7th Sea...is BACK~!!!!

The place for everything else.

Re: 7th Sea...is BACK~!!!!

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:02 pm

Yup looks that way...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby robjustice » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:48 pm

I can confirm, Feburay 9th. Until then teasers go out daily to the mailing list...
-Rob.
www.RobJustice.net
www.SailThe7thSea.com
robjustice

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:43 pm

Ok have to talk teasers. First, they've been releasing some AWESOME artwork for the covers. Second, the books they've discussed thus far have been, 1) Game Book (doesn't look to be separated into Players/GMs, just all in one) and 2) and 3) Nations Book (all the Thean nations in in just two books). AND NOW THE AWESOMEST...

John Wick wrote:Now, you're probably asking, "If all the Nations are going to be in just two books, what other sourcebooks could you do?"

Oh, my friends, we have so much in store to show you. That includes Nations outside of Théah. Not just the Crescent Empire, no. The core book is just the beginning of a long and wide look at the entire world. Théah is just the beginning. We're going to see new cultures, meet new people, learn new traditions and broaden the scope of who is a hero in 7th Sea. In fact, our very first sourcebook...

I'm thinking of mortgaging the house to back this at the highest possible level ever...

Ok here's the art, I just can't resist
Attachments
Nations Book.jpg
Main Book.jpg
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:29 pm

Are you sure your not just going to mortgage the house to try and buy the new art for your walls? :lol: ;)
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:45 pm

If this means Cathay & the Crescent Empire will be sufficiently nerfed beforehand, I'm all for it. :twisted:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:26 am

Rebecca Iavelli wrote:Are you sure your not just going to mortgage the house to try and buy the new art for your walls? :lol: ;)

Wellll...
I did contact the artist to see if I could buy the originals, but they're digital :( so I asked for signed prints (will be way cheaper).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:30 pm

Here's Cover #3 The New World (as if the pic wasn't enough to give it away)
Attachments
The New World.jpg

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:14 pm

Free Quickstart rules are out.

EDIT: Apparently, TPTB wish they not be posted all over the internet, so in respect I need to remove the link.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby smafdi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:44 pm

Digging through the quickstart rules now.... just needed to post something no definite thoughts as of yet though the "raise" system.... hmmmm.
smafdi

Postby Sister Sonya » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:25 pm

I skimmed through the new quickstart rules. My first impression is that it's going to be much harder for GMs:

. It's going to take more time for some players to organize their raises, especially with lots of dice.
All too many players count sums on their fingers, etc..

. The Death Spiral seems to be lots of record keeping for the GM and the players, especially for the latter
challenged by sums.

. Hero points are going to take lots of thought/time, especially for the numbers-challenged.

. If the GM checks up on the numbers and/or choices of his players (see above) that takes away from his
own ad lib time.

Just as various FATE mechanics add additional challenges for the GM with those Rules, similar mechanics offer similar challenges for 7th Sea GMs
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:46 pm

Ok so for those who've skimmed, I have a mechanics question. Regarding the Raises. (and I only ask because I KNOW I'm going to be getting this question all the time)

It says you roll the dice and count each total of 10 as a Raise. So far fine. But lets say that I roll 10, 7, 5, 4, 2, 2. By number I have 30 so it seems like that would be 3 Raises. HOWEVER, If I am just putting dice together, I can do

10 (that's 1 Raise)
7+4 (that's a second)
and then the rest (5+2+2) is just tossed.

Really add them together however you want, you just can't shave off one point from one of the dice to make a 10 for the other

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:50 pm

And just as I hit "Submit" John answered my question on FB. You don't "have 30" you make sets of 10 so there would only be 2 Raises in my example.

HOWEVER he added that you could throw in a Hero Point to get a bonus die after the roll.

(and here's the really cool idea)

Another player could also "aid" you by throwing in one of their own Hero Points thus giving you 3 bonus dice after the roll...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Swordchucks » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:28 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:HOWEVER he added that you could throw in a Hero Point to get a bonus die after the roll.

(and here's the really cool idea)

Another player could also "aid" you by throwing in one of their own Hero Points thus giving you 3 bonus dice after the roll...

FASTBALL SPECIAL!!!!

Swordchucks

Postby Lord_Nabu » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:27 am

I've done some thinking over the pastfew days, and here are my thoughts, some of these things might very well change of course:

pros:
- The new dice rules are OK with me. you only need to add up to 10, and that's quicker than the old system, also you get to use your good rolls, not ignore them, because you would NEVER call out that many raises.

- No more Skills/knacks, and a cleaned up skill list - yes please!

- the "unique skill" bonus is a good idea, I'm not sure it entirely works, but we'll see.

- More general "action scene rules, accepting that all conflict can be dramatized.

- No dice rolls for brutes!

- the art is really nice.

- the hero points are OK, call them drama points instead

cons:
- explain to me why, nostalgia barred, we have to call "successes" "raises"?

- I don't like that we've lost that all stats are important in combat, I know there are good reasons for it, but I still liked it the other way. I particularly liked the divide between brawn and resolve in damage matters.

- I'm not sure on the consequence system.

- I don't like the advantages that allow you to remove someone from a scene "come hither" and "psst, over here".

- I really hope, swordsman schools (why is there only one swordsman in the scenario?) and sorceries are fleshed out more, and given advances.

more might follow
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:08 pm

Woo, nice look at the kickstarter page (before it's opened).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:35 pm

Mike's telling me we can't shell out what they're asking for to make Muffin canon. :(

Lady Grace

Postby smafdi » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:34 pm

I agree with Nabu on alot of his points, on a side note i'm kinda bummed that 10's don't explode or give us another die to roll. That is one of the best parts of rolling the dice currently!
smafdi

Postby kenderleech » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:25 pm

to say nothing of the money weve spent on dice with bombs on the tens.
kenderleech

Postby smafdi » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:39 pm

WAIT! YOU ARE TELLING ME....THERE....ARE....DICE....WITH....BOMBS.....AS.....THE....TEN!>>!>!?!?!?! WHERE HAVE THESE BEEN MY WHOLE LIFE!?
smafdi

Postby Lord_Nabu » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:47 pm

smafdi wrote:I agree with Nabu on alot of his points, on a side note i'm kinda bummed that 10's don't explode or give us another die to roll. That is one of the best parts of rolling the dice currently!

http://johnwickpresents.com/games/7th-s ... start-faq/
Note post number two.

on another note, I REALLY like that taking DWs actually give you an advantage, that's well in theme I think.
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Postby kenderleech » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:59 pm

smafdi wrote:WAIT! YOU ARE TELLING ME....THERE....ARE....DICE....WITH....BOMBS.....AS.....THE....TEN!>>!>!?!?!?! WHERE HAVE THESE BEEN MY WHOLE LIFE!?

I bought about 120 of them a few years back, and gave a bunch to my homegroup for christmas. I still have about 60. Ill give you a set at origins this year.
kenderleech

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:22 am

Ok. The second time through the proposed Rules:

1) It's not clear how the equivalent of Hero Points in 1.0 are utilized to create characters. What if I want three, four, or more Backgrounds? A Hero is in the mind of the beholder...

2) A big consideration in version 1.0: some players are more scene-grabby than others. Either the GM lets the chips fall where they may, or he helps/prompts those that need even a bit more of equal time. The new proposals in 2.0 just seem to give more grab to the grabby, and leave the less pushy/capable/numbers crunchy further and further behind.

3) the GM has to balance/determine a lot more mechanics than before. Frankly, many GMs cannot seem do this well overall now, and it's not so easy to do it well on-the-fly.

I think we need to know more nuts-and-bolts and less bells-and-whistles.
Sister Sonya

Postby smafdi » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:55 am

kenderleech wrote:I bought about 120 of them a few years back, and gave a bunch to my homegroup for christmas. I still have about 60. Ill give you a set at origins this year.

Thanks!

I am happy that there will be exploding dice again, even if it isn't by default, i assume it will be tied into your rank in a skill.
smafdi

Postby Jungen » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:48 am

So, yeah. Funded in 7 minutes. I wonder if the number 7 is significant somehow...

We're just shy of $100,000.

I refuse to admit how high I pledged.

Now excuse me. I only have 6 months to prepare for my game with John Wick...

Seriously though, I'm sad that I didn't come back here immediately when I saw 2nd Ed happening. I would have had LOTS to say on the topic, but fortunately, you've all said most of it. I'm of mixed opinions on the new map, but obviously, it's not turning me off. I believe the original e-mail I received mentioned that Ussura isn't gonna have shapeshifters, and that made me sad, since Pyeryem was my bar-none favorite Sorcery. I LOVE the new art, especially the Porté image, because I never thought that the bleeding wet-meat-tearing imagery was sufficiently invoked in any of the games I played.

Oh look. John just sent out the cover and blurb for the Pirate Nations book...
-Jungen "Jack" von Richtoffen
Jungen

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:52 pm

Speaking of the map Jungen...

And for my two cents I love Love LOVE it! Left us room for Africa (which, lets be honest, should never have been left out).
Attachments
Theah Map.jpg

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters