Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

The place for everything else.

Re: Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:57 am

Just a quick update. Started in on the third Die! TPB and it doesn't get any better (again, to clarify, the people are awful, the story is very good. So when I say not getting better, I'm referring to the people not the story, it's terrific, you should keep reading it).

Also caught up with the latest two issues of Once & Future. Geez this thing is great! You should really be reading this. The one thing I don't like about this comic is I read them so fast they're done in minutes. Then I have to wait another month for the next one!

Third TPB of Scurry (a kickstarter comic I've quite enjoyed) showed up in the mail today. Looking forward to that (the art is top notch and the story is lots of fun).

Youngest is through his first Walt Simonson Thor TPB and into the second one. Daughter is continuing her read of V for Vendetta, I'd forgotten that Eve was only 14...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:55 am

Saw a new comic that just came out on one of my FB comic book groups. It's called Maniac of New York. I not usually one for horror comics but I have to say, I'm intrigued.

https://aftershockcomics.com/category/maniac-of-new-york/
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:04 pm

New Man-Bat miniseries is out.

You may have yeard this one before:

Guy tries to create drug to ueal the deaf, tests it on himself. He turns into a werebat.

Years of using serum to fight crime as half feral winged mouse monster never really works out.

He has once again sworn to never take it again.

And the story starts...

Yep, he is still using. His wife walks out and junkie mentality kicks in. He goes on a super power bender. Folks get hurt. Batman shows up.

Batman proves he is smarter than scientists and discovers via a "scan" the drug is killing our main character. Compassionate Batman carts him off to prison for his final days.

Escapes happen, attempts at redemption are forshadowed.

Short version. ManBat is a junkie.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:05 pm

At Dave's recommendation, picked up Stray Dogs (described as My Little Pony meets Silence of the Lambs) and I have to say I am intrigued.

Also picked up Two Moons, a horror comic from Image. Just the blurb made me think Deadlands. Navaho Union soldier gets in touch with his shamanistic roots only to discover who is the real enemy in this war.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:40 pm

I have now read Strange Academy in trade.

It is very Harry Potter. As a writer, Skittue Youbg is a cool cover artist. Humberto Ramos is his usual self (which I do like)

The cast has 3 too many students.

And the plots are fine as a trade but lousy "nothing happens individual issues.

But a couple of the kids...

One is half Crystal Warrior and half Man-thing.
One has a magic monster leather jacket and is endearing. Two are asshole asgardian brothers.

And one is the flaming head son of Dormammu...named Doyle.

The kids are endearing.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:52 am

I also got the trade of Strange Academy. I also agree it's slow going. BUT the moments of excitement are quite exciting. I think it succeeds where other books (Wolverine and the X-Men I am looking at you here) didn't. I wish to have magic powers and play door tag.

And of course, after reading this book I want to forego Hollow Earth Expedition to play Marvel Heroic Roleplaying... (but I want someone else to run it since I want to play DOYLE*).

My major question though is WHY DOESN'T SOMEONE HAVE A SIMPLE SIZE-CHANGING SPELL SO GUS CAN GO HANG OUT WITH EVERYONE ELSE?!?!

I also got the first trade of Department of Truth. I have heard good things and will report back.

In totally unrelated (but kind of related) news I happened to watch the first episode of Legion on Hulu last night. Wow good start. Totally different take on the character (for those who don't know what I am talking about, Legion is an anti-hero/villain/seriously messed up kid from the pages of The New Mutants back during its heyday Claremont/Sienkiewicz run. He is Xavier's kid and ala Crazy Jane from The Doom Patrol, he has different personalities who have different powers. I believe, though I cannot be positive, he can "absorb" new personalities by incorporating people he sees)

*though now that I think about it, Zoe Laveau would be great. But then there's Dessy, and Toth, and Guslaug, and Shaylee...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:37 pm

Maybe Gus is already under the effects of a size spell and that is as small as giants can get.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:38 am

salamanca wrote:Maybe Gus is already under the effects of a size spell and that is as small as giants can get.

Well Gus* is definitely under some kind of size change thing. Look at the various panels, from just a few feet above the others' heads to gargantuan.

*NOTE for 5 issues I thought Gus was female. but in the 6th issue they refer to Gus as "He" but I could swear I saw Gus wearing some kind of skirt (EDIT: went back and looked it's more of a furry loincloth, and on the page where Toth first goes to swim, you can see Gus in the background without a shirt on)

FIGURED OUT WHY I THOUGHT GUS WAS FEMALE!!!
Vikings character (the show) Auslaug. One of Ragnar's wives (not the most awesome of course, there can be none other than Lagertha!)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:59 pm

I had the exact same disconnect. The facial geatures look like a cariacatured cute girly look. The lion cloth is sort of skirt like and Gus never really talks but paired off early with the girls.

I do not want to play door tag. Some dootlrs lack windows for a very good reason.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:12 pm

Reporting back. DEPT. OF. TRUTH. Go get it. I will say nothing but it deals with conspiracy theories. ALL of the conspiracy theories. You will thank me.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:01 pm

DC has released issue 1 of Titans Academy.

Concept: the Teen Titans of the 80's are all grown up and now running a private school to train superpowered teens. (I swear i have heard that concept somewhere before...)

Who's in it: you are gonna need a spread sheet. There are more bodies here than at the Jean Grey School.

The teaching staff (so far) are the core of the classic Wolfman and Perez era. Nightwing, Starfire, Cyborg, Donna Troy, Beast Boy, Raven... there is a statue for Roy Harper so I am guessing he is still dead from the "let's ruin Wally West" miniseries. They stand around and talk a lot.

Then we have appearances by the Teen Titans. The newest Kid Flash, Bunker, Lobo girl, Jakeem Thunder, Red Arrow and Roundhouse. I mever saw Roundhouse before...he looks like an oompah loompah and has the power to turn into a large ball. (The artist just drew a blur) they waste a 2 page spread beating up clock king.

Then we got the new freshmen the book is allegedly about. We see next to nothing about them and they all seem to have no part of the story except to stand around and listen to Nightwing. A muslim girl named summer that has ice powers so far. A kid named brick that projects EMP bursts but doesn't loke to use that so i guess he will have other powers. Gorilla Gregg... yep another gorilla city resident so he is a tech genius gorilla. Tooby a fat kid that transforms into... a tube... yeah, that is it. They roomed him with turns into a ball kid so you can see where that is gonna end up. 2 kids that have demonstrated no powers yet and a nonbinary effigy patchwork cloth being...i am guessing they are reworking the Ragdoll villain or Ragman hero on this one. And a kid named Dane who appears to have the powers of being late and sucking up.

And 3 kids from Gotham who are the "bad kids" and hate everything going on.

And Billy Batson is in the building but not assigned to any team. (And every team can find a use for Shazam so what the hell?)

And somehow, one of these kids already knows enough about the Titans to be aware of Dick Grayson's stint as "The Red X" which happened decades ago in real time and was never a public reveal. And one of these kids is going to end up being the new Red X...not that we will care because there are too damn many to give anyone a personality.

It's a soapy book. Editorial really needed to cut half the characters to make us care at all and should have followed the Strange Academy route and put the new kids front and center instead of Nightwing and Starfire.
salamanca

Previous

Return to Mundane Matters