Violent Storm Last Night

The place for everything else.

Violent Storm Last Night

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:35 am

Had a pretty violent storm come through last night around midnight. I had gone to bed early, but the sound of it woke me up because the rain hitting the window was amazing. I was surprised it didn't break it, as it seemed it would. The wind was shaking the whole house, so that one of my bookshelves on an inside wall, was shaking back and forth. I have never seen that bookshelf move in any storm before. It made me get dressed and ready to evacuate my house should anything else happen.
Thankfully we did not loose any power, though I am surprised that we didn't from the strength of the storm. Now just to sit through the ones we are supposed to get today. So far so good, as we seem to be in the "alleyway" between two clumps of storms.

I did look outside this morning to check what the storm had done, and only saw lots of blown off leaves all over the street, thankfully no upturned trees or other damage.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Re: Violent Storm Last Night

Postby Sister Sonya » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:25 pm

There was a storm on Monday night here with gusts of wind up to 85 mph, plus two tornadoes.

I was in Indiana playing a boardgame, the power went off for two hours, and I ended up leaving in the darkness. It was eerie/scary driving on regular streets and expressway without any lights and all of the buildings dark! Crossing the border, the power was on in Illinois.

Getting home, our village lost hundreds of trees, but the only power outage were the traffic lights.
Sister Sonya

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:06 pm

Well, I was wrong about damage.
I hadn't looked out back in the backyard when I posted my first post on this thread. The giant tree we have in the right back corner, and I mean giant, as it has to be at least a hundred years old with lots of branches, the top half broke off and also several other large branches.
Most of it is still up in the tree, and will need to be taken down, but a large part of it came down and landed in the neighbors pool/yard behind us. There is quite a bit of broken wood, from the tree and from both our fence between the neighbor, and also from the neighbors fence on the other side of their yard, as the limb that fell into their yard was long enough to hit both fences.

I'm curious as to who is responsible for the damage to the neighbors yard. My landlord as it came from the tree in his yard, or the neighbor, because it was an act of nature.

Wonder how long it will be before my landlord has a tree company down to clean it up. Personally, if I was him, I would probably take down the whole tree, as we have had a lot of tree damage in the last couple of years from several of the trees around the yard, but we have been lucky it has not hit the house. How much longer can we dodge it?

Edit at 4:44pm 7/04/14 Surprise! I just saw a big orange truck with what looked like an "extender arm" of some sort just back out of the parking lot. I don't know if they talked to my landlord or not, but it did look like a tree removal company of some sort. Though everything is still out back, so don't know what the status is.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:33 pm

Ok, so today I had thought to take the "long" way to work, because I had late shift, and getting out of Natick square is practically impossible during mid-day traffic. I couldn't believe how much tree damage I was seeing in the short time it took me to get to my "long-cut", and having done so, decided it was probably better to swing back around and take my regular route, because the long-cut is a small winding road in the middle of a very forested area, and I was thinking it may be blocked by down trees, and I wouldn't know til I came up upon it. So I more or less just continued til I had circled around the bad area of the center of town, and continued on my way to work.

Work was extremely slow. Watching snail racing would have more energy than I was seeing at work, everyone was bored and wishing they could leave, but then July 5th is usually the most slow day of the year for customers, as most people have gone away for the holiday.

Anyway, I just got home and believe it or not, my landlord had the tree guys come and clean up the tree mess. I only know this because he has his home-made sign out front again, if anyone wants some free firewood.

Edit 7/06/14 Looked out to the back yard this morning, and WOW! Half of the big tree was taken down, and most of it is in large logs almost as tall as I am. The back yard faces East, so now with all this tree trimming, I have a lot more sunshine coming into my bedroom window. Might actually be able to keep a plant there now, with that much light. Used to be a pretty dark room with all the shade from the tree.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:01 pm

A bit of an update. Went to go to work this afternoon, and as I walk out of the house all I can see is a wall of tree limbs. Literally, it was about 4 foot high, and 2 foot wide and ran the full length of the front yard, and slightly beyond to half the driveway, and also down the edge of the driveway. All that was, was the limbs from the tree. I was like OMG! They are gone now, as my landlord had them taken away, but it had looked like he had set up a barricade this afternoon, with the amount of limbs that there was.
Rebecca Iavelli

Return to Mundane Matters