three musketeers (books and film)

The place for everything else.

three musketeers (books and film)

Postby salamanca » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:40 pm

Ok, I have been re-reading the books and one thing is perfectly clear...editors and publishers have made a mess of this series. I have at least 6 copies of the original novel and none of them contain all the chapters. Each version has something missing from elsewhere. The "20 Years After" sequel is al ittle better about being complete (as best I can tell) but it's the third book that makes a nightmare. "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the second half of that book. If you want the full story, you need 1-3 other books depending on publishers and where they split the story. I have them all but what a headache made worse by the title to part 3.2 "ten year later" which refers to 10 years after the sequel (actually 30 years later). If you really want a crash course on running a RPG campaign, these books are perfect. Every event centers around the party and the same select group of NPCs. No new people, just the same NPCs in different locations later in life now following different causes. It's a course in efficient use of GM creation time. A valet in book 1 ends up a bishop by book 3. It's suspension of disbelief coincidental how often these same folks run into each other in France.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Re: three musketeers (books and film)

Postby salamanca » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:51 pm

Now for the film part. It's pretty obvious the rest of you cannot accept the best version of this film is the one with Vincent Price as the Cardinal. So we are going to play a little game. CAST THE ULTIMATE VERSION OF THE MOVIE. You may pick any actors past or present to make the best version ever. Feel free to Tardis in dead actors or people well too old for the part currently. But we have ONE RESTRICTION. You may NOT cast anyone who has played in a Three Musketeers or Man in the Iron Mask film. If you want to be doubly awesome cast with the idea of covering the 30 year span of the books. You pick the actor and around what time in their career you cast them from. Cast as much of the film as you want. (i expect at least the 4 leads, cardinal, Rochefort, milady, constance and Queen). I will give you all a bit of time to build a list before I unleash mine (complete with servants because Planchet rocks).
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Re: three musketeers (books and film)

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Ok, not good on exact years I would have them, but here is who I thought might work for the parts.

D'Artagnan - Michael Vartan - (See the movie Never Been Kissed) - he actually speaks French in real life.
Athos - James Naughton (From the Planet of the Apes TV show, at that age).
Aramis - Michael Biehn - (From the Terminator, at that age).
Porthos - John Rhys-Davis (who else! From the time of Shogun).
Rochefort - Adrian Brody - (From the latest King Kong movie, or Hollywoodland).
Cardinal Richelieu - Pete Postlethwaite - (From Dragonheart)
Milady - Roseamund Pike - (Wrath of The Titans).
Constance - Laura Dern - (Jurassic Park)
Queen - Diana Muldaur - (Planet Earth 1974 movie by Gene Roddenberry)
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Return to Mundane Matters