Sell me on The Laundry

The place for everything else.

Sell me on The Laundry

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:49 pm

Been looking at more new, weird games and hit upon The Laundry. Based on The Laundry Files series of books by Charles Stross. Basically you are a member of an underfunded, government agency which is an offshoot of the British Secret Service. You deal with the weird stuff that crawls out of the dark spaces. It's all (or mostly) Cthulhu Mythos based so lots of fun there. Even uses BRP (Basic Roleplaying, the CoC system). So it looks a lot like MiB meets Delta Green.

I have Delta Green (which I love btw) so I'm not sure if I should invest in this (though I did by Stross' first book in the series)

Anyone know, have played this? Tell me what you like/don't like.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Sell me on The Laundry

Postby smafdi » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:13 am

Never played the game, but the books are pretty good, the "second?" one is very good. i recommend
smafdi

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:55 pm

The book I bought was called, The Atrocity Archives
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby smafdi » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:56 pm

That would be the first one. It's pretty good especially if you enjoy cuthullu/old gods stuff. The second book is called The Jennifer Morgue, little thing i found on wiki. Where 2004's The Atrocity Archives is written in the idiom of Len Deighton, The Jennifer Morgue is a pastiche of Ian Fleming's James Bond novels[1] and refers to the real-life Project Azorian (incorrectly named by the press as Project Jennifer)
smafdi

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:08 pm

I'm about half way through the Atrocity Archives, (I go through fits of reading, and I've been writing a lot so not nearly as much reading). It's eclectic. Reads dryly, punctuated with bits of cthulhu-esque silliness. But I am enjoying it.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Return to Mundane Matters