Going to GM for my wife and her friend

The place for everything else.

Going to GM for my wife and her friend

Postby DiscoSoup » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Yea! First time getting to do this. Wife loves board games but is new to the RPG scene. I'm making her character for her. Our friend I think wants to give it a go. Through a few brief questions (pick a European nationality, fighting style, etc.) we deduced that she would be interested in playing a Soldano. When I told her it was specifically based on Inigo Montoya she was hooked.
DiscoSoup

Re: Going to GM for my wife and her friend

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Awesome! Always love to hear folks are still giving 7th Sea a go. For you, DiscoSoup, lemme point you toward The Temple of the Rose and Cross in case you need any handouts or ebooks or somesuch.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby DiscoSoup » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to exposing them to the rich setting. It crosses my mind that I really can't do it all. What would anyone here suggest that I start with. My wife is going to be a Strega, and our friend is thinking Soldano (incidentally that's the exact character concept I have in mind for a San Marcos game). My wife wants me to do her character backstory, so she's the daughter of one of Donello Falisci's first cousins

Her father wants to be prince, so he's betrothed her to Vincente Villanova, nephew of Giovanni, in a bid to get the Villanova on his side for a coup (like that's going to end well). If our friend has me do her background I'm going to have her be a student of Alvara Arcinega's, who is on the run because of her association with him. He's given her a telescope to give to Giovanni Villanova in return for granting her safety from the Inquisition. She's not a part of any conspiracy.

I'm thinking that the two of them can go on the run. Maybe that one pirate captain from the Vodacce book will take pity on them. He's supposedly negotiating to start smuggling Strega out of Vodacce anyway. Perhaps if they go to Montaigne and get Jamais to agree to court Donello he'll nullify her betrothal. Maybe NOM can be involved.

I want the campaign to move quickly so they can sample all sorts of characters (probably not going to the Crescent Empire or Cathay, though). I'd like to introduce them to the secret behind sorcery, Cabora and all that.
DiscoSoup

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:52 pm

Might be fun to deny her the ability to leave (since everyone wants to do the escaped fate witch routine) just have her keep getting put off, and or have her would-be rescuers end up face down in the canal. Maybe even completely coincidentally, but nothing gets a player's paranoia up quicker than Vodacce and the possibility of a conspiracy...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby DiscoSoup » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Yeah. Tangled Strands starts in Vodacce, right? I might work that one into this campaign. So, the wife is playing a violinist/composer/Sorte practitioner. Maybe I should tie in that one phoney composer with his Strega wife. I'm making these characters with 130HP, so they'll be fairly capable.
DiscoSoup

Return to Mundane Matters