New Job

The place for everything else.

New Job

Postby smafdi » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:40 am

Being as you folks are the second.... third most important people in my life I must share my good fortune with you all.

Let's start with a small introduction to what's been going on in my life recently. So as some of you know I really hate my job. Most of it is due to my boss and the way he "manages" the company. I am/was in a position of authority with out any real power. I was supposed to have people report to me, but if they don't like what I have to say or need them to do they just complain to the boss and he overrides me. I work in a document reproduction facility. For those of you who don't know what that is, think of us as a specialized kinko's for law firms. We do copy work and scanning work where we take paper copies and convert them digitally onto the computer in several different formats.

I was working with Amanda but she has recently been laid off. It 2 weeks after origins our boss decided that since she has been working from home, more hours than when she was coming into the office, she is now considered part time and is no longer privy to paid vacation. This is of course AFTER she takes vacation time off for origins. Also he has a problem visualizing the actual help she has been working from home as we "don't have enough work to go around". So he laid her off after not only revoking the pto she should have had but also waiting to give her the money for her time worked until we were able to "prove" she deserved it.

Fast forward a month.
She is looking for a job gets contacted by some guy about a job based on her "document imaging work". She talks to the guy and figures that i'm waaaayy more qualified for the job than she is but she is still going to interview for the position, but she tells the guy about her "manager" (me) who is probably a really good fit for the job too and has me send my resume to him. I do so, get a call the next morning ~9am from a guy who wants to set up an in person interview for lunch time that day. I go meet with him, he works for a company named "Merrill". They are a multi-million-dollar corporation and they contract with law firms to offer in house document imaging at a competitive pricing. He asks me what I make, i tell him a very small number (which is true) he then proceeds to tell me that the job offers 3-5$ more /hr than what i make and (stupidly) asks if this job is even worth my time..... HECK YEA IT IS! You mean if I get hired not only do I have less responsibility but I also make more money and have an easier time paying my bills? Sign me the hell up. So I go through the rest of the interview, guy really likes me for the job and asks if I can do a phone interview with one of their director of operations later today. I go through his interview 5m in he makes sure I'm still interested in the job since it's more "hands-on" than my current position. Of course I don't give a crap about that I just want a better paying job.

So fast forward to the next morning..... 8am i get a call from human resources for merrill and they'd like to offer me the job at more than I'm making currently. So I took it and I start this coming saturday! Things are looking up and I just needed to share with you all. Thanks for being awesome everyone!

TLDR: Bad things transition into good things
smafdi

Re: New Job

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:02 am

Awesome! Good luck with it, and I hope that your luck rubs off on Amanda, and she finds a great new job too!
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Sister Sonya » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:42 am

Applicants meeting up with the right employment opportunities has always been a problem in free-market economies. That's why networking is so important to keep current. And, that's just one reason why lousy bosses suck.

Things are a little different in government, but networking with people in other departments, and other agencies, works even better. Fortunately, the jobs came looking for me for 43 1/4 years at my agency, but I kept running out of vacation time toward the end and decided to retire!
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:45 am

Ok, just one question before Huzzah!'s all around, Are you still going to be able to make it to Origins next year or do I need to come in a day early and run the two newest for just you and Amanda (and whoever we can round up at the time)?

;)

And now...

HUZZAH!!!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:22 pm

You should return the favor and tell Amanda there is an opening where you used to work.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby smafdi » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:47 pm

dave...... omfg just lol i'll make sure to tell her that.
on word about origins next year i get 2 weeks pto from day 1, i see no problem with getting the time off since i'll be letting them know about it in feb as that's when the fiscal year resets.
smafdi

Return to Mundane Matters