Soo GEEKED about the New Captain America Movie!!!

The place for everything else.

Soo GEEKED about the New Captain America Movie!!!

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:24 am

Saw this poster for the movie the other day, want, Want, WANT!
Attachments
captain-america-poster.jpg
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Soo GEEKED about the New Captain America Movie!!!

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:30 am

and for those of you who aren't comically inclined, here's it's inspiration (yes this is the cover of Captain America Comics #1, March 1941)
Attachments
445px-Captainamerica1.jpg
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Yeah, there is this whole movie coming out before that featuring this guy and a ring...
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Sorry Sal, gonna have to disagree. I saw the trailers and it's no contest. Cap is gonna rock and GL's costume will be the laughing stock of the superhero world.

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:35 pm

I hate to have to admit this but Ryan Reynolds is gonna own Chris Evans.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:17 pm

So wait, you're saying Ryan Renolds who butchered Deadpool, is going to own Chris Evans who was teh awesome not only as Johnny Storm/The Human Torch and Nick Gant in Push but also as Jensen from The Losers? My money's on Evans

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:33 pm

My hate of Reynolds rivals that of my hate of D20. But he will be more Hal Jordan than Evans will be staid and patriotic Steve Rogers. If Cap were a fratboy, I would totally agree with the casting.
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:19 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:So wait, you're saying Ryan Renolds who butchered Deadpool, is going to own Chris Evans who was teh awesome not only as Johnny Storm/The Human Torch and Nick Gant in Push but also as Jensen from The Losers? My money's on Evans

Wait...was Renolds the guy with the two swords? Cuz I loved that guy.
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby salamanca » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:06 pm

See.... Kara loved that guy. But to clarify, he only played the guy with two swords during the part where he had a face. At the end of wolverine, he was played by some martial arts stunt guy.
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Ah got it.
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:44 am

Well, I got my first look at the Green Lantern's outfit, and the first thing that came to my mind was an old song from a tv commercial....
"Light Bright, making things with liiiight, what a sight, making things with Light Bright!"

Sad I know, but they really should have kept the green glow for his ring only.

Oh, and where is his mask? The picture I saw he wasn't wearing one, and how can you have a secret identity without a mask?
Last edited by Rebecca Iavelli on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:16 pm

Do you mean Green Lantern?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Yep, fixed. Thank You. Getting my Green's mixed up.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:51 pm

See the problem is, I wanted to love GL. Hell I have a bunch of his old stuff in my collection. I especially loved the GL/GA. But when I saw the previews for this, it was just missing the magic I expected. The costume is asinine, Ryan Reynolds is wrong for the part. The whole idea of introducing "The Green Lantern Corps" along with Hal's origin makes the movie way too busy, and the reviews back me up on this.

Its the same problem I had with Thor. They should have done Donald Blake's origin and left it with most other superheroes believing Thor was a bit bonkers (as they thought originally), rather than doing the whole "Asgard" thing.

Cap, however, has everything I expected to see, it seems like pure golden-age superhero-y goodness.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Well, if you could pick someone to have played the part, who would you have?
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:59 pm

See, that's just it, I don't know anyone I'd recommend. I looked around a bunch but none grabbed me and said, HEY THIS GUY WOULD BE PERFECT. (Though I did have a better recommendation for Cap)
Attachments
mark valley.png
mark valley.png (103.09 KiB) Viewed 24880 times

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:04 pm

Well, he is ruggedly hansome enough, but I don't think green would be his color. Or at least not bright green.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:25 pm

No he's not GL, he's who should have been Captain America

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:36 pm

Well Cary Grant but he's very dead now. I went and watched it tonight. It's not the Dark Knight or Iron Man (which it wants to be) but it's as good as Thor. It covers what it needs to twists source material into cheesy summer action menacing clouds over the city and hits a few points I did not expect (like Hal's brothers). I would have liked better shots of various corps members (particularly in space) may have to see it again and sit up front to get a better view. I would watch it again.
salamanca

Postby cpugs » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:53 am

Well how was it????
cpugs

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:39 pm

VERY VERY GOOD! Had all the classic golden-age superhero stuff. LOTS of easter eggs for us geeks (watch for a guest appearance of The (ORIGINAL) Human Torch, the Howling Commandos, Arnim Zola, and a host of other coolness). Since Cap is not a superhero with 'issues' like Spiderman, Daredevil, or even Iron Man, they spent a lot of time showing us who Steve Rogers is and why we should root for him. That, honestly, is the best part of the movie (though Hugo Weaving is, of course, awesome). In that, they hit the nail on the head. Steve Rogers is a hero, with or without powers.

Dave thought Chris Evans couldn't pull it off, but after seeing it, I respectfully disagree. He did all the right things, and the writers took a lot of care to ensure all he said (and did) were believable. The scenes between Chris and Stanley Tucci were heartfelt and funny. They even added a shot of him drawing a very poignant cartoon poking fun at himself. In short it was very dusty in the movie theater.

My only complaint (and its a small one) was that his final helmet sat wrong on his head. Oh and the shield is made of a unique mixture of Adamantium (making it indestructable) AND Vibranium (making it able to absorb any energy). Not just Vibranium as they said in the movie.

Favorite Line? "I've punched out Hitler over 200 times."

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:59 pm

I enjoyed the movie as well (though I'm nowhere near the CA buff that you appear to be, Mark). It was a fun movie, and I am going to see it again with my dad on Sunday.

Have to differ on the favorite line, though. I liked "Go get him - I can swim!" :D
CaitlinCallahan

Postby salamanca » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:34 pm

I'll find time next week to see it (probably thursday). Maybe even be able to overlook Evans. I will concede without watching that it is at even level with the GL movie. (as I have made no effort to watch it again).
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:43 am

Ah, my favorite line(s): " 'Was that a test?' '...he's still skinny.' "
Klcp

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:50 pm

Klcp wrote:Ah, my favorite line(s): " 'Was that a test?' '...he's still skinny.' "

"he's still skinny" was a close second for me as well.
CaitlinCallahan

Next

Return to Mundane Matters