Captain America: Civil War

The place for everything else.

Captain America: Civil War

Postby Lord_Nabu » Sat May 07, 2016 10:32 am

No, I haven't seen it, and I probably won't untill I stumble across it on DVD for Cheap or on TV. I understand that it's quite good, but the Civil War time-line just strikes me as the epitome of Hero vs. Hero, something Iøm not too fond of.

However, I stumbled across a discussion online, the usual Team Cap vs. Team Stark discussion, that suddenly made me realize, that for me the Team Cap argument makes NO SENSE!. It's probably because I've lived all my life in a Scandinavian Social-democrat welfare-state (and I'm a lutheran to boot) but the idea, that someone like Captain America should be allowed to use his superpowers as he sees fit without any kind of oversight is truly bizarre to me. That his moral Compass is BY HIS OWN RECKONING so infallible, that he truly knows what is best to do with his Superhuman powers scares me.

All it takes is one lapse of judgement or one extremist superhero before that argument collapses.

Sorry, just a stragen hiccup from Scandinavia.
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Re: Captain America: Civil War

Postby salamanca » Sat May 07, 2016 11:57 am

Well, the good news is that the directors took the following from Civil War: heroes get in over their heads, something goes terribly wrong sides get taken, fight scenes.

So most of the book is not an issue.

As for your take, this is the rebuttal: Is Captain America better qualified to decide how and when to use his powers than a government appointed guy with no experience in having or using said powers. (And keep in mind, they just did a movie where the people that were tasked with that all turned out to be Hydra agents).
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Return to Mundane Matters