New games I picked up at GenCon!

The place for everything else.

New games I picked up at GenCon!

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:30 am

Lots of fun stuff, mostly RPG related (though I did finally catch up to a certain Sentinels of the Mutiverse lover by getting all the stuff I was missing PLUS their newest game Sentinel Tactics (and it's addition, The Flame of Freedom)). I'll let you know what I think when we finally get back around to boardgame night.

As for RPGs, this is what I grabbed:
Yggdrasill and its supplement The Nine Words (Cubicle 7) I have been on a Viking campaign kick for some time now (see my earlier purchases of Ragnarok, Fafnir's Treasure, and Saga of the Icelanders), not sure where this is going but gonna give it a shot. As a bonus all the Cubicle 7 games came with a free PDF download, WOO! Only thing I didn't like was the cover for the book. It wasn't awful, but for some reason it reminded me of all those old supplements of the bygone d20 era with the large breasted women who have large breasts (because that's really all they had to do with the contents of the book, you remember the ones I mean). Anyway, there isn't even a large-breasted woman on the cover, it just reminded me of that for some reason. Here have a look.

Speaking of Ragnarok, it turns out its a diceless game, instead you use runestones to play, well it just so happens they're for sale so I got me a set of them too (unfortunately, they don't seem to be usable by us 7th Sea fans :( )

Next up is Kuro (also Cubicle 7, so free PDF!) its a slightly futuristic horror game in which all the terrors of Japanese mythology (so things like Kapppa, Oni and Yurei*) are wandering around the islands (which have, conveniently been walled off by a coalition of nations which include everyone other than Japan). Weird and kind of cool. They got me with the cover alone.

*I know, you don't know what Yurei are. Basically they're ghosts or evil spirits. But the pic is, of course, the "wet girl" you see in all those cool movies like The Ring...

Next up is Achtung! Cthulhu, basically what if Hitler really did get obsessed with all that occult knowledge. Its more a setting than a new set of rules (since it works with both CoC 6th Ed and (Ulp, hold on just about threw up in my mouth) Savage Worlds). And bonus, TWO pretty covers

Finally, for my oldest, who is a Brony without peer, I bought Ponyfinder, basically a My Little Pony and Pathfinder mashup. I am terrified to even read it, but he will, of course, love it.

Sorry, that was the only cover I could find.

So what did I pass on?

Victoriana has a new edition out (or at least a new cover for their regular edition). I like the game, I like the idea and I even liked how the books look. But Cubicle 7 seems to be falling into Hasbro's mindset of putting out a new edition every couple of years with this, and I can't justify buying it if the players aren't going to even play (so I can buy them MUCH cheaper at some point later when they go on sale on eBay).

Call of Cthulhu has a new edition out along with a metric shitton of new supplements. I passed on it all since my players don't often play and every single damn edition of CoC is the exact same as the last. They NEVER make enough changes to justify calling their game a new edition, but they do anyway. I will, of course, eventually get all the supplements but that too can wait.

Deadlands Noir a couple of people have raved about this supplement (including Charlie) but I just really, REALLY, hate the new Savage Worlds system. It has never made sense to me, and seemed to have fixed things that weren't problems while adding in a whole new set all of its own. I'm going to stick with GURPS Cliffhangers and Mysteries

Serenity/Firefly (not really sure which name its under this time) MWP is back at it with a "new" edition which they will cease supporting at some undisclosed (but VERY soon) time in the future. Their track record with RPGs will keep me away from them forever.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: New games I picked up at GenCon!

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:39 am

Oh my Gosh, how could I have forgotten?!?!

I didn't actually purchase this (or I should say I bought it but way before GenCon) but I got another copy of one of the coolest new games out there, Wield by none other than John Wick (here's the cover)

Its a great RPG idea, you are a legendary weapon, and those meat puppets who wield you are just extra hitpoints...

Anyway, I got a second copy signed by Mr. Wick himself when I gave him a copy of my book (to thank him for inspiring me to write it in the first place).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby smafdi » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:59 am

I haven't had a chance to try out sentinel tactics since it's been released, though i do have my shiney new copy sitting on the table ready to play XD sounds like you got some great stuff at gencon mark.
smafdi

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:24 am

I'm about a third of the way through Kuro now. Very interesting how they have weaved the horrors coming back into the idea that it might be a good thing...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Return to Mundane Matters