more Guise, whatever speak up.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:38 pm

Got some feedback (and yes definitely start part 2) Just need to finish reading/writing my thoughts.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
User avatar
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:51 am

Ok just rough thoughts at the moment (I'll flesh them out once I have a little bit of sleep in me).
1) the ad flourishes - I like them great nostalgia, you hit all the right notes. All, that is, but one. Where are the sea monkeys? Also, a question. Were these meant to be played straight (as in we are supposed to believe they are legitimate? or are they some kind of parody (because in some ways it feels to me like the latter) and if that's so, I feel like I am missing something.

2) overall tone - I know this is a setup for something more, but I feel like not a lot happened. Sure there were some cool butt-kicking scenes. But it just seems like Mr. Fixer is reacting to stuff around him rather than trying to figure out who is behind all this. (I know, I know, Wraith is the detective, but Mr. Fixer is no slouch either) And the perfect opportunity arrived too. While he was at the Turk's junkyard he could have started looking around poking into the bad guy's stuff (we don't even need to see what he's learned as long as we know he's started thinking about it, maybe add in something that seems innocuous but will prove pivotal as time goes on (or even is just a red herring)).

3) regarding the db at the end - unless you have a good twist coming at the beginning of the next issue I'd really shy away from the old dead girl causes the hero to freak out and seek justice route. If not I'm going to have to write to Gail Simone about you...

As for replacements, off the top of my head I thought about Janey's brother, cousin, uncle, dad, etc. And what is making Mr. Fixer so angry is he can hear the loss of innocence in her heartbeat (or some such) the thing that made her magical has been snuffed out with her grief.

Alternately, it's not about Janey's grief at all. The db is somehow related to "legacy" (the kid from Vietnam) that would be very in keeping with Mr. Fixer's comment about this being personal.

4) Page 17 you say something to the effect of "why spoil it now" under description of the 2 panel art. Did I miss something or did you never get to explain what this was?

Ok I am getting loopy with tired. I will be back with more thoughts. Oh yea, just before I go...

my favorite moment? This quote
Dave wrote:(author's note: personal experience confirms this will be enough to cause stars and incapacitate the goon for a good 2 minutes.)

It literally made me laugh out loud.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
User avatar
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:24 am

Thanks Mark. Post for each numbered comment.

#1. The ads came up when i looked at the script as an actual issue amd realized i needed to fill some space so the two page images were not front to back on a sheet of paper.

Emo-geddon makes fun of the DC "Metal" event that seems to have been running for 3 years now. So that is pure parody.

The Snickers ad is the modern comics version of thw old Hostess ads. In the new ones the c re ative staff are sneaky about tricking you into reading the thing after turning a page and 4 panels in, it makes no sense with the actual story and you realize they duped you into reading an ad.

The Fist in the Face Special is an easter egg. Go try that line up in the game.

The merch ad in the back just makes fun of the collectible market because only a total rube would by a replica power ring to wear...*counts 19 power rings in his house... I mean it just seemed like a great idea.

No sea monkeys or charles atlas because those ads don't really show up anymore.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:47 am

salamanca wrote:Thanks Mark. Post for each numbered comment.

#1. The ads came up when i looked at the script as an actual issue and realized i needed to fill some space so the two page images were not front to back on a sheet of paper.

Makes sense

salamanca wrote:Emo-geddon makes fun of the DC "Metal" event that seems to have been running for 3 years now. So that is pure parody.

Yup now I see it. And bravo!

salamanca wrote:The Fist in the Face Special is an easter egg. Go try that line up in the game.

Now that is VERY clever.

salamanca wrote:No sea monkeys or charles atlas because those ads don't really show up anymore.

Charles Atlas was a bit before I was reading comics, but I MISS the Sea Monkeys!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
User avatar
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:48 am

#2 Nothing much is happening. Mr. Fixer isn't investigating. As he keeps saying, he is bending and letting stuff happen, minding his own business.

There is a trail of evidence and it all has ties and none of it is information a reader would recognize so it got left out.

I had a glaring trail of clues version and i scrapped it. It felt clunky and when i decided to undefine something else, half of them fell apart. (It involved car parts, specifically speedometers and odometers)

When Mr. Fixer does start putting 1+1 together, it will be out where the reader gets all that information. Because he is not a slouch and the trail is pretty obvious if you know what.you are seeing. He just hasn't looked yet.

I should have tipped the mugging scene a touch more than i did. I tipped the drive by and salvage yard pretty openly.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:04 am

#3 Yep, i fridged Janey. I am a monster. Someone killed that kid we just introduced a few pages ago to send Mr. Fixer on a raging revenge rampage.

Is that the way it will go? Will Mr. Fixer get his emotions in check? Will Janey get justice?

This is Rook City, so maybe.

It being Janey is also a clue.

And, no, it is not Spite.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:05 am

with regard to 2: I think, at least from the description portion, if you mentioned things to put into the scene (like "P.13 Image 3 - goon that smacks his hand with the sledgehammer does so while there is an odometer set to 302456 in the background." or something like that.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
User avatar
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:06 am

#4

Why spoil it? I didnt want to mention the Big Page Image! 14 lines down. It was coming soon enough.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 am

Yeah, the clunky version had stuff like that odometer reading. I took it out when i realized those sorts of clues are irrelevant to a blind mechanic. He can't see it.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Promo time. Issue 2 is almost done. Just need to do some ads and a soundtrack. Should get posted over the weekend.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:33 am

MrFixer2.rtf
(222.36 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
MrFixer2.odt
(51.95 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Ok, here it is, issue 2 of maybe 3...maybe 4.

Just in time for Halloween.

Soundtrack:
Pg1-3 Where is the Love - Black Eyed Peas
Pg 4 No soundtrack, just silent reading
Pg. 5-7 2000 Miles - The Pretenders (it is NOT a christmas song)
Pg 8-16 Let's Go Crazy - Prince and the Revolution
Pg. 17 The Pusher - Curtis Mayfield
Pg 18-20 Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes
Pg. 21-22 Free - The Martinis


As usual, comments are very welcome. In fact, I kinda want to hear what you are liking, hating or even just ok with. Even, an "I read it, would read another" post is nice to see.

both files are the same just formatted for those who have issues with one or the other.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:10 pm

Really digging the pacing, Sal.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
User avatar
Lady Grace
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:54 pm

The soundtrack helps with that. I get an idea for the scene, i figure out what song fits the speed of it and i go from there. Occassionally, i even find one with relevant lyrics.

Overall pacing has been a little weirder. There is a big flashback i want to do but it just doesn't fit the speed. The fights take the space they take. I don't argue with those, it is a kung fu comic.

I got more to do with Tyler for sure. Things i would like to hit for Darren and Ms. Laverne that are less likely. We will see what fits.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:51 pm

Crap, you guys hit the secret download threshold. Now i gotta do more variant covers for #3.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:28 am

Issue 3 is more than half done. Multiple variant covers so save your pennies.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 am

A little Issue 2 bonus. Because a couple folks had trouble envisioning what is where in the garage. This is a little basic no frills layout.
Attachments
Garage Layout.odg
(12.16 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:21 am

And with that done, it is time to release issue #3 on the world. Little change this time. Because we have a team up, we have 2 soundtracks.

The Operative's Soundtrack:
1: Just Give Me a Reason: Pink
2-4: Legs: ZZ Top
5: Little Red Corvette: Prince
6-7: South Side: Moby feat. Gwen Stefani
8-9: The Middle: Jimmy Eat World
10-14: Blitzkrieg Bop: The Ramones
15-19: I Want Candy: Bow Wow Wow
20-22: Formaldehyde: Sons of Elvis

Mr. Fixer's Soundtrack:
1: Just the Two of Us: Grover Washington Jr.
2-4: Nobody Told Me: John Lennon
5: Oh Yeah: Yello
6-7: No Particular Place to Go: Chuck Berry
8-9: Keep a Knockin': Little Richard
10-14: GTO: Ronnie and the Daytonas
15-19: Little Less Conversation: Elvis Presley
20-22: Won't Get Fooled Again: The Who

Because they both see the world very differently.

And before you ask, there is exactly one copy of the 1 in 100,000 variant and Mark already bought it, sight unseeen.
Attachments
mrfixer3.odt
(51.96 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mrfixer3.rtf
(306.9 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby Lady Grace » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:45 pm

"oh, hello baby! You do handle nice."

*sporfle*
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
User avatar
Lady Grace
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:37 pm

The best part of that is that a '64 GTO, having no power steering never handled nice.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head

Re: For you Sentinels of the Multiverse Fans (&comics junkie

Postby salamanca » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:08 am

Since Mark sent questions, I will deliver answers for everybody without trying to do any spoilage.

The editorial note is just for you all reading. wasn't any intent to put it on a page. Mr. Fixer has never had and never will have any romantic interest in The Operative. But everytime they end up in the same room, there is that "prove you are the best fighter in the place" thing that instinctively fires up in both of them.

Cobo is Tyler's new buddy. He was hanging around with the kids in issue one and stole Mr. Fixer's pliers. Cobo is the reason Janey came back and ended up in the alley. He has only been in town a couple weeks.

Yes, Mr. Fixer knows 1 out of 5 is 20 percent, he is agreeing to the deal. And he will be spending that money on Tyler and probably a lot more if he survives issue 4, so don't complain about taking from a kid.

Mr. Fixer threw 4 grinding discs in issue 2, he knows what he did because a good mechanic knows what and where his tools are. He is tossing all of them because after you have a grinding wheel shatter on you, you don't really want to repeat the experience.

Mr. Fixer does know who Tyler's mother is. She is not someone he ever trained.

bit of backstory on the kids.
Tyler: His dad is a small time crook prone to small business holdups. He is currently incarcerated. His mother is a professional shoplifter and very prolific. She still uses Tyler as an unwitting accomplice from time to time. She is rarely home as she spends most of her time avoiding the law.

Janey: Janey's mother is a drug addled prostitute that effectively abandoned the girl about 4 hours after she was born. Both nominally live with Janey's grandmother who has always been far to busy holding down a minimum wage job to keep their rotten apartment to pay more than passing attention to the child. If Rook City had functional child welfare programs, the kid would have been taken in years ago and nobody related to her would have cared a single bit. Janey's dad is unknown even to her mom. Could have been a lot of people.

Cobo just came to town with his dad a couple weeks ago. They are squatting in a building down near the docks. He doesn't talk much about his parents.

The reference to a goat on page 6. goat is a nickname for a GTO.

Page 9. The guys in that van are definitely mobsters and not agents. They are not part of the bigger plan, just guys that got wind of what was happening to their rivals and tried to be proactive.

Page 14 panel 2. Operative wants to know what tipped Mr. Fixer to the other guys. It is just a speech habit I hear her having in my head. "Them/you" either one worked.

And yes, it was something I didn't foreshadow because it was something I wanted surprising all of you out of nowhere. You didn't miss a hint. Unless you thought the same two things our protagonists did.

Yes, I have mentioned Cobo before. We saw him in #1 and talked about him in #2.

And yeah, I am having fun writing those ads.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca
 
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am
Location: in the back of your head


Return to Mundane Matters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron